The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 2h2 hours ago

Gaunce: "I was sleeping when I got the call yesterday. I'm really excited. You dream your whole life for this."

He got call from the Utica GM at 1:30am and could not sleep after that just walking around the house for 5 hours.

Edited by Stierlitz

He is a very mature player and person. Great team building block. Glad to see him finally on the team as I have anxiously awaited his near perfect linear development. I thought he would spend the whole year in Utica and perhaps a few call ups later in the year from injury. But early injuries and he's the best option. Willie wanted him on the team from camp

Gaunce deserves to stay, a wide body with IQ and net front presence..and loaded with intangibles like compete level and defensive capability

and character, and leadership.  I really like him too, but have some issues with which line he will play on and matching that to his skill set.  Is he physical enough for the fourth line?  Is his quickness good enough to play up the lineup?  I guess more games, and moving him around the line up will tell.

You know we've got guys that can move up and down the line up now..I think his speed has improved a lot over last year...but in the Utica playoffs he was a real gamer..I think he has a will to win that'll carry him through a long nhl season

to me he just looks like an NHL player, like ou say - a gamer.  I know he's not a mean spirited player, but it sure would be helpful (in a large body like his) to add that to his game.  Do the Canucks have an MMA coach?  I remember them having a sleep Dr.  Having a fighting (aggressive play) coach would be more value, especially for guys like Guance.  

to me he just looks like an NHL player, like ou say - a gamer.  I know he's not a mean spirited player, but it sure would be helpful (in a large body like his) to add that to his game.  Do the Canucks have an MMA coach?  I remember them having a sleep Dr.  Having a fighting (aggressive play) coach would be more value, especially for guys like Guance.  

Did you even watch him last night? went to the paint knocked a d-man down and got a greasy goal. All you do is complain about him, he played a very effective smart physical game last night. He was aggressive on the fore check all night long and didn't seem out of place on the 3rd line at all.

• Upvote 3

I completely agree with you. Watching him in Utica I really liked his game on the wing. Like you said he doesn't play a nasty game, but he plays hard. Trevor Linden was never a dirty player, but being big, strong, and intense made him very hard to play against. I think he becomes an NHLer for sure, but probably doesn't move out of the bottom six much throughout his career while still being one of those "important players", especially come playoff time. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1

Did you even watch him last night? went to the paint knocked a d-man down and got a greasy goal. All you do is complain about him, he played a very effective smart physical game last night. He was aggressive on the fore check all night long and didn't seem out of place on the 3rd line at all.

yes, I guess you could read into my opinion that I complain about him.  That's not my intent though.  I see him as an NHL player, who could become even a lot better than he is if he was quicker, tougher, or both.  I think him getting quicker will not happen, because that's genetics, so that rules him out as a top six scorer.  He could get tougher though, and add that to his current skill set, and he could play in our top six as a big bodied, mean spirited, power forward.  As he is now, he will be a solid third/fourth line guy.

What's that saying..be careful what you ask for...now we've got different types of young guns busting out everywhere lol...plus add Crax/Sutter/Prust

Guance is a lot bigger than all three of those guys, and he has a lot better hands too.  He's like an itch that you just can't reach.  i think there is potential for a lot more from him.

• Upvote 1