The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

i like him aswell, just think the better choice would have been samuelsson. really wish we would have picked him.

that said i hope gaunce can maybe crack the team as soon as next year as 3rd line center maybe?

How do you know the better choice would have been Samuelsson?

Neither of them have played in the NHL yet. All things are still equal.

As for Gaunce being the third line center next year, that's way too soon. The guy is still a fairly raw talent. He'll most likely spend another season in the OHL, and then maybe a season or two on the farm team. So he's likely at least 3 years away.

How do you know the better choice would have been Samuelsson?

Neither of them have played in the NHL yet. All things are still equal.

As for Gaunce being the third line center next year, that's way too soon. The guy is still a fairly raw talent. He'll most likely spend another season in the OHL, and then maybe a season or two on the farm team. So he's likely at least 3 years away.

So playing him with 2 solid players he couldnt possible play a role to a smaller extent to coutourier?

I didnt say he was the better choice, i said i would have preferred if we drafted him, as i think in the long run he would be a better player. thats just my theory. He played so well leading into the draft it impressed me quite a bit, thats why

Wasn't Gaunce touted as one of the most NHL ready in the draft? I think he might be able to make the 3rd line in the 2014 training camp, unless we make some sort of trade or FA signing that puts a proven vet in that spot.

We don't need to rush Gaunce, I'd rather have Schroeder centering the third line next year over Gaunce.

Isn't Laps signed for one more year? Why rush Gaunce when he'll only be playing 3rd/more likely 4th line minutes. Might as well sign Manny for 1 more year and let the kid finish his junior career strong and develope his offensive game best he can before turning pro. Comparing him to Couturier is kinda harsh, he was predicted as a 1st overall pick till the final rankings and has a much more rounded game then Gaunce in almost every way. They're only comparable on the defensive side of the puck, with Couturier being a better skater with more offensive upside. Having the skating advantage he did is what helped Couturier stick his first camp, not just his defensive awareness.

Don't need to rush him into the line up, we should have some nice ready to go pieces to use instead from a goalie deal. I do like his chances to steal someones spot though, he's got size and his hockey sense is off the charts. His number 1 strength is defensive play, AV is probably his biggest fanboy already.

Belleville's game against the Kingston Frontenacs today has been postponed. I have no idea why, but I presume the weather in Ontario right now has something to do with it.

ya we got pounded with snow last night and early today. A lot of main highway shut down because of accidents.

So playing him with 2 solid players he couldnt possible play a role to a smaller extent to coutourier?

I didnt say he was the better choice, i said i would have preferred if we drafted him, as i think in the long run he would be a better player. thats just my theory. He played so well leading into the draft it impressed me quite a bit, thats why

I wouldn't rule it completely, but he would have to do alot of work over the summer.

I think the Canucks would want him to play for the Bulls again since they'll likely have another great chance for a Memorial Cup.

Don't need to rush him into the line up, we should have some nice ready to go pieces to use instead from a goalie deal. I do like his chances to steal someones spot though, he's got size and his hockey sense is off the charts. His number 1 strength is defensive play, AV is probably his biggest fanboy already.

agree

Jensen may challenge for a spot next year, and may make it, especially with the cap coming down.

Manny, Lappy, Higgins, RayRay will all be UFAs, I only really care if Lappy returns, the others not so much

With the drop in salary cap next season Vcr has to blood some of it's young players who are on entry level contracts. Gaunce may be one of them. Jensen, Corrado, Connauton and Lack may be others, Sweatt/Archibald for instance

I'm afraid Alberts, Malhotra, Barker, Raymond and maybe Booth take your pick will be either traded or not resigned to make way. It might come down to either Higgins or Raymond both UFA's.