The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

13 minutes ago, combover said:

I like gaunce hope he's back, megna Chaput and shore all got gifted  chances in the pp and with the top 6. Gaunce played every minute on the fourth line. The coach was terrible at rewarding players and it one of the reasons he's gone. Hope gaunce gets a fair look this year he did what was asked of him last season

a guy that played every minute on the fourth line that didn't  score and fans critize. Lol. Willies garbage system of hockey was exactly known offence with the top six let alone the bottom 3, career lows for most of the top six. Except for the kids where 10 goals is a career high. 

Agreed 1000%.  I heard that one of the reasons Tryamkin gave for leaving was the unfair distribution of ice-time.  Maybe Tryamkin was talking more than just about his own ice time?  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, combover said:

I like gaunce hope he's back, megna Chaput and shore all got gifted  chances in the pp and with the top 6. Gaunce played every minute on the fourth line. The coach was terrible at rewarding players and it one of the reasons he's gone. Hope gaunce gets a fair look this year he did what was asked of him last season

a guy that played every minute on the fourth line that didn't  score and fans critize. Lol. Willies garbage system of hockey was exactly known offence with the top six let alone the bottom 3, career lows for most of the top six. Except for the kids where 10 goals is a career high. 

I`m of the opinion, Guance isn`t going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed 1000%.  I heard that one of the reasons Tryamkin gave for leaving was the unfair distribution of ice-time.  Maybe Tryamkin was talking more than just about his own ice time?  

Any 1st year d-man in the NHL who complains about TOI of 16 minutes not being fair should give his head a shake. If this was the main reason for leaving then Van might have dodged a bullet in resigning this guy. As the KHL churns and 6 teams are folded I suspect Tryamkin will return with his tail between his legs. Benning will get him for a cheaper CAP than if he had stayed which is good for the Canucks. I am more inclined to give Tryamkin the benefit of the doubt and assume he left for family reasons.

Either way cutting special deals for Russian players should not be high on priority lists for the Canucks. If they cannot or will not make an adjustment to the NHL rigors then they should be traded or cut. Tryamkin showed great potential but his actions threatened team chemistry, especially for the younger defense prospects.   

On 5/25/2017 at 7:06 AM, Boudrias said:

I think you are right. I am not too worried about Gaunce being picked up. More worried of losing a top 4 d-man unless Benning makes a deal of some kind. I prefer he ships a Dorsett to Vegas and retains some CAP as incentive to Vegas. Dorsett is a 'meat & potatoes' player who could help transition a Vegas team.

Easy -- ship them a Grenier to man their farm team as incentive.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about Gaunce today in relation to the new coach. 

This is a coach who knows Gaunce's game and has already had success at cultivating it into a more productive role.

Assuming he's a Canuck past the expansion draft, I would be surprised if we're still talking as dismissively about Gaunce a year from now.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, nzan said:

This is a coach who knows Gaunce's game and has already had success at cultivating it into a more productive role.

Assuming he's a Canuck past the expansion draft, I would be surprised if we're still talking as dismissively about Gaunce a year from now.

I get the feeling that Gaunce and Greener had a good relationship. I expect this to be a good season for Gaunce. I think we'll see him get a chance on some third line roles here and there to see if he can prove himself.

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I get the feeling that Gaunce and Greener had a good relationship. I expect this to be a good season for Gaunce. I think we'll see him get a chance on some third line roles here and there to see if he can prove himself.

At the very least!

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Completely agree. Gaunce is one of the smartest players on the ice and does exactly what the coaches want him to do. He is capable of far more than what minor league Willie let him do.Watching him play games made me realize how he can be an impact player and how hard he tries every shift which will translate into more points and an enhanced role over time.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Completely agree. Gaunce is one of the smartest players on the ice and does exactly what the coaches want him to do. He is capable of far more than what minor league Willie let him do.Watching him play games made me realize how he can be an impact player and how hard he tries every shift which will translate into more points and an enhanced role over time.

Gaunce will be a huge beneficiary of Green as Canuck coach. Gaunce with a year of NHL experience should come into the fall very prepared.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Thoughts on exposing Sutter instead of Gaunce?  I've seen a couple of mock x-pac drafts from the media going this route.

I think Sutter is already a 2B centre. We'd all be thrilled if Gaunce got to this level. The only argument I think that you can make is that Sutter is overpaid and I'd disagree with that idea.

I do hope we keep Gaunce and they take Sbisa, but who knows.

• Upvote 1

When Gaunce was in Utica, Green had him in a more offensive role, thus it's likely he already knows that Gaunce has more offensive to give.  

I get the feeling that Gaunce will be putting up like 10g this coming season.  Assuming he's not picked up by Vegas.  

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Thoughts on exposing Sutter instead of Gaunce?  I've seen a couple of mock x-pac drafts from the media going this route.

I'd reevaluate my stance on benning if that happened. Be ballsy as hell to do, but Sutter does respect balls. 

Edited by TimberWolf

8 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Just to be clear, is this a ballsy play betting that Sutter wouldn't get picked up? Or simply preferring to lose him over Gaunce?

Next off season would be an ugly offseason for the Canucks.  No Sutter means a huge whole down the middle especially if the Canucks choose not to sign Henrik/or he retires.  Leaving us either to overpay for a UFA, or overpay in a trade to get another tweener centre.

I love Gaunce to death, and i think he has tons of potential, but man it would be ugly if come next offseason we are staring at Horvat and Gaunce only.

Here's the difference:

If Suter is exposed, he'd most likely be gone as he'd have among the most value. The only saving grace might be his cap hit if Vegas has already chosen other cap heavy players.

If Gaunce is exposed, it's not as likely as with Suter as there are other "equal-ish" options comparatively.

From a business standpoint, it really doesn't make as much sense to expose Suter. The reality is we're going to lose a good player, so we might as well be minimizing what we can lose at a value level. It's just smart business in my opinion.