The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I really hope Gaunce can make the team this year as a 4C. He has more offensive upside than Richardson, and already has a big frame. Plus he could come in handy on the 2nd PP unit and during shootouts.

What concerns me is his point totals haven't risen since we drafted him. I know he played on a good team this year, we he seeing 2C or 3C duty?

He shouldn't. He has the potential to be more than just a 4th line player, he can be a good 2nd line player. He should play top 6 minutes in Utica and slowly translate to a top 9 NHL player. More ice-time equals a better chance at becoming a better player, 4th line minutes will get him to adapt to a 4th liner. We don't want that, we want him to adapt to a top 9 player atleast.

• Upvote 1

Guest Dasein

I agree. Even if Gaunce is our best option on the 4th line, we should send him down to the AHL so that he can develop to be a top 9 forward in the NHL.

I think the only way Gaunce sees 4th line duty this year is through call ups during the year due to injuries, or Vancouver somehow makes the playoffs and outlasts Utica in their AHL playoff run and so Gaunce is available.

I really hope the Canucks don't screw up his development. He should definitely be sent to the AHL for at least a full season unless they plan on giving him minimum 3rd line minutes.

Great faith in the organization bud. We barely have a spot for Corrado or Jensen, so I don't think Gaunce is in our roster unless he really impresses.

Were people on Gaunce because of his lack of speed or because he doesn't use it enough? I don't see any problem with his skating, never saw it since the beginning of last season. Was always a good skater with good balance.

People were on Gaunce because they buy into memes that get thrown around; the "he's slow" meme being one of them. Pretty much a requirement to keep quoting Avalanche's post every 20 pages or so.

apparently he was one of the fastest at the top prospects testing, and one of the strongest at the combine. good stuff, i have a feeling people will harp on his skating, much like cody, but it won't be a real issue (much like cody)

2:10 is of note for those who don't wish to view the whole video. This at least shows that Gaunce is known for his slow feet only by uninformed pundits and certain CDC posters.

• Upvote 4

People were on Gaunce because they buy into memes that get thrown around; the "he's slow" meme being one of them. Pretty much a requirement to keep quoting Avalanche's post every 20 pages or so.

2:10 is of note for those who don't wish to view the whole video. This at least shows that Gaunce is known for his slow feet only by uninformed pundits and certain CDC posters.

It's never been about his overall speed, it's been about his acceleration.

That's always been the knock on him. It's his first three steps that he has worked on over the last couple seasons. That will allow him to react quicker and not get behind the play.

I think Gaunce will surprise people this year. The 3rd line C will be up for grabs all season long. Vey and Matthias are not considered good at C; much better wingers. Neither are competent at faceoffs. Richardson is better suited on the 4th line.

Gaunce doesn't have a lot of flash, but he is mature, very strong and very smart. I can see him going to Utica to develop his pro game, but he will get first callup as a C. He will be impressive and may even end up with the 3C role.

I think Gaunce will surprise people this year. The 3rd line C will be up for grabs all season long. Vey and Matthias are not considered good at C; much better wingers. Neither are competent at faceoffs. Richardson is better suited on the 4th line.

Gaunce doesn't have a lot of flash, but he is mature, very strong and very smart. I can see him going to Utica to develop his pro game, but he will get first callup as a C. He will be impressive and may even end up with the 3C role.

Vey is pretty solid on faceoffs.

Gauncer will make the team! I don't know which one, but he'll make it.

I actually think he will get 30 games this year in the NHL. Probably as first call up because of his defensive play and ability to play both C and LW.

It's never been about his overall speed, it's been about his acceleration.

That's always been the knock on him. It's his first three steps that he has worked on over the last couple seasons. That will allow him to react quicker and not get behind the play.

Yes, and that's wrong. Because scouts and analysts have all said his acceleration and agility needed work.

People aren't making this up.

And, he has, and is, working on his acceleration .. as evidenced by the 'bit' that Kryten shared.

Your pretty brash with your statements. I have been a big Gaunce fan since last years training camp. I have seen what he can bring to the table and I really like it. I really loved seeing the video of him pushing the russian bear up grouse mountain. I think that little snap shot into Gaunce says a lot right there about the kind of leader he will be for us.

Having said that his acceleration was NHL slow at camp last year. Yes, hes a great skater but the NHL is a different beast. His main weakness is acceleration if he can work on that, and it looks like he has ( i.e. lost weight) we will have a steal at 26th overall. I think it was 26th anyways im too lazy to wiki.

Yes, and that's wrong. Because scouts and analysts have all said his acceleration and agility needed work.

People aren't making this up.

Those scouting reports were made prior to the combine and the video even shows one of the scouts admitting that some players have surprised them with their skating abilities. Considering they knocked him for his skating (some for his stride, some for first step and some actually thought him an excellent skater) and he blew the competition away with nine first place finishes, a scout's opinion is hardly infallible (especially over time). The fact the scouts didn't have a consensus opinion on which aspect of his skating they regarded as a weakness, indicates that observation is up for debate (which the video helps of course).

And, he has, and is, working on his acceleration .. as evidenced by the 'bit' that Kryten shared.

Agreed, and thank you Tearloch.

Your pretty brash with your statements. I have been a big Gaunce fan since last years training camp. I have seen what he can bring to the table and I really like it. I really loved seeing the video of him pushing the russian bear up grouse mountain. I think that little snap shot into Gaunce says a lot right there about the kind of leader he will be for us.

Having said that his acceleration was NHL slow at camp last year. Yes, hes a great skater but the NHL is a different beast. His main weakness is acceleration if he can work on that, and it looks like he has ( i.e. lost weight) we will have a steal at 26th overall. I think it was 26th anyways im too lazy to wiki.

If you think my statements were brash, maybe you're being a tad too sensitive (not trying to troll you, just wondering why start your post with that)?

Anyways, totally disagree with the bolded statement. IMO, Gaunce was skating very well at camp last year and played very solid in the pre-season games. He caught Logan Couture on the back-check and took the puck from him clean. IMO, Gaunce had/has NHL speed and acceleration but to your point, Gaunce getting quicker fits the style the Canucks want to play in the future and will help his chances of making the team. Is he currently fast enough for the vision Desjardins has for whatever position Gaunce is up for? IDK, but what I do know is that Gaunce is far from the average skater too many people are making him out to be.

• Upvote 1

Vey is pretty solid on faceoffs.

Talking to Ducks fans...they hated Vey at C. Thought he was much better on W.

Matthias is not a good C...that's why Richardson had to play the 3C last year, with SM on the W.

Imo, Gaunce will end up as the 3C at some point during the season.

Matthias is not a good C...that's why Richardson had to play the 3C last year, with SM on the W.

He never played for the ducks

if ducks fans hated vey at C we should probably play him at C...
  • Upvote 4