The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

could be a sternum/chest injury as well........his upper body got pretty compressed there

He really bounced back up after the hit. Hoping that doesn't mean that he felt fine and then something in his back started to tighten up. Don't need another Hodgson issue.

could be a sternum/chest injury as well........his upper body got pretty compressed there

I had something similar in rugby, where I separated my sternum-clavicular (opposite end of the collar bone from a separated shoulder). That took a bit to fully heal for contact and movement, but for Horvat he didn't react the way I felt when I got hurt so I'd be tempted to say it's just soreness.

#Canucks: Injury to shoulder of Bo Horvat isn't as bad as first thought. There were no breaks, likely just a contusion.

RT @HockeyAbbs: Horvat: did not suffer break and injured shoulder area considered positive to heal, compared to what could have occurred

good news!

Also,

More @TSNBobMcKenzie: Bo Horvat would need to be out more than 1 week to get an #AHL conditioning stint approved. #Canucks

Edited by PavelsElbow

A conditioning stint is usually reserved for players not having played in a longer period due to injury. Horvat being out for a week or two is unlikely to have a conditioning stint approved since he's been healthy all summer and has played both in the preseason and the young stars tourney.

What's your definition of ready? Serious question...

Because I have raised this before.

1. Ie He is certainly capable of playing at the NHL level , we can all see that.

2. But, is he BETTER than any of the players he will be replacing and its clear to me he hasn't 'beat out his competition' but rather just shown he can compete at this level.

3. Issue then is a tradeoff for Benning. Do you end up likely having to move a player (assuming Shink and or Jensen stick which one should) for unproven players, who may just fade, face challenges etc, as many young players do.

4. Don't forget Ryan Strome who has a much higher ceiling than any of our young guns was sent back to Junior (as have many stars in the NHL), its not as 'bad' as many here are suggesting.

5. Keep in mind that Benning has stated his focus is also to win now, so arguably he needs to ice his best lineup for now as well, not just be concerned with 3 years hence.

1. Yup

2. Yes he is, who would be better? Lain? Archibald? Jensen is a top 6/top 9 guy, so wouldn't a more versitale player make sense in that role? To me he is better and him being a center that has the offensive & defensive ability to play anywhere in the bottom 6 (and perhaps later fill time in the top 6) make him the best option. And he's had a better camp than some of the Vets aswell (Hansen, Matthias, Burrows)

3. Well now that Bo is hurt, Jensen will stay for awhile in his place, then when Bo comes back, they will either send Jensen down or move a Vet, but by then they will have a much better feel for the situation so it will be a better time to make that decision

4. Ceiling has nothing to do with how NHL ready a prospect is, Strome wasn't completely ready he wasn't as big/strong and he wasn't good enough defensively, Horvat is ready, he's big/strong, good defensively in addition to a good offensive game that at this stage would be better for him to develop in the NHL rather than the OHL. Strome wasn't at NHL levels with those other things besides offense, Horvat is.

5. And Horvat is apart of the group that gives this team a chance to win, this isn't a situation where he isn't capable of helping the team win, he is. He's already good on faceoffs, and like I said he's responsible defensively in addition to an offensive game that will grow. He's more than capable of being a 4th line center right now that can win important draws & play the PK, and as the year goes along he should grow and take on a bigger role.

An AHL conditioning stint would be ideal for him at this point. Remember how long Salo was burried on one during the beginning of 2011? We did some fine cap chicanery with our D that year. No reason why we can't bend some other rules this year!

To all you aspiring posters out there, if you get a chance to use the term chicanery in a sentence, you use it.

#DonTaylorAdvice

• Upvote 2

I agree that Horvat is NHL ready. He's got the size, strength, he's worked with a speed skating coach over the summer and his skating has really improved, he's trimmed down a bit and moves quicker, and he's got the defensive side of his game mastered. The offensive skill is there and it will come when he gets more comfortable playing at the NHL pace. I see him slotting into a 4th line center role very nicely. Some might think he isn't an upgrade over the other options for his position but he actually is because he's got great offensive potential. And you want to start the process of getting prospects into the line-up so we can infuse the roster with more youth. There has been very little of that on the Canucks in recent times and its high time for it.

I'd rather see him playing a big role in London this year, and play in the World Juniors, than warming the bench here at 19 years of age. That is a horrible development plan; strictly third tier, Canadian franchise perennial doormat stuff. Besides, his play likely hasn't wowed management in the same way it seems to have moved everybody here so much. I'm very pleased with his progress but he isn't ready for prime time yet. Playing fourth line minutes in 45 games and then being sent to Utica to try to get his game back is definitely not the way to go here.

I'd rather see him playing a big role in London this year, and play in the World Juniors, than warming the bench here at 19 years of age. That is a horrible development plan; strictly third tier, Canadian franchise perennial doormat stuff. Besides, his play likely hasn't wowed management in the same way it seems to have moved everybody here so much. I'm very pleased with his progress but he isn't ready for prime time yet. Playing fourth line minutes in 45 games and then being sent to Utica to try to get his game back is definitely not the way to go here.

He needs to get acclimated to the pros. A third line role with second unit pp time would be better for him than another year in the OHL. Maybe send him to the WJC as well.

Guest Dasein

He needs to get acclimated to the pros. A third line role with second unit pp time would be better for him than another year in the OHL. Maybe send him to the WJC as well.

It sure would, except Bo would be on the fourth line getting no pp time at all.

I agree that Horvat is NHL ready. He's got the size, strength, he's worked with a speed skating coach over the summer and his skating has really improved, he's trimmed down a bit and moves quicker, and he's got the defensive side of his game mastered. The offensive skill is there and it will come when he gets more comfortable playing at the NHL pace. I see him slotting into a 4th line center role very nicely. Some might think he isn't an upgrade over the other options for his position but he actually is because he's got great offensive potential. And you want to start the process of getting prospects into the line-up so we can infuse the roster with more youth. There has been very little of that on the Canucks in recent times and its high time for it.

He's far from "mastering" the defensive side of the game. For example, he was caught quite a few times in no man's land on point shots where he didn't realize and was caught awkwardly between the shooter and the goalie and creating a screen. If you're not in position to block, get out of the way, or get closer to the shooter to try to take away the shot. His defense is pretty good and he could pass in the NHL but he still has lots to learn to master the defensive side of the game in the NHL.

Also if he does have great offensive potential, then we might be better of sending him back to junior to develop that further in London's 1st line than have him stuck in a limited role on Vancouver's 4th line.

• Upvote 2

It sure would, except Bo would be on the fourth line getting no pp time at all.

He's far from "mastering" the defensive side of the game. For example, he was caught quite a few times in no man's land on point shots where he didn't realize and was caught awkwardly between the shooter and the goalie and creating a screen. If you're not in position to block, get out of the way, or get closer to the shooter to try to take away the shot. His defense is pretty good and he could pass in the NHL but he still has lots to learn to master the defensive side of the game in the NHL.

Also if he does have great offensive potential, then we might be better of sending him back to junior to develop that further in London's 1st line than have him stuck in a limited role on Vancouver's 4th line.

I agree that he has not perfected his defensive game either. But he can only learn those things in the NHL (or even AHL). How many players in the OHL, can pin Horvat in his own zone?

In the article (I forgot who posted it) regarding how hard it is to transition to NHL as a centerman, Matth Duchene says that for most plays where the OHL players would just shoot, the NHL players hold on to the puck and make passes in a way that you've never seen before. He cites Thornton as an example where he got caught in the no man's land and they scored on him easily.

The coaching staff and the management seems to want to give him at least a few games. Let's see if he adjusts and learns. If he does, he will stay beyond the 9 game mark.

Guest Dasein

I agree that he has not perfected his defensive game either. But he can only learn those things in the NHL (or even AHL). How many players in the OHL, can pin Horvat in his own zone?

In the article (I forgot who posted it) regarding how hard it is to transition to NHL as a centerman, Matth Duchene says that for most plays where the OHL players would just shoot, the NHL players hold on to the puck and make passes in a way that you've never seen before. He cites Thornton as an example where he got caught in the no man's land and they scored on him easily.

The coaching staff and the management seems to want to give him at least a few games. Let's see if he adjusts and learns. If he does, he will stay beyond the 9 game mark.

I didn't say he needs to go back to junior to perfect his defensive game. The OP I responded to seemed to think Bo had great offensive potential, in which case it's better to let him go back to London and realize those offensive potential playing top minutes rather than play a limited role on the 4th line in Vancouver.

If Bo goes back this year, it's not going to make him better defensively next year or get him any more ready for the NHL in terms of defense. Those little plays, like you say, can only be learned at the pro level. The only reason we should send Bo back is if there is more offense in his game that could blossom playing top minutes in London rather than 4th line minutes in Vancouver.

Going back would basically set Bo back a year on getting acclimated to NHL speed, but at the same time, if going back to junior for another year means his offense reaches a ceiling it never would if he stayed on a 4th line role here, I would say it's worth it in the long run. Besides, he would only need a few games to catch up to game speed next season if he made the jump then instead of now. It would be a minute difference, if any.

I don't have the answer. That being said, I think Bo has more offense that he can realize in junior, but at the same time, it's tempting to keep him since he seems like he just needs a few games to get acclimated to the NHL and be good enough to play a 4th line role. It's going to be a tough decision for management to make - whether keeping Bo at age 19 or sending Bo back is good for the long term. I think he'll get a few games as well. It would certainly make the season more exciting if Bo made the team.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

Hasn't moved management? GMJB came out a few days ago saying that Horvat had done everything possible to force them into a hard decision.