The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Guest Dasein

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Horvat sits out the season opener to completely heal up. He could be ready for the home opener on Saturday on national television.

If not, he could get a whole week off before our 3rd game to be ready. He'll definitely be slotting in for game #3 against EDM, possible for game #2 against EDM, and unlikely for game #1 against CGY imo.

Edited by Dasein

Good for Bo. It'll be nice to see one of our somewhat recent draft picks playing for us for once! I think he needs 3rd line minutes for it to be worthwhile for him in the NHL.

Sedin Sedin vrbata

Burrows bonino Higgins

Matthias Horvat Vey

Dorset. Richardson Kassian

Kassian had almost no PP time last year, and played with Richardson and Booth for most of it and was still 3rd on the team in time adjusted scoring, yet you put him on the 4th line and play Higgins on the wrong side to fill the 2nd line RW spot?

SEDIN SEDIN VRBATA

HIGGINS BONINO KASSIAN

BURROWS HORVAT VEY

MATTHIAS RICHARDSON HANSEN

• Upvote 1

Good for Bo. It'll be nice to see one of our somewhat recent draft picks playing for us for once! I think he needs 3rd line minutes for it to be worthwhile for him in the NHL.

Kassian had almost no PP time last year, and played with Richardson and Booth for most of it and was still 3rd on the team in time adjusted scoring, yet you put him on the 4th line and play Higgins on the wrong side to fill the 2nd line RW spot?

SEDIN SEDIN VRBATA

HIGGINS BONINO KASSIAN

BURROWS HORVAT VEY

MATTHIAS RICHARDSON HANSEN

This lineup still risks a major 2nd line drought with Higgins on it. Then again, he's earned it. I see him better fit on the third line.

It is important to note though, that outside of the first line that seems destined for greatness, all other forwards could be on any other line from veteran to rookie.

The internal competition on this year's Canucks' roster is what will push the team into the playoffs.

Horvat deserves it, Jensen deserves it, and Shinkaruk deserves it. If Horvat didn't have to go back to the OHL, it might be an even fight between the three afore mentioned finalists.

Glad he sticks.

This lineup still risks a major 2nd line drought with Higgins on it. Then again, he's earned it. I see him better fit on the third line.

At least we have options now if that happens.

Jensen, Shinkaruk, or Vey, will gladly fill his spot if he struggles.

It is important to note though, that outside of the first line that seems destined for greatness, all other forwards could be on any other line from veteran to rookie.

The internal competition on this year's Canucks' roster is what will push the team into the playoffs.

Horvat deserves it, Jensen deserves it, and Shinkaruk deserves it. If Horvat didn't have to go back to the OHL, it might be an even fight between the three afore mentioned finalists.

Glad he sticks.

I don't really see us as having an actual 2nd line this year. I see it more as having 3, 3rd lines! Whoever is rolling best will get a little more ice time!

So ... just like last year? :]

The circumstances are much more different this time around having four lines instead of just three that Willie D (NOT TORTS) can and will roll.

Last year, our full lineup was pretty good when they were healthy. We were 3rd in the west leading up to new years. It's when we started attaining injuries where our lack of depth was being exposed, and players like the Sedins were being overplayed (leading to they themselves also being injured) because Torts didn't have many other trustworthy guys he could depend on. A lot of this was Gillis' fault.

Although Torts did his fair share of damage to this team and the two big elephants in the room were also a major distraction, the main reason the wheels fell off was because of the severe lack of depth throughout the lineup, not stupid myths like: "Torts losing the dressing room because he went after Hartley"... really, how does that even make sense??? Lack of depth led to even more injuries to overplayed players, as well as fatigue.

The difference between last season and now is huge, and I just can't believe how so many people are still so oblivious to this. Though we're nowhere near as good as we were in 2011, there's just no way we will finish as badly as we did last year. Vancouver will be battling for a playoff spot, and there is absolutely no doubt about that. I believe that we'll finish 7th-9th in the west. Linden and Benning are smart enough to see that this is a team that can compete and make it to the big dance (the playoffs), so some of you deadbeat CDC dwelling losers need to smarten up. Anyone who wants to tank (my goodness...) for McDavid has an absolute losers mentality. These group of players aren't losers. They are ready to win.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

Whether or not Bo sticks beyond 9 games likely has to do with how the other centres perform in the dot. If Bonino, Vey and Matthais are at 50% or close on draws, that's probably good enough given the other things they contribute. If they are 45% or lower, that's a real concern, and makes Horvat look more necessary. On the other hand, if we have no secondary scoring early on, it's more likely bo goes down and Jensen or Shinkaruk come back up. Whatever happens will be about the team's needs, and rightly so.

At least we have options now if that happens.

Jensen, Shinkaruk, or Vey, will gladly fill his spot if he struggles.

...and Kassian.

A lot of this was Gillis' fault.

Gillis, Nonis and Burke. IMO, Nonis is actually mostly to blame there.

Guest Dasein

Whether or not Bo sticks beyond 9 games likely has to do with how the other centres perform in the dot. If Bonino, Vey and Matthais are at 50% or close on draws, that's probably good enough given the other things they contribute. If they are 45% or lower, that's a real concern, and makes Horvat look more necessary.

You're assuming Bo will perform well in the dot.

He's been good against Calgary and Edmonton who are awful on faceoffs. The one game against a decent faceoff team like Arizona had Bo at 40% (for comparison, Bonino was 59%, Vey 32% and Henrik had an off-night with 23%). If that's going to be the case, Bo has to do a lot more other things to convince he should be at center over Matthias or Vey.

Bo's strength at faceoffs is very much unproven at this level. He's shown he can win vs EDM's AHL centers and junior Draisaitl, and CGY's junior Bennett and sophomore Monahan (who is awful at faceoffs in the NHL).

The real test comes in regular season - not only for the other centers you mentioned, but for Bo as well. It's going to be interesting how he fares against STL, DAL, TBL, and WSH. It's too bad we don't face a Cali team until Nov 6th which is well after 9 games. Perhaps WD will sit Bo in the press box a few games to pick the 9 games he will audition in and get him a game in against SJS, ANA or LAK.