The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

it definitely clears up some things... like what type of fruit he likes to consume.

In fairness, it may have just been a dream/vision as I was high on peyote at the time.

But who wouldn't want to watch those pouty lips wrap around a banana? Right?!

8875337.jpg

I have a feeling it may take awhile for Gaunce to become an NHL regular, but when he does he'll be a fixture on the third line for years to come.

Whether that's with the Canucks or not remains questionable, as we've also got Horvat, McCann and Cassels as emerging, dependable two way centres. And if they all keep improving at the same clip, one or more is going to get moved (hopefully for a solid young Dman)

Gaunce will not be an nhl regular. Does not have the foot speed to keep up. Has a big frame but rarely uses it and his hockey IQ is average at best at the nhl level.

Will be lucky to emulate mathias, and that's saying something.

Because foot speed can't be improved?

How did Horvat make it anyway?

Green has had nothing but glowing things to say about the kid, he just needs more development time

Because foot speed can't be improved?

How did Horvat make it anyway?

Green has had nothing but glowing things to say about the kid, he just needs more development time

Take off the rose colored glasses and have an honest assessment of him. He just won't be an nhl regular he will service Utica well but doesn't have the talent to make it in the big leagues. I would love nothing more than to be wrong on him but I've watched a tonne of his games and he just doesn't have it. He's great with great linemates but can't carry a line. Of course Green is going to be positive on him, what do you think he's going to bash him in public like Suter did?

Don't compare him to Bo, useless argument. And no foot speed is not the only thing holding him back.

Edited by canadiangunner

Gaunce will not be an nhl regular. Does not have the foot speed to keep up. Has a big frame but rarely uses it and his hockey IQ is average at best at the nhl level.

Mathias finally broke out at the age of 27. So no I hope he doesn't become like Mathias. Gaunce is a lot more versatile than Mathias. Better at taking the draw too. He is physical when need be, and is a leader.

Gaunce isn't any worse than Bonino at skating. Gaunce will improve.

Top 9 forward imo.

Edited by Jiggs50

Take off the rose colored glasses and have an honest assessment of him. He just won't be an nhl regular he will service Utica well but doesn't have the talent to make it in the big leagues. I would love nothing more than to be wrong on him but I've watched a tonne of his games and he just doesn't have it. He's great with great linemates but can't carry a line. Of course Green is going to be positive on him, what do you think he's going to bash him in public like Suter did?

Don't compare him to Bo, useless argument. And no foot speed is not the only thing holding him back.

I'll take off my rose coloured glasses if you give me your crystal ball to replace them.

He's not going to have to carry a line. He's being groomed as a winger right now and he will be an excellent 3rd liner for many years. He has NHL size, good IQ, and his skating will not hold him back

Why would you leave it at that? Go on and tell them what else is holding him back.

Not really, I said I THINK he'll be an NHLer.

You said he won't be a regular, which to me implies you think he'll be a fringe player at best. On recent Canuck rosters, I'd group guys like Dalpe, Oreskovich, etc. in that group. You really don't think he'll be better than those guys? I do.

• Upvote 1

You said he won't be a regular, which to me implies you think he'll be a fringe player at best. On recent Canuck rosters, I'd group guys like Dalpe, Oreskovich, etc. in that group. You really don't think he'll be better than those guys? I do.

don't mind him, he's just a bitter melon

He said he'd be a fixture on the third line for years to come, doesn't sound fringe to me.

• Upvote 1

And how many times have you seen him play? See how he did in skating at the junior trials? He's not slow by any reasonable measure... or are you just parroting what others have said, like so many did about Horvat's skating?

Matthias is faster than most players, including Gaunce. But that's about the only thing he's better at -- Gaunce is much more well-rounded including physically, both skill-wise as well as between the ears and in the heart. Matthias brings speed and will drive to the net on occasion but brings little else and is why he is replaceable and likely gone in the off-season.

And how many times have you seen him play? See how he did in skating at the junior trials? He's not slow by any reasonable measure... or are you just parroting what others have said, like so many did about Horvat's skating?

Matthias is faster than most players, including Gaunce. But that's about the only thing he's better at -- Gaunce is much more well-rounded including physically, both skill-wise as well as between the ears and in the heart. Matthias brings speed and will drive to the net on occasion but brings little else and is why he is replaceable and likely gone in the off-season.

watching Gaunce, his skating isn't the best, but his positional play makes up for it. I think his playing style will translate to the nhl level thus why he's looked better in the NHL preseason compared to the young stars tourney.

I have watched Gaunce play alot over the last few years mostly his season after he was drafted by the canucks when he played with the OHL Belleville Bulls and my view of him is he is going to be a NHL regular but I have seen him play both the wing and center at the junior level but not the AHL so maybe he has found a new comfort zone on the wing but when he was on the wing in junior I always thought he was less effective. .The player Gaunce always reminded me of was a prime Sami Pahlsson type player how he was always well positioned on defence and played better in the bigger the game plus was money when left open in the slot.

.The player Gaunce always reminded me of was a prime Sami Pahlsson type player how he was always well positioned on defence and played better in the bigger the game plus was money when left open in the slot.

Exactly what I saw in his play in the preseason. Although he reminded me almost exactly of the Pahlsson that was here in Vancouver in the 2013 preseason, he was younger at the time.

Positionally sound, stopping scoring chances and scored random goals due to good positioning.