The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

On 31 May 2016 at 10:54 AM, Captain Woodget said:

I once had high hopes for Gaunce; looks like he'll make the NHL, but any offense we hoped from him likely won't appear. Still, if he can play a shutdown 4LW role, and maybe chip in on occasion, that's all you can hope for.

He does think that he is more suited to play in a shutdown role at C4.  When Granlund signed Benning made the comment that he noticed other teams are using their 4th line to develop top-9 players.  It kind of suggested a different role for the 4th line with Granlund at C4.  

Gaunce played mostly with Horvat before injuries moved him to C.  It sounds like WD wants to keep Horvat in his checking role but this time around with defensive wingers, so maybe LW3 could be a spot for Gaunce next year.

Gaunce is our Higgins replacement with a better ability to play center. 

I could see him being a tweener that gives us depth and strong 2 way play. He could get 20 goals if he played more top six minutes, but would be good anywhere in the line up depending on injuries. 

Producing tweener forwards has been a Vancouver specialty. Gaunce is the latest version,  He will be underrated, un. Appreciated and extremely valuable in the coming years. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Gaunce is our Higgins replacement with a better ability to play center. 

I could see him being a tweener that gives us depth and strong 2 way play. He could get 20 goals if he played more top six minutes, but would be good anywhere in the line up depending on injuries. 

Producing tweener forwards has been a Vancouver specialty. Gaunce is the latest version,  He will be underrated, un. Appreciated and extremely valuable in the coming years. 

That is very sad. Not that Vancouver hasn't ever produced any skilled players, but in past years it's been grinder city in here. I really hope we draft someone with world class skill and let him flourish here.

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

That is very sad. Not that Vancouver hasn't ever produced any skilled players, but in past years it's been grinder city in here. I really hope we draft someone with world class skill and let him flourish here.

Gaunce has plenty of skill.  He's just a sluggish skater, so he can't play the rush skill game.  Plus, define skill.  JV is one of the best body checkers, and fastest skaters in the league.  Are these not skill world class skills?  OV has world class skill for scoring goals.  Has he won a Cup?  What's Toews' world class skill?  

Gaunce has a really high hockey Q.  Is that not a skill?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Gaunce has plenty of skill.  He's just a sluggish skater, so he can't play the rush skill game.  Plus, define skill.  JV is one of the best body checkers, and fastest skaters in the league.  Are these not skill world class skills?  OV has world class skill for scoring goals.  Has he won a Cup?  What's Toews' world class skill?  

Gaunce has a really high hockey Q.  Is that not a skill?  

You're right Alfy, perhaps I should've been more clear. Skill I meant as in playing a more finesse game. Like the Sedins, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Kuznetsov, Tavares, Giroux, McDavid, and like you mentioned, Ovechkin and etc... Does it make more sense now? 

Gaunce is a great prospect, but he's definitely not skilled in THAT way...

Also I'm not really sure what you're trying to imply by asking me if OV has ever won a cup. Are you trying to insinuate that we don't need skill to win a cup? If so, I'm not really sure how you got there from my post. All I'm saying is that I wish in the last decade and a half or so, we develop a player with elite skills (yes, the kind that I just explained to you) because I recognize that in order to win a cup, you need both skill AND toughness.

And quite frankly, I'm starting to get a little tired of you putting down other posters for wanting more skill on our team. What's wrong with wanting more skill on our team? All we've got are the Sedins and that's pretty sad. Nobody is saying if we ice a team of skilled players with no physicality on the roster, we'll be able to win a cup. If we want to win a cup, we need a blend of both.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, suitup said:

You're right Alfy, perhaps I should've been more clear. Skill I meant as in playing a more finesse game. Like the Sedins, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Kuznetsov, Tavares, Giroux, McDavid, and like you mentioned, Ovechkin and etc... Does it make more sense now? 

Gaunce is a great prospect, but he's definitely not skilled in THAT way...

Also I'm not really sure what you're trying to imply by asking me if OV has ever won a cup. Are you trying to insinuate that we don't need skill to win a cup? If so, I'm not really sure how you got there from my post. All I'm saying is that I wish in the last decade and a half or so, we develop a player with elite skills (yes, the kind that I just explained to you) because I recognize that in order to win a cup, you need both skill AND toughness.

And quite frankly, I'm starting to get a little tired of you putting down other posters for wanting more skill on our team. What's wrong with wanting more skill on our team? All we've got are the Sedins and that's pretty sad. Nobody is saying if we ice a team of skilled players with no physicality on the roster, we'll be able to win a cup. If we want to win a cup, we need a blend of both.  

I am not intending to insult anyone's opinion.  My apologies if my comments gave that impression. :rolleyes:

i see elite "finess" as useless, unless that player is also mentally tough.  Gaunce is clearly mentally tough.  I think that's part of JB's getting guys with character - mental toughness. 

• Upvote 1

Benning said all season in regards to Gaunce and Shinkaruk he'd like to leave them in Utica for 2 or 3 years until they're over ripe and can step right into an impact role in Vancouver.

Shinkaruk is gone now but I won't be surprised if the same plan remains for Gaunce. He'll probably be injury call up #1 but if their choice is to have him in Utica or as a 13th skater in Vancouver, my bet is he goes to Utica.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I am not intending to insult anyone's opinion.  My apologies if my comments gave that impression. :rolleyes:

i see elite "finess" as useless, unless that player is also mentally tough.  Gaunce is clearly mentally tough.  I think that's part of JB's getting guys with character - mental toughness. 

Haha yeah mental toughness is one of the things that separates the ones that make it and the ones that don't right?

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Haha yeah mental toughness is one of the things that separates the ones that make it and the ones that don't right?

You don't think guys like the Twins, P.Kane and Johnny hockey aren't mentally tough?  

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

as opposed to the shady character, mental weaklings other GM's covet?

Brilliant!! Thank you for pointing out the genius of JB, Gillis would have never come up with a strategy that clever.

Hey, maybe we'll just collapse 5 guys right to the net off every face off this year, just block shots, like having 5 goaltenders? We are bound to score a couple when the puck deflects off our players faces and goes the length of the ice to catch the other goalie napping.

That would REALLY be putting our mental toughness to good use, only character guys block shots right? Sweet! Renew my Seasons tickets pronto! This will be so much fun to watch...

On 31/05/2016 at 4:54 AM, Captain Woodget said:

I once had high hopes for Gaunce; looks like he'll make the NHL, but any offense we hoped from him likely won't appear. Still, if he can play a shutdown 4LW role, and maybe chip in on occasion, that's all you can hope for.

On 01/06/2016 at 1:50 AM, shazzam said:

I would be absolutely shocked if he gets close to 20 goals and 40-50 pts. Not trying to put him down or anything.

Look at the growth in his production in just his second year in the A. 

It would seem to suggest that there's some room for growth at the NHL level as well.

27 minutes ago, nzan said:

Look at the growth in his production in just his second year in the A. 

It would seem to suggest that there's some room for growth at the NHL level as well.

True, although his playoffs would indicate he has a lot further to go.

7 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

as opposed to the shady character, mental weaklings other GM's covet?

Brilliant!! Thank you for pointing out the genius of JB, Gillis would have never come up with a strategy that clever.

Hey, maybe we'll just collapse 5 guys right to the net off every face off this year, just block shots, like having 5 goaltenders? We are bound to score a couple when the puck deflects off our players faces and goes the length of the ice to catch the other goalie napping.

That would REALLY be putting our mental toughness to good use, only character guys block shots right? Sweet! Renew my Seasons tickets pronto! This will be so much fun to watch...

What's blocking shots have to do with mental toughness?  I see a mentally tough player as one who first accepts his role, and then plays that way - regardless of consequences.  The elite skilled guys mentioned previously take a lot of physical abuse.  They are targets, who have the puck a lot to be effective.  Mental toughness, for these players, would be to accept they are going to get pounded, attracted, and insulted, while never deterring them from controlling the puck.  

3 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

True, although his playoffs would indicate he has a lot further to go.

how's that?

the only available comparison I see (at least at the level of basic stats) is that his production actually went up between regular season and post season in the 14/15 year. looks great to me!

19 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Benning said all season in regards to Gaunce and Shinkaruk he'd like to leave them in Utica for 2 or 3 years until they're over ripe and can step right into an impact role in Vancouver.

Shinkaruk is gone now but I won't be surprised if the same plan remains for Gaunce. He'll probably be injury call up #1 but if their choice is to have him in Utica or as a 13th skater in Vancouver, my bet is he goes to Utica.

Wouldn't surprise me either, even though Gaunce has more than earned a shot on the big club.  But it's a numbers game and he's got another year without waivers.  Even if they move Burrows and Higgins, they'll probably sign a UFA forward so it will work out the same.  Frankly, I like Gaunce at 4C way more than Granlund and think he would consolidate the heavy lineup that's forming from our D out, but Weisbrod likes Granlund a lot so that's the end of that.