The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Richardson has to be guarenteed that 4th line center spot. Perfect for that role

Matthias is guarenteed a spot as well

Dorset was aquired specifically for a 4th line role, he comes with a fairly steep cap hit so he's not up in the press box

Salary has little to no bearing on whether Dorsett plays or is in the press box. If Horvat or anyone else outplays him and the coaching staff deem his skill set less useful for a particular game Dorsett (and damn near anyone else for that matter) will be in the press box.

You know, Bo is still young and won't be 20 until next year. If he goes back to junior, he can still do the World Juniors. They could really use him. And also, if the Nucks go past the 9 games, he could still be part of that tourney. Either way, it's good. Considering how the team is shaping up, letting him get better in junior might be the way to go. I think the big selling point on him making the team will be his defensive prowess. If he dominates on the dot in camp, it's quite possible he's in.

Guest Dasein

Richardson has to be guarenteed that 4th line center spot. Perfect for that role

Dorset was aquired specifically for a 4th line role, he comes with a fairly steep cap hit so he's not up in the press box

Richardson is guaranteed AT LEAST the 4C spot. He is perfect for that role on a contender, but we are not one. As it stands, he is our 3C, and Bo has yet to prove he is better than Richardson. We'll have to see at camp if he can surprise.

I agree Matthias has a spot on the roster as well. I believe he'll be our 4C or the 4LW.

Dorsett was acquired for depth and competition. He can be in the press box. We are not up against the cap so it doesn't matter for us who is up in our press box. We can afford him there so he'll be there if he's not one of the best 12 forwards.

So realistically, we only have two roster spots on the 4th line available after that - 4RW and 4C/LW. The competition? Dorsett, Sestito, Vey, Zalewski, Lain, Archibald Gaunce, Jensen and Shinkaruk.

Of those, only Vey shoots right. He also has the best chance to make the roster. I think he takes the 4RW and will switch with Hansen on the 3rd line throughout the year depending on who is struggling.

That leaves one spot available and plenty of competition. Bo is going to have to impress to earn even a 4th line role.

Even though we are not contenders, we created a healthy competition so that our prospects really have to impress to earn a roster spot. I'm excited to see what Bo can do against these guys.

I would give him a 9 game tryout and then send him back down probably unless he does well.

The trick with that is it'd have to be really close to him actually making the team, since we already have a full roster and would likely be sending a player through waivers to allow him to play those 9 games. If we know we're keeping him short term there's no point risking losing a player for nothing on a waiver claim just to give him a taste of NHL ice time.

I'm not saying he'd have to go the AHL after his NHL season but sending him to junior then AHL next season is a safer approach rather than playing him in the NHL.

I think it's pretty clear that Horvat won't be forced into the NHL line-up. We have quite a bit of depth on our roster.

That's been clear from the start, but what also should be clear is if he plays well enough he can earn a spot in the roster this year, next year, etc. regardless of how safe it is. If he does so, and where in the line up that spot is remains to be seen.

You can't say we have to ice the best roster in one post then follow it up by saying a guy's cap hit will keep him n the line up. As J.R. says, if Bo (or any other prospect) plays well enough, they'll be in the line up and push someone out.

Edited by elvis15

Horvat made the ESPN's top 100 prospects list, coming in at #19 - our highest ranked prospect. From Canucks Army's recap (and for those of you without an ESPN insider account):

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/8/12/4-canucks-prospects-make-espn-s-top-100-list

After coming in at 28th in Pronman's rankings last summer, Horvat obviously moved up a few notches after his largely successful season in London. In his little blurb, Pronman notes that "he's not an overly flashy player, but Horvat has a lot of skill to go with a developed frame, advanced defensive play, and ace faceoff work. He'll push for NHL time this season."

I've heard a few insiders say that Horvat will make the canucks this year. They might assume that we are in the rebuilding phase. I think the team looks solid, with some skilled potential call ups in the AHL.

I think that this will be a very entertaining season and I wont be surprised at all when we make the playoffs

I've heard a few insiders say that Horvat will make the canucks this year. They might assume that we are in the rebuilding phase. I think the team looks solid, with some skilled potential call ups in the AHL.

I think that this will be a very entertaining season and I wont be surprised at all when we make the playoffs

Or, they might be assuming he's a good prospect. We'll see what he does at camp.

Do you mind posting the list if possible?

Don't have it as I don't have an ESPN insider account. When you go to the ESPN link it's shows that #1 is Drouin but nothing after. Otherwise the Canucks Army link only shows us the Canucks prospects. Corrado was an honourable mention falling just outside the top 100, and Horvat was 16, Virtanen was 26, Shinkaruk was 31 and McCann was 77. Again, that's all in the Canucks Army link though.

Edited by elvis15

Guest Dasein

From HF:

Top 10, Players
1 Jonathan Drouin LW Tampa Bay Lightning QMJHL 1
2 Aaron Ekblad D Florida Panthers OHL IN
3 Sam Bennett C Calgary Flames OHL IN
4 William Nylander RW Toronto Maple Leafs SHL IN
5 Sam Reinhart C Buffalo Sabres WHL IN
6 Nikolaj Ehlers LW Winnipeg Jets QMJHL IN
7 Kevin Fiala LW Nashville Predators SHL IN
8 Leon Draisaitl C Edmonton Oilers WHL IN
9 Michael Dal Colle LW New York Islanders OHL IN
10 Evgeny Kuznetsov C Washington Capitals NHL 4

Top 5, Goalies
1. Andrei Vasilevskiy, Tampa Bay Lightning
2. John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks
3. Juuse Saros, Nashville Predators
4. Petr Mrazek, Detroit Red Wings
5. Zach Fucale, Montreal Canadiens

From HF:

Top 10, Players

1 Jonathan Drouin LW Tampa Bay Lightning QMJHL 1

2 Aaron Ekblad D Florida Panthers OHL IN

3 Sam Bennett C Calgary Flames OHL IN

4 William Nylander RW Toronto Maple Leafs SHL IN

5 Sam Reinhart C Buffalo Sabres WHL IN

6 Nikolaj Ehlers LW Winnipeg Jets QMJHL IN

7 Kevin Fiala LW Nashville Predators SHL IN

8 Leon Draisaitl C Edmonton Oilers WHL IN

9 Michael Dal Colle LW New York Islanders OHL IN

10 Evgeny Kuznetsov C Washington Capitals NHL 4

Top 5, Goalies

1. Andrei Vasilevskiy, Tampa Bay Lightning

2. John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks

3. Juuse Saros, Nashville Predators

4. Petr Mrazek, Detroit Red Wings

5. Zach Fucale, Montreal Canadiens

Nylander ahead of Reinhart?

Ehlers and Fiala ahead of Kuznetsov and Draisaitl?

:picard:

Horrible list.

• Upvote 4