The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can it just be draft day already?

VIC_CITY

I just have such a hard time watching any playoff action. I know the quality of the hockey is way better than anything our beloved Vancouver Canucks put us through this year, but I just don't have that emotional investment. I've switched over to the Blue Jays, which is ok, but it's still early in the season and the Jays offense is a shell of what it was last year, so it's definitely leaving something to be desired. Which brings me to draft day.

This team needs a bit of a shake up, especially on D. Let's assume JB is going to make a big move (or at least try pretty damn hard to). What would you like to see? Personally, I would like to see him take a run at Tyson Barrie. He's a RFA coming off 2 big years and will be getting a pretty hefty raise. As a right shot D offensive D, he is precisely what we need and a local boy to boot. Colorado will want a defenseman back. I'd love to swing an Edler + McCann deal. Would that be enough? Probably not. I would add something minor if it made a difference.

What moves do you see JB making at the draft? I know he is extremely unlikely to trade the 5th, but if he did, what player(s) do you think he'd target?

PS - hopefully this thread isn't too redundant.

I have always maintained this offseason is the most important so far for JB and Linden. We have a high draft pick, loads of cap space and we are starting to see an actual NHL level prospect list. 

The draft is going to be exciting, I would love it if JB could pull a Garth Snow and get defenceman like Leddy and Boychuk off of cap-starved teams. Those shrewd moves have made the islanders consistent winners. 

I am going for San Jose just because of Thornton and Burns playoff beards. Hey, you gotta reach for straws sometimes, hard to not watch hockey :)

I am watching the WHC; Team Finland, Team USA and Team Canada games. I also plan on watching Team Hungary games as I have become a fan lol. 

Don't care about playoffs either. I will watch the WCF though.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ahh, the pain of off-season waiting. It's only begun.

Only five and a half months to go...

Edler and McCann would be a bit of an overpayment.  I think If jb really believed in him get baxk a 3rd round pick with him and roll with it.

I think elders going to have one of his best years this coming year. I bet he feels threatened by Hutton and if he wants to stay on the top line and top pp he needs to play well.

I hope this gives him motivation to be more physically engaged.

JBs probably working the phones every day trying to get a deal done. I think a lot of it is going to depend on TO, they have such a ridiculous number of picks this year 12 - 2 in each of the 1st 4 rounds - they are going to get their pick of a couple of RFA players for sure in trades, and are probably taking their sweet time too. But hey its TO so I have no doubt they'll find a way to mess it up ^_^

I'm using the 41 days for some overdue dog training. 

20 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Edler and McCann would be a bit of an overpayment.  I think If jb really believed in him get baxk a 3rd round pick with him and roll with it.

I think elders going to have one of his best years this coming year. I bet he feels threatened by Hutton and if he wants to stay on the top line and top pp he needs to play well.

I hope this gives him motivation to be more physically engaged.

If McCann reaches his potential, then maybe it's an overpayment. But we're deep at center and no one knows if he will reach that potential. So we're trading from a position of strength and it's a risk we can afford to take.

Barrie is a significant upgrade on Edler, both in current and future projections. Plus Barrie is still only 24 years old, so he likely hasn't even peaked yet.

I understand not wanting to give up on McCann and thus trying to squeak out an extra draft pick in the deal, but if I'm Colorado, that's a deal breaker. Think back to when Boston traded Joe Thornton to SJ. They got a bunch of spare parts. If I recall correctly, the Bruins got a package consisting of Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart. Not sure if there was anything else added? Now that's not to knock any of those 3 players, but they're not Joe Thornton, a guy that is arguably on his way to the hall of fame. So I wouldn't worry about getting any draft picks back (unless they were willingly offered) and I would add to the deal if necessary. We're talking about a 24 year old right handed premier offensive defensemen. Barrie has averaged 51 points the last 2 years. You do what it takes to get a guy like that in your lineup because they do not become available often. So if I'm JB, I'm not griping over spare parts. Give them whatever spare parts it takes to make the deal because you never know, we could be the beneficiary of our own "Joe Thornton".

It's painfully slow. I think I'd prefer a first round exit to so much waiting. Canucks need to get back in the playoffs next year.

Its discouraging to think it'll either be the Blues or Sharks as the western rep in the finals. These are two more teams from a short list that could win the Cup before the Canucks. I guess the Blues have paid their dues, but Sharks haven't suffered nearly long enough. I loved their early days when Canucks would destroy them 7-0 on a regular basis.

Wait....what?

The Jays' offence is better at this point of the year than it was last year. So is their pitching with the exception of Cecil. 

They're .500 now and in baseball that's all you have to be through the halfway mark. With a few lucky bounces, and one blown call, the Jays would be leading the division. 

Anyway....the draft will come. 

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

It's painfully slow. I think I'd prefer a first round exit to so much waiting. Canucks need to get back in the playoffs next year.

Its discouraging to think it'll either be the Blues or Sharks as the western rep in the finals. These are two more teams from a short list that could win the Cup before the Canucks. I guess the Blues have paid their dues, but Sharks haven't suffered nearly long enough. I loved their early days when Canucks would destroy them 7-0 on a regular basis.

Bro...the Sharks have been suffering for YEARS! Every year they go through the same cycle...we're blowing up the team, ok no we'll give them one more shot, that's it we're blowing up the team! Wait...no we'll give them one more shot...THAT'S IT we're trading Thornton and Marleau! Actually let's keep them for one more run. San Jose has been good, bad and then good again with seemingly the same core I place. I'd say they've paid their dues. It's just weird seeing them have success this year.

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

Wait....what?

The Jays' offence is better at this point of the year than it was last year. So is their pitching with the exception of Cecil. 

They're .500 now and in baseball that's all you have to be through the halfway mark. With a few lucky bounces, and one blown call, the Jays would be leading the division. 

Anyway....the draft will come. 

Ummmm...I don't know about that. Well, maybe if comparing starts to each season? I can't recall how their offense started off the season last year? But I'm not sure why that matters, considering their roster was constructed quite differently 1 year ago and this year's offense is basically what we had at the end of last year, when we were tearing the cover off the ball almost every game. So compared to that, they have collectively fallen off a cliff. Last year the Jays led the league in runs scored and scored almost a run a game more than the 2nd place team. That's absolutely nutty. This year we're around the middle of the pack.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

This team needs a bit of a shake up, especially on D. Let's assume JB is going to make a big move (or at least try pretty damn hard to). What would you like to see? Personally, I would like to see him take a run at Tyson Barrie. He's a RFA coming off 2 big years and will be getting a pretty hefty raise. As a right shot D offensive D, he is precisely what we need and a local boy to boot. Colorado will want a defenseman back. I'd love to swing an Edler + McCann deal. Would that be enough? Probably not. I would add something minor if it made a difference.

I would do this deal all day long. I agree that Barrie is exactly what we need. Wouldn't be thrilled about giving up McCann, but you have to give to get, and if it helped get us Tyson Barrie, I would drive McCann to the airport myself. :P

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ummmm...I don't know about that. Well, maybe if comparing starts to each season? I can't recall how their offense started off the season last year? But I'm not sure why that matters, considering their roster was constructed quite differently 1 year ago and this year's offense is basically what we had at the end of last year, when we were tearing the cover off the ball almost every game. So compared to that, they have collectively fallen off a cliff. Last year the Jays led the league in runs scored and scored almost a run a game more than the 2nd place team. That's absolutely nutty. This year we're around the middle of the pack.

Yeah, I'm comparing it to last year. Reyes was brutal, Pillar couldn't hit, we had no LF, and no 1B. 

While the averages are down for Bautista and Martin, EE is better, Saunders LH bat is a huge help, and Smoak has settled in. And, as I said, the pitching is way better. 

The team hasn't gotten hot yet. It will. 

Archived