The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

I wanted to us to draft Nichuskin but wasn't mad we picked Horvat, I was more pissed that we only got 9th OA considering, as you said, Oilers offer was huge but on the other hand I get that we traded Schneids to NJ because EDM is a divisional rival. 

however if Schneider went to EDM, then maybe they don't get McDavid.... hindsight is yet again 20/20

On 17/01/2016 at 10:59 PM, Hutton Wink said:

I thought it was what Gillis was asking, and Edmonton balked then were surprised he went for only the single pick which was lower than theirs.

That might have been Gillis' ask, since what I heard Edmonton offered was the 7th overall and Paajarvi. Two extra spots wouldn't have changed our pick, and Paajarvi wasn't a significant add. We needed more because Schneider was an elite up and coming goalie and they're a division rival.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, elvis15 said:

That might have been Gillis' ask, since what I heard Edmonton offered was the 7th overall and Paajarvi. Two extra spots wouldn't have changed our pick, and Paajarvi wasn't a significant add. We needed more because Schneider was an elite up and coming goalie and they're a division rival.

Dreger reported on the draft floor that the Edmonton offer included a 1st, 2nd and a top prospect. I believe Edmonton had more than 1 first that year, so I don't imagine that was the 7th OA, but it would be interesting to know who the prospect was.

Dreger starts about the offer at 1:50

Regardless, Bo is a beauty and I'm very happy with how it worked out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bigturk8 said:

Dreger reported on the draft floor that the Edmonton offer included a 1st, 2nd and a top prospect. I believe Edmonton had more than 1 first that year, so I don't imagine that was the 7th OA, but it would be interesting to know who the prospect was.

That may have been another offer they made, and it being a lesser 1st makes sense as to why it'd also be turned down. I don't see a record of them having another 2013 1st rounder though, and if they were offering the 7th overall, their 2nd (vs the late 2nd rounder they got from Anaheim) and a top prospect, then it would have been more difficult for us to turn down. 

I only ever heard of the other rumour though (don't remember if it was Friedman or who that mentioned it).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...