The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Also should add, seems cool as a cuke. Can see this guy bein' a big-$ PO performer, when all our kids are here. For a 3rd line...

Gaunce - Gaudette - Virtanen

Will likely be the best in the league. Playing yrs like the Badger, Torres, Manny trio!

Wow... if only....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Also should add, seems cool as a cuke. Can see this guy bein' a big-$ PO performer, when all our kids are here. For a 3rd line...

Gaunce - Gaudette - Virtanen

Will likely be the best in the league. Playing yrs like the Badger, Torres, Manny trio!

I believe in his final 2 years in the OHL, his PPG increased in the post-season.  Same with his rookie year in the AHL, his PPG went from 0.39 to 0.43.

Gaunce seems like a player that will do what's needed in the regular season, but once the intensity cranks up during the playoffs, he gets more intense as well (something coaches has been critical of him).  As there will be more clutching and grabbing, and it becomes a game of attrition, a bigger body like him can excel in a longer series and deeper in the run.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

His game is suited to postseason play. He tries so hard to be intelligent about his hockey and does a lot of work to get the puck. The question is about what he does once he has it.

I think what he's been doing is focusing so hard on his defensive play, partly because of his extremely defensive usage, that he's been extra cautious about any offensive breaks. He was maybe starting to try and jump in a little more and take better advantage of the chances he's been getting lately. Hopefully it's starting to click more.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Gaunce is defensively gifted? lol.. people here will say whatever they want. 

I think you'd have an extremely difficult time giving evidence that Gaunce isn't defensively gifted.

• Upvote 1

I am not overly optimistic about BG.  He doesn't seem to have any intensity for a guy 6' 2", 217 lb.  His plus minus is 0 & 5 points (4 goals & 1 assist).  He was also a first round pick.  Compare him to Jake who is 6' 1"  & 213 lb. His Plus minus is -2 and has 12 points (6 goals & 6 assists).  He is biger than Jake and he never seems to use his size at all.  He seems like a nice fellow but I am not convinced he is as good as some make him out to be.

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

I am not overly optimistic about BG.  He doesn't seem to have any intensity for a guy 6' 2", 217 lb.  His plus minus is 0 & 5 points (4 goals & 1 assist).  He was also a first round pick.  Compare him to Jake who is 6' 1"  & 213 lb. His Plus minus is -2 and has 12 points (6 goals & 6 assists).  He is biger than Jake and he never seems to use his size at all.  He seems like a nice fellow but I am not convinced he is as good as some make him out to be.

He was never a physical guy.  His game has always been molded defensively like Manny Malhotra.  

I don't ever recall Malhotra ever running guys over, pasting them to boards or anything either... and they're about the same size too.

Just solid defensive plays, positioning, etc.  

Not every bigger player needs to be a physical force (although we wish Gaunce to be).  He does finishes his checks and battles along the boards.  For a player that's on the 4th line and on the PK, he's doing what is expected of him.  

Virtanen plays with the Sedins and is expected to provide some offense.  His 12 points should be a disappointment.  Gaunce has 5 points playing with Nic Dowd and whoever TG left off in the top-9.... that's what you expect from a 4th line player.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gaunce is an NHL player.  Boucher and Goldobin at this point are not.

Goldobin, might end up as an Nhl player; but imo it is too late for Boucher.

Starting to get concerned about Goldy as well.

• Upvote 1

lol. I dont see Gaunce as any more defensively better than our list of AHLers Chaput, Megna, Boucher, Archibald. Only point is Gaunce is still relatively young and can hopefully develop into a better player. But NHL is not the place for player development - its the real deal. Boucher is just 24 years old btw, 1 year older than Gaunce. And way more gifted than Gaunce offensively. So Gaunce getting so many games while Boucher is left in the AHL to rot seems unfair to me. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2018 at 3:37 PM, shayster007 said:

You are either a complete and utter troll or know literally nothing about hockey.

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol. I dont see Gaunce as any more defensively better than our list of AHLers Chaput, Megna, Boucher, Archibald. Only point is Gaunce is still relatively young and can hopefully develop into a better player. But NHL is not the place for player development - its the real deal. Boucher is just 24 years old btw, 1 year older than Gaunce. And way more gifted than Gaunce offensively. So Gaunce getting so many games while Boucher is left in the AHL to rot seems unfair to me. 

I guess that settles it. The winner is 'know nothing about hockey'.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You're right. We should not have developed Boeser in the NHL and kept him in the AHL this season. The NHL is not the place for player development....

This is the problem with generalized statements like yours. Some players develop nicely in the NHL. Other players develop better in the AHL. Some can even develop better in Europe. Everyone develops in a different way and will react accordingly.

And I can't agree with you on Boucher. Boucher has holes in his defensive game that need filling. Hopefully he's improved now that he's back up, but time will tell there.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1