The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

39 minutes ago, nuck7635 said:

He's definitely worked on his explosiveness. His acceleration is definitely ahead of where it was last year

The report on Bear was he's not feeling well: light headed and feeling in a fog.  I wonder if the hit he took from Hamilton could have given Bear a mild concussion?  Only speculation, of course, but those symptoms worry me - considering Bear's history.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The report on Bear was he's not feeling well: light headed and feeling in a fog.  I wonder if the hit he took from Hamilton could have given Bear a mild concussion?  Only speculation, of course, but those symptoms worry me - considering Bear's history.

i mean there is a flu going around so let's not get too worried yet

and coming back from that side of the world, jet lag can also play a big factor

Edited by nuck7635

I am curious where Green will play Baer this year, they have some history from back in Portland I do believe.

But, should we as a team be looking to give him a contract extension soonish or let him play out the year and then reward him for a good year or determine that after the season?

thoughts?

11 hours ago, Yotes said:

I am curious where Green will play Baer this year, they have some history from back in Portland I do believe.

But, should we as a team be looking to give him a contract extension soonish or let him play out the year and then reward him for a good year or determine that after the season?

thoughts?

I personally think Greener would be out to lunch if he doesn't give Bo, Baer, and Boeser a long hard look. They showed a lot of potential and could very well be our future first line. Baertschi arguably has the lowest ceiling of those three, but he's shown that he's not your run-of-the-mill middle six forward thus far and that he's on the cusp of first line ability. He just needs to push his play a little bit higher this year.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, TonyStrecher said:

Anyone have any thoughts as to what sort of contract Baertschi will get at the end of the year?

I'm thinking something like 4 years, $4m AAV

He's a kind of wild card, to be honest. If he can put up points at a 45-point rate or more, I'd guess you deal is probably close, but there are some factors that could see him off the team. I could see him demanding more, for whatever reason, and it also depends on how our other prospects develop. I'm a big Baertschi fan, but there's a chance we don't need him in the future depending on our our players develop. Then again, having a fully fledged top 6 would probably involve Baertschi as one of those.

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's a kind of wild card, to be honest. If he can put up points at a 45-point rate or more, I'd guess you deal is probably close, but there are some factors that could see him off the team. I could see him demanding more, for whatever reason, and it also depends on how our other prospects develop. I'm a big Baertschi fan, but there's a chance we don't need him in the future depending on our our players develop. Then again, having a fully fledged top 6 would probably involve Baertschi as one of those.

He put up a 42 point pace last year so I think he’s have to around a 50 point pace this year to get 4 mill AAV. However, if he improves his defensive play to the point where he can be a reliable penalty killer, he could probably negotiate a 4 x 4. Based on his play at this point in the year though, I’d say 3.5 x 3 or 4 years is fair. Less than sutter but more than gagner. 

On 11/9/2017 at 9:53 PM, Wilbur said:

Sven closing in on the top 100 of all time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.

101.  Chris Tanev D 363 18 62 80
102.  Sven Baertschi LW 156 40 37 77
103.  Peter Schaefer LW 194 37 40 77
104.  Jiri Slegr D 154 12 65 77

Tanev has 18 career goals? I can't remember one of them

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Tanev has 18 career goals? I can't remember one of them

On the rush, one timers as he drops into the slot as the trailer.

I might be dreaming, but I'm pretty sure he's gone end to end once too. Going all Bobby Orr.. Anyways

Sven's game is shaping up real gud this season. Dude's sneaky and battling hard. Sneaky like a russian

Baertschi's numbers over the first 20% of the season have him at a significantly better scoring rate than any other time in his career. Aside from his 5-game trial season in 2011-12, last year was Baertschi's best season in terms of points-per-game at 0.51. This year, he's at 0.71 so far, on pace for over 20 goals and assists just based on the 68/69 games he's had in the last two years. Pro-rate that to 82 games and he's on pace for 27 goals and 32 assists for 59 points.

All that said, the Canucks have yet to hit a real bad extended patch, which is likely to happen at some point. Though we did just have a fairly rough two games, we haven't had any extended losing streaks like usual. Hopefully they don't come and our players like Baer are able to continue their production.