The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

The defense :picard: Don't get me started on that. Our right side is :sick:

Hopefully by the time Bieksa is gone one of our RD prospects(Corrado/Clendening) are able to take over a regular spot.

LD won't look that great once Hamhuis is gone as well.

Thankfully JB has stocked our D shelf quite a bit this season prospect wise.

I wonder if we keep winning (ie once we're virtually assured of a play-off spot) if the brass might consider bringing Baertschi up for a game or two and resting some of our top players. Would like to see how he'd slot into Higgins's spot on the second line for instance...

Edited by firestorm238

I wonder if we keep winning (ie once we're virtually assured of a play-off spot) if the brass might consider bringing Baertschi up for a game or two and resting some of our top players. Would like to see how he'd slot into Higgins's spot on the second like for instance...

Comets are going on their own playoff run. That includes Sven.

Hopefully by the time Bieksa is gone one of our RD prospects(Corrado/Clendening) are able to take over a regular spot.

LD won't look that great once Hamhuis is gone as well.

Thankfully JB has stocked our D shelf quite a bit this season prospect wise.

By the time Hamhuis is gone IMO, Sbisa's ready for top 4 (especially if he's paired with Tanev as I hope he will be).

LHD are also a LOT easier to get (UFA's/trades) and we also have far more prospect depth (and higher quality) of LHD.

Our real problem is the lack of a 1st pairing capable RHD. We've got two great options for that second pairing in Tanev or Bieksa (though one is clearly trending up, the other down). As well we have some "maybe's" with the likes of Corrado, Clendening etc but we lack anyone who currently is or projects to be a 1st pairing guy.

IMO, that means that one of Bieksa, Hamhuis or Tanev is gone, hopefully this summer, to clear salary for a legit 1st pairing RHD....likely via UFA but possibly trade.

The thing is though, fans in a major hockey market tend to forget those details. Not all of the fans obviously, but some will. We see that kind of thing on CDC all the time.

There's still the question of "was Baertchshi mishandled", etc? There's more than one side to everything and the media pounces on both sides all the time, especially in a Canadian market.

Definitely mishandled. Whatever though, our gain!

Comets are going on their own playoff run. That includes Sven.

By the time Hamhuis is gone IMO, Sbisa's ready for top 4 (especially if he's paired with Tanev as I hope he will be).

LHD are also a LOT easier to get (UFA's/trades) and we also have far more prospect depth (and higher quality) of LHD.

Our real problem is the lack of a 1st pairing capable RHD. We've got two great options for that second pairing in Tanev or Bieksa (though one is clearly trending up, the other down). As well we have some "maybe's" with the likes of Corrado, Clendening etc but we lack anyone who currently is or projects to be a 1st pairing guy.

IMO, that means that one of Bieksa, Hamhuis or Tanev is gone, hopefully this summer, to clear salary for a legit 1st pairing RHD....likely via UFA but possibly trade.

The only player of this UFA crop that even slightly resembles that description is Mike Green. You mean Mike Green?

If we are talking about the year after or during the next season then a trade is far more likely the scenario IMO. In 2016 there might be more candidates but, as we know, they tend to get locked up by their former teAm if they are still in their producing prime or are overpriced and on the decline.

The only player of this UFA crop that even slightly resembles that description is Mike Green. You mean Mike Green?

If we are talking about the year after or during the next season then a trade is far more likely the scenario IMO. In 2016 there might be more candidates but, as we know, they tend to get locked up by their former teAm if they are still in their producing prime or are overpriced and on the decline.

Didn't say it would be easy, that's why Benning gets the big pay cheque and the office at the Rog ;)

But anybody that thinks what we currently have (particularly on that right side) for D is anything more than popsicle sticks held together by rubber bands and chewing gum is not swimming in the reality pool.

Benning's (and Gillis before him) done a fantastic job of shoring up our current and future forward group and getting us depth at both levels on D. The main issue left is on defence. A quality, not quantity issue and I fully expect that's their primary/immediate focus moving forward.

Edited by J.R.

if we wait its possible that Seabrook could replace Bieksa's contract spot.

Yes the right side is really soft. Tanev, Clendening, Corrado and Subban dont exactly strike fear

Our brand of Weber has really contributed; & we all forget about this guy(mostly due to his style/nature)...

Maybe for another yr(or two) we've got to count on collective-strength, as opposed to acquiring that one, key, elite PMD?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

I wonder if we keep winning (ie once we're virtually assured of a play-off spot) if the brass might consider bringing Baertschi up for a game or two and resting some of our top players. Would like to see how he'd slot into Higgins's spot on the second line for instance...

Baertschi has a couple dozen more games left in his AHL career. This is perhaps the most crucial time in his development, to get him out of the funk of the last few years with Calgary, to get acclimated to the new system and refine his game with Green, and to take a major role with a very strong team on a championship playoff run. This is not the Draisaitl Oilers.

You will see him soon enough, don't worry.

Maybe for another yr(or two) we've got to count on collective-strength, as opposed to acquiring that one, key, elite PMD?

Heck at this point I'd settle for another "#2". Doesn't even have to be "elite" or an offensive juggernaut PMD (though that would be nice).

Give me a legit #2 with some decent speed and size that plays the RH side and I'd be thrilled. Anything over that would be gravy.

• Upvote 1

Heck at this point I'd settle for another "#2". Doesn't even have to be "elite" or an offensive juggernaut PMD (though that would be nice).

Give me a legit #2 with some decent speed and size that plays the RH side and I'd be thrilled. Anything over that would be gravy.

I'm confused.

so like a 2nd pairing guy or a Riker legit #2

Baertschi has a couple dozen more games left in his AHL career. This is perhaps the most crucial time in his development, to get him out of the funk of the last few years with Calgary, to get acclimated to the new system and refine his game with Green, and to take a major role with a very strong team on a championship playoff run. This is not the Draisaitl Oilers.

You will see him soon enough, don't worry.

No, I see your point and I agree - but he's also been playing exceptionally well, and getting an NHL pay-cheque and big league experience for 'one or two games' might be nice. Note when I say 'one or two games' I mean 1-2 games and then straight back to the Comets to go hard after the Calder Cup. Also, note that Utica is playing effectively the same system as the Canucks are, so this would be a less jarring transition than it's been in years past.

Edited by firestorm238

If Baertschi comes back and bites Calgary in the a$$ I'm not thinking it will be well thought of in Calgary. As in "how the Hell did this guy end up in a Canucks shirt"

Could be a cam Neely moment for the flames

• Upvote 2

Firestorm238

The only way the Canucks upset their balance by giving Baertschi a game or two is if / when they have clinched a playoff spot.

A Calder cup drive will do him good. If Miller is healthy, Markstrom will be back down for the drive as well, so they may go far.

I'd be surprised to see him with the big club.

Could be a cam Neely moment for the flames

They have done it alot forceing players to play there system which doesn't work for them they have almost destroyed alot of careers yet when those players get traded they flourish see Brett hull,Martin St Louis etc etc

Edited by Violator

No, I see your point and I agree - but he's also been playing exceptionally well, and getting an NHL pay-cheque and big league experience for 'one or two games' might be nice. Note when I say 'one or two games' I mean 1-2 games and then straight back to the Comets to go hard after the Calder Cup. Also, note that Utica is playing effectively the same system as the Canucks are, so this would be a less jarring transition than it's been in years past.

The Canucks are already carrying extra players. He's already played 66 games in the NHL, so I don't see any point in bringing him in for 1 or 2 then sending him down. Plus I believe they've already used up 3 of the 4 call-ups they can make.

He's NOT coming up.

• Upvote 1