The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

20 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

They are both responsible players with Eriksson being a bit better in the offensive zone. I would rather have Gaunce though and use the cap room on a better player

Agreed. Fans have been big on keeping vets to shelter the youth so they can develop. The question is how many vets. Many nights Ericksson is playing top 6 which I am not crazy about. To a big extent his role is being eclipsed by the youth and the signing of vets Roussel and Beagle. Mott is coming into his own and Leivo can move up and down. If EP40, BB and Bo are top 6 then I want Goldy, Jake, Baer and sometimes Leivo playing the other slots in the top 6. Ericksson should be on the list to move at the TDL.  

• Upvote 1

As a long time advocate for Gaunce I really think he now needs to decide if he really wants to play in the NHL.

I just feel he is too "gentle" for the show. He has a big body, doesn't seem to lack fitness or stamina, is fairly quick as we have seen but the BUZZ seems to be dissipated after two or three games in the NHL. 

Soon there will be others who may in fact lack his level of hockey IQ but have the desperation to succeed and will show him how it's done, alas for him it will then be likely too late.

Victor Oreskovich comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Agreed. Fans have been big on keeping vets to shelter the youth so they can develop. The question is how many vets. Many nights Ericksson is playing top 6 which I am not crazy about. To a big extent his role is being eclipsed by the youth and the signing of vets Roussel and Beagle. Mott is coming into his own and Leivo can move up and down. If EP40, BB and Bo are top 6 then I want Goldy, Jake, Baer and sometimes Leivo playing the other slots in the top 6. Ericksson should be on the list to move at the TDL.  

Yes i agree. If Eriksson ia not good enough to score and ia used in a shut down role alongside the other vets, i would rather have Gaunce develop in that role. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Easy to say 'trade him'  but who's trading for him?

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

As a long time advocate for Gaunce I really think he now needs to decide if he really wants to play in the NHL.

I just feel he is too "gentle" for the show. He has a big body, doesn't seem to lack fitness or stamina, is fairly quick as we have seen but the BUZZ seems to be dissipated after two or three games in the NHL. 

Soon there will be others who may in fact lack his level of hockey IQ but have the desperation to succeed and will show him how it's done, alas for him it will then be likely too late.

Victor Oreskovich comes to mind.

Wanted to be a fire fighter and maybe now he is. :towel:

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Not saying it would be easy. Maybe retain some CAP? 

I think we're likely 'stuck' with him for another year or two. Which isn't the worst thing, other than his cap hit that doesn't particularly matter right now given how much space we have. Until then, he's a half decent (if grossly overpaid) middle six, 2 way player that has good details.

Meh.

6 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Got a feeling that Sutter will be taking Schaller's spot and Schaller will be waived. Gaunce will stay put in Utica at least for now.

Now with Leivo injured, Sutter comes in for him and Gaunce could still push for Schaller's spot. Goal and assist in Utica for him today.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Now with Leivo injured, Sutter comes in for him and Gaunce could still push for Schaller's spot. Goal and assist in Utica for him today.

Good point. I like the way Gaunce has responded to clearing waivers and realizing that no team was willing to claim him. Hopefully it motivates him for the rest of the season in Utica and he comes into training camp next year with a big chip on his shoulder and a determination to prove everyone wrong about him.

Well; we at least can hope that is what happens.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Good point. I like the way Gaunce has responded to clearing waivers and realizing that no team was willing to claim him. Hopefully it motivates him for the rest of the season in Utica and he comes into training camp next year with a big chip on his shoulder and a determination to prove everyone wrong about him.

Well; we at least can hope that is what happens.

I am still holding out hope that Gaunce makes it back before the season ends. I am not one of the fans who expected playoffs this year but that is fading. I still hope that Benning can make some TDL deals to move a couple of vets out. Schaller, Gagner, Ericksson can go. Not much of a market but the Canucks need the roster space. Goldy also likely gone but I see no hurry to do that.  

I like that Gaunce is doing really well in the minors. I also like that he isn’t gifted a spot in the majors to “develop”. If he can’t force his way onto what is still one of the weaker rosters in the NHL, then so be it. We’ll see where it goes, but this is exactly the way a competitive organization should work. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, CanucksJay said:

They are both responsible players with Eriksson being a bit better in the offensive zone. I would rather have Gaunce though and use the cap room on a better player

We don’t know that Eriksson is any longer the better offensive player in relation to Gaunce, because Gaunce has never had the offensive opportunities that Eriksson has had, except in the minors - where Gaunce is doing pretty well offensively and defensively.  Of course, Canuck management has six million reasons to play Eriksson ahead of Gaunce.  But as indicated above, Sutter is one of only a small set of our older forwards that could bring a decent return on a trade - and we have both Gaudette and Gaunce pressing for a spot now, and Madden to come.  So, if we are not to make the playoffs this year, and maybe even if we do, this might be the time to move Sutter - if the right deal comes along.  Also agree that Granlund is not a long term solution, but I don’t see him bringing much in return.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We don’t know that Eriksson is any longer the better offensive player in relation to Gaunce, because Gaunce has never had the offensive opportunities that Eriksson has had, except in the minors - where Gaunce is doing pretty well offensively and defensively.  Of course, Canuck management has six million reasons to play Eriksson ahead of Gaunce.  But as indicated above, Sutter is one of only a small set of our older forwards that could bring a decent return on a trade - and we have both Gaudette and Gaunce pressing for a spot now, and Madden to come.  So, if we are not to make the playoffs this year, and maybe even if we do, this might be the time to move Sutter - if the right deal comes along.  Also agree that Granlund is not a long term solution, but I don’t see him bringing much in return.

I am pulling for Gaunce. 

I am happy Gaudette is in Utica currently. I hope he and Gaunce push each other to become better players. Gaunce had a good camp and a good 2 game stint with the canucks but was demoted again. 

I was hoping he would keep a good attitude and find a way back to the nhl. It serms that he is working hard down there and producing. 

Gaudette has also had a good camp and has been sent to Utica. He has come in with a good attitude and working hard down there. Ideally, if both could be part of the roster come trade deadline, i would be happy.

I would definitely rather have gaudette and Gaunce over Eriksson and Sutter. 

• Upvote 2