The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I personally didn't like how they handled Kassian when they first traded for him. Playing him 6 minutes a game with Lapierre and Wiese on the 4th and expecting him to get better offensively when all he's working on is stuff he doesn't really need to work on. I think it set him back and would have been better served a year in the ahl. Also I think Shinkaruk and Jensen have shown more to earn spots on this team that there really isn't any spots to earn.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Vey Hansen

Richardson Matthias Dorsset

Unless there is a trade I just see that Benning brought in too much nhl talent to keep our prospects developing in the minors.

I'm very doubtful Vey will be playing C much on any line.

I'd say as of right now Vey starts on the 2nd over Kassian but they'll both swap back and forth based on their play/merit.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Vey/Kassian

Higgins, Horvat/Richardson, Kassian/Vey

Matthias, Richardson/Horvat, Hansen/Dorsett

I think Kassian has earned the right to start there. It's his spot to lose

I agree we should move Vey to wing, It's something I've been thinking about for awhile aswell.

Vey isn't good enough on Draws, and with his speed/playmaking ability the Wing could suit his game more.

Horvat then stays on the team as a center (and IMO he has earned it). And I would put him on the third line.

Horvat should stay in the NHL because he can help our team win games right now, hes probably going to emerge as one of our best faceoff men, he's a good forechecker, he's strong defensively, he can bring some offense and as he gains more experience & gets more confortable his game will only improve.

Going back to junior wouldn't be the right call IMO, after seeing him play in this pre-season its easy to see that's he's ready to play right now.

I agree we should move Vey to wing, It's something I've been thinking about for awhile aswell.

Vey isn't good enough on Draws, and with his speed/playmaking ability the Wing could suit his game more.

Horvat then stays on the team as a center (and IMO he has earned it). And I would put him on the third line.

Horvat should stay in the NHL because he can help our team win games right now, hes probably going to emerge as one of our best faceoff men, he's a good forechecker, he's strong defensively, he can bring some offense and as he gains more experience & gets more confortable his game will only improve.

Going back to junior wouldn't be the right call IMO, after seeing him play in this pre-season its easy to see that's he's ready to play right now.

I don't think he's ready, persay, but I don't think sending him down to Jr is going to do him any good now that I've seen him play. I'd really like to see some kind of an exemption rule to the 20 year old minimum from the CHL. I don't want to see the CHL gutted, of its best players, but it's also a development league and it makes no sense to stunt a players development to merely sell tix.

Glad to see you're coming around ;) Horvat and Richardson are our best options for bottom 6 C's.

IMO Vey should be on 2nd line W.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Vey

Higgins, Horvat, Kassian

Matthias, Richardson, Hansen/Dorsett

Vey/Kass and Horvat/Richardson can easily swap as their play dictates.

Completely agree, can see the 3rd line becoming the second line as well. Hopefully Horvat can keep up his F/O prowess, it'll get him into meaningful situations and help overall confidence.

Bonino being a below average Faceoff guy doesn't have me too excited about him. I'm actually not excited about him at all.

Edited by Western Red

I don't think he's ready, persay, but I don't think sending him down to Jr is going to do him any good now that I've seen him play. I'd really like to see some kind of an exemption rule to the 20 year old minimum from the CHL. I don't want to see the CHL gutted, of its best players, but it's also a development league and it makes no sense to stunt a players development to merely sell tix.

I saw someone on CDC suggest allowing teams to have a maximum of 1 player exempt from this rule.

Its gunna be like a Scott Laughton situation. Last season Laughton was highly touted to make the Flyers but really wasn't ready nor was he really able to do much more in Junior. Yet he got his 5 games at the start of the season and sent back down to Oshawa where he wasn't expected to be offensively dynamo, yet scored 87 points in 54 games.

I feel that will be the same case for Horvat, where he will get his x amount of games at the beginning, be returned to London and absolutely ham it up showing he has another offensive gear and be ready come next year.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

So you'd overlook a full half season of being the teams best fwd because of two pre-season games? Good plan

Yes. It's clean slate for everyone with the new coaches and new season and all He was given opportunities to show what he can do but he did not succeed.

In fact, that half 1/3rd season of success came on the third line, playing with Richardson and Matthias.

In my opinion, only forwards who are allowed to under-perform in the pre-season and yet maintain their position on the top two lines are the Sedin twins because they have proven record of success. 1/3rd season of success is not enough to guarantee you anything. Kassian needs to learn that and then, he can become a better player.

Was anyone else impressed with Horvats speed last night. Now that he isn't pacing himself, he looks faster and more aggressive in the forecheck. I was impressed.

I was flat out shocked with his speed. Especially a couple forechecks, one of which was on Yandle. From the center line to the hash marks he made up like 15 feet on him. Keith Yandle isn't exactly slow..

Its gunna be like a Scott Laughton situation. Last season Laughton was highly touted to make the Flyers but really wasn't ready nor was he really able to do much more in Junior. Yet he got his 5 games at the start of the season and sent back down to Oshawa where he wasn't expected to be offensively dynamo, yet scored 87 points in 54 games.

I feel that will be the same case for Horvat, where he will get his x amount of games at the beginning, be returned to London and absolutely ham it up showing he has another offensive gear and be ready come next year.

Yeah, I think he deserves to get that 9-game look. A part of me really hopes he stays but I have a gut feeling that, barring any trades, he gets returned to London.

What's your definition of ready? Serious question...

Because I have raised this before.

1. Ie He is certainly capable of playing at the NHL level , we can all see that.

2. But, is he BETTER than any of the players he will be replacing and its clear to me he hasn't 'beat out his competition' but rather just shown he can compete at this level.

3. Issue then is a tradeoff for Benning. Do you end up likely having to move a player (assuming Shink and or Jensen stick which one should) for unproven players, who may just fade, face challenges etc, as many young players do.

4. Don't forget Ryan Strome who has a much higher ceiling than any of our young guns was sent back to Junior (as have many stars in the NHL), its not as 'bad' as many here are suggesting.

5. Keep in mind that Benning has stated his focus is also to win now, so arguably he needs to ice his best lineup for now as well, not just be concerned with 3 years hence.

Edited by KassianBeastMode

Neither Matthias nor Vey seem suited to the bottom-6 center role. Neither is good on draws, and the latter doesn't have the defensive abilities (at least, at this point).

I think Horvat is already as-good-or-better than anyone but Richardson for that role.

Also, remember the problems we've had at Center over the last few years? If we send down Horvat, we have limited options at center even before injuries hit. And when they do (and they will), we'll be cursing the fact he's stuck in Junior, going through the motions.

• Upvote 1

Just to further clarify, the ELC's they sign have nothing to do with if they can go to Utica or have to go back to junior.

Shinkaruk also qualifies for the AHL because he's played a year more in junior than Horvat (Shink started junior in 2010/11 where Horvat started in 2011/12). Once a player has 4 years of junior they can play in the AHL regardless of age.

We should be greatful Shinkaruk can go to the AHL this year, its a joke Horvat cant...

I think it was clear after Arizona that Horvat isn't going to replace Richardson for now.

At the same time, it was clear that Vey is really bad defensively. His offense is something we need, but what's the point if he can't retrieve the puck, get out of our own zone and translate defense into offense? He really looked like he needs to start on the wing.

Honestly, even though Horvat can't take over for Richardson as the primary shutdown guy, he still looked good enough to play 4th line minutes behind Richardson. Our team would be a lot more sound with Horvat on the 4th line than Vey playing center on the bottom 6.

The only way Vey is effective is if Richardson gets all the defensive zone starts so that we can give Vey sheltered offensive zone starts - just like we did with Hodgson.

Horvat just might make it if the organization thinks he can't improve his offense by going back to junior. That's going to be a really tough call to make.

Totally agree, good post.

Bonino being a below average Faceoff guy doesn't have me too excited about him. I'm actually not excited about him at all.

This is another reason I like the line of Burrows, Bonino, Vey.

Bonino is LH'd and Vey RH'd and they can take turns taking draws on their strong sides and should allow them to be a bit more aggressive and give a slight bump to their face off %'s and the team more possession.

Neither Matthias nor Vey seem suited to the bottom-6 center role. Neither is good on draws, and the latter doesn't have the defensive abilities (at least, at this point).

I think Horvat is already as-good-or-better than anyone but Richardson for that role.

Also, remember the problems we've had at Center over the last few years? If we send down Horvat, we have limited options at center even before injuries hit. And when they do (and they will), we'll be cursing the fact he's stuck in Junior, going through the motions.

Pretty much all of that ^^^. No Horvat means Matthias is our 4C IMO and an injury to him or Richardson and our supposed centre depth starts to look a bit thin.

Yes, we can call up Gaunce, Lain or Archibald but IMO Gaunce needs time in Utica learning to be more tenacious/improving his compete level and Archibald/Lain are no Horvat. No offense to those two guys but that's a step down in quality.

From TSN:

Horvat's had an excellent camp," Benning explained on The Bro Jake Show on TSN Radio 1040 Vancouver on Wednesday morning. "Our young players have all showed up and they've played excellent in training camp and the pre-season games. We still have a couple more exhibition games and then we'll meet as a management group, sit down and talk about (if they stay with the team).

"Bo's done everything that he could do to make it a tough decision for us and we're happy about that."