The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Saw Guance and Subban play for the Bulls last night in Mississauga. I was surprised to see 16 in the lineup. He had a better game than I would have expected after just coming back from camp on the west coast. Played key minutes and put up a PP assist. It was a typical Guance game. Not flashy or anything but at key moments he is right there. Not much finesse but very reliable.

Subban looked awesome. I think he's going to light up the O this year.

Edited by bd71

Not sure why Gaunce was sent down and Horvat is still with the team. Gaunce is bigger, stronger, faster (barely) and much more NHL-ready than Horvat. Problem is neither of them should be in the lineup, MG just doesn't have the balls to spend to the cap and find a 3C

I think Torts eluded to something like his tempo and pace needs to improve. From the games I've seen Gaunce play, in the offensive zone he tends to glide and wait patiently for a chance at creating a play often, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think that's to Torts' preference.

By comparison, Horvat shows hustle and a willingness to forecheck in an aggressive manner, which is probably what Torts wants (higher tempo).

Gaunce does have size, but he's pretty reluctant to use it (physicality).

I'd have to say Gaunce does have Bo beat in the defensive zone, Gaunce can read plays so well and does the little things right.

Just my 2c :P

I think Torts eluded to something like his tempo and pace needs to improve. From the games I've seen Gaunce play, in the offensive zone he tends to glide and wait patiently for a chance at creating a play often, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think that's to Torts' preference.

By comparison, Horvat shows hustle and a willingness to forecheck in an aggressive manner, which is probably what Torts wants (higher tempo).

I'd have to say Gaunce does have Bo beat in the defensive zone, Gaunce can read plays so well and does the little things right.

I thought Gaunce should have gotten a look. He was a little slow in reading plays in the offensive zone, and as a result was slightly out of position, but otherwise looked fine.

He needs to work on moving his feet in the offensive zone this year in junior and his supposed "lack of speed" and "poor skating" will disappear.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

Pretty much agree. I thought Guance's hesitation on the forecheck might have been simple caution since he is a center. I think they had him at LW the last two games. What was encouraging was he seemed to be getting better with each game. I am sure there is aspects that we cannot pick up from watching on TV.

I don't mind Horvat and Shink getting some pro games but all these kids should be back in junior. Any 18 year old who sticks in the NHL has to dominate or show unreal talent. These kids are good but not that good. I do not want another Brule.

Pretty much agree. I thought Guance's hesitation on the forecheck might have been simple caution since he is a center. I think they had him at LW the last two games. What was encouraging was he seemed to be getting better with each game. I am sure there is aspects that we cannot pick up from watching on TV.

I don't mind Horvat and Shink getting some pro games but all these kids should be back in junior. Any 18 year old who sticks in the NHL has to dominate or show unreal talent. These kids are good but not that good. I do not want another Brule.

Honestly, I think he's just smarter about hockey than Torterella. I have little to no faith in JT, as a hockey coach, beyond being a good motivator.

I didn't see Gaunce have one bad shift all pre-season and despite playing with absolute plugs (where Bo and Shink played with NHL calibre players) he consistently made good plays and got and generated quality scoring chances. He was, imo, the most consistent Canuck in the games he played. While I agree, Boudrias, that all three should be back to Jr, gaunce heavily outplayed the other three top prospects and should have been kept to start the season. Something smells funny about the whole thing and it likely has to do with Schneids.

Honestly, I think he's just smarter about hockey than Torterella. I have little to no faith in JT, as a hockey coach, beyond being a good motivator.

I didn't see Gaunce have one bad shift all pre-season and despite playing with absolute plugs (where Bo and Shink played with NHL calibre players) he consistently made good plays and got and generated quality scoring chances. He was, imo, the most consistent Canuck in the games he played. While I agree, Boudrias, that all three should be back to Jr, gaunce heavily outplayed the other three top prospects and should have been kept to start the season. Something smells funny about the whole thing and it likely has to do with Schneids.

Torts: My feeling about Torts so far is how far he swing the pendulum over to the d-side more than AV's puck possession offence? I was critical of AV's over reliance on his transition so when I saw Torts overloading zones on defense it looked good. It might tighten up the d-zone and make Lu's job easier. How much it hurts the offense will be determined. Something else I saw last year with the NYR's PP was the o-zone play where the C comes out high trying to draw a d-man with him. The two attacking d-men would either pinch down for a two on one with a deep winger or pass the puck down to the winger for a 2 on 1 with the other winger. I thought it was pretty interesting. I'll wait on Torts before judging.

Guance: I agree with your comment about Guance not getting top line talent to play with. His foot speed might have pidgeon holed him before he could adapt. With his size I suspect it takes him some time to get going in a season. If he has a defensive mindset(which centers have), especially playing wing when he is normally a center, it wouldn't help trying to break in. I was impressed with his vision. I really like this kid.

Horvat: I think you are reading to much into things if you think Horvat was getting a break because he was the Schneider return. He might get more of a look because his size suggests he might come into the NHL a little faster. He does carry himself very well and he was doing well in the FO circle. Speed is decent. I don't know about Torts or Gillis but when Coach Hunter says he is a good one I would listen.

Shink: I must not be seeing what everyone else appears to be. I rank Shink last on the top 4 list. Corrado-Guance-Horvat-Shink. Not a put down. He has a great shot but simply has to get a little older and a little heavier. I would not roll the dice on this kid. Van should play it safe and put him back in junior. Bring him back up at the end of the year.

Edited by Boudrias

Gaunce named captain and got 2 assists in his first game with the Bulls. Reading the (HF) Bellevile brd and the word is that he will probably be traded at some point, possibly to London. That would be awesome to have Horvat, Subban and Gaunce on the same Jr team. The team that will probably win it all this year.

Gaunce named captain and got 2 assists in his first game with the Bulls. Reading the (HF) Bellevile brd and the word is that he will probably be traded at some point, possibly to London. That would be awesome to have Horvat, Subban and Gaunce on the same Jr team. The team that will probably win it all this year.

Just need McEneny traded too :P

Oh that would be sick.

I read somewhere he could be traded to Plymouth Whalers go it from hfboards

Yeah, I think it's inevitable that he'll be traded this year. Belleville's got a terrible-looking team, almost all of their good players from last year are gone except for Gaunce and Subban... and since this is junior hockey, it make more sense for the Bulls to deal them to contenders and grab some picks to rebuild. Gaunce on London with Horvat would be too sick.

I thought Gaunce should have gotten a look. He was a little slow in reading plays in the offensive zone, and as a result was slightly out of position, but otherwise looked fine.

He needs to work on moving his feet in the offensive zone this year in junior and his supposed "lack of speed" and "poor skating" will disappear.

I have reading some of the scientific literature on hockey speed training. (See, for example, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101112101939.htm.)

The big question is whether it is possible to "teach speed". From what I can tell it is possible for players of Gaunce's age to improve speed. The big issue focussed on the by several people, including Torts and Suter, was Gaunce's "first step" speed, which was apparently a reason he was shifted from centre to wing in the Canucks pre-season. Centres need to move quickly off the face-off.

I hope Gauce is doing intenisve training on hockey speed drills and on "power skating" and I hope he works with Gary Roberts or someone similar in the summer to build this skill. This would take time away from other skill development and general practice that Junior teams do, but I hope he is focusing on his first step speed.