The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

@News1130Sports: Talked to Utica gm Pat Conacher about Bo Horvat's 1st game last night : "He was watching a little to much instead of moving".

Thought he was good last night.. Lol

Conacher also said he struggled in the dot. Hope it's just the rust and he's better next game.

I saw Green yank him out of the circle more than once after losing a few early.

I've noticed Bo has a bit of a tendency to stay really high in the offensive zone and also cheat (early) toward his own net if he sees a potential possession change coming. Both are useful instincts but they also take him out of the play and cut down on the offensive activity.

He played a decent first pro game but Conacher's rightfully got high expectations for him.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter

12 games 4 goals 18 assists 22 points. 1.83 ppg.

Even though he is unlikely to keep his production level this high, he is on pace for 110 points in a 60 game season.

Take notice Team USA.

^ taken from the Cole Cassels Talk because I think it's relevant to Bo.

Cole's gone back and started tearing it up in the OHL - as some have pointed out.

It really makes me wonder if Bo's done growing offensively in the OHL - I think it's easily perceivable that Bo puts up similar numbers as Cassels if he is returned to London. FYI Cassels is not playing with MDC except on the PP and that Laughton has left, so it's even more impressive that it's now showing that he is carrying his line's offense, whereas last year it was unsure if Cassels' point production was due to playing with some great players.

We'll have to see once he gets back to playing speed and back with Vancouver what we should do with Bo.

• Upvote 1

Broken record time

I wouldn't have a problem with Horvat going back to Junior, I think every single prospect should play out their full junior career and a couple years in the minors before making the jump to the NHL with very few exceptions.

this is my scenario i have played out in my head.

Finish his 2 week Utica stint. Come up for 9 games with the big club. Send him to world jrs. Send him back to london.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

whether or not he goes back to the OHL after the world Jrs would depend on how he performs in those 9 games in the NHL. you can't just throw him back to the OHL if he makes your team better with him on it. you can't have hard and fast rules preventing all prospects from playing in the NHL until they play out their entire junior career and a couple years in the AHL. life isn't black and white like that. everyone says "that's how the red wings do it" but that's because they had the NHL team that allowed them to do that, and they had late draft picks that needed that development, and they are going to have to change that eventually, as their NHL team isn't as strong as it used to be.

whether or not he goes back to the OHL after the world Jrs would depend on how he performs in those 9 games in the NHL. you can't just throw him back to the OHL if he makes your team better with him on it. you can't have hard and fast rules preventing all prospects from playing in the NHL until they play out their entire junior career and a couple years in the AHL. life isn't black and white like that. everyone says "that's how the red wings do it" but that's because they had the NHL team that allowed them to do that, and they had late draft picks that needed that development, and they are going to have to change that eventually, as their NHL team isn't as strong as it used to be.

sorry i guess i implying that he doesn't raise any eyebrows in his 9 games. By all means if he plays well keep him up. I'd also say if he plays well I'd think about not sending him to the WJC at all.

Thats probably an unpopular opinion though.

I think every single prospect should play out their full junior career and a couple years in the minors before making the jump to the NHL with very few exceptions.

^This statement is almost a word for word quote from Jim Benning, when I heard him say it during one of his early interviews on 1040, my first reaction was "It's about freakin' time!"

Orson Welles said it best

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter
  • Upvote 2

He had a solid game just nothing outstanding. Should of had a goal in the second period. Loose puck in the crease with a wide open net and somehow he missed it. A blind guy could have scored on that one using his cane....

Well at least we know he's not a blind guy with a cane out there...

• Upvote 4

Our bottom 6 at the center position is Richardson, Vey and Matthias. There is no dropoff if Horvat takes one one of those spots. Richardson is the most steady of those 3 and is good on faceoffs. Vey and Matthias are below average in the faceoff circle and both can play wing. I really don't see the drawback of playing Horvat, other than the reasoning that he's 19 years old and his confidence may be hurt by making mistakes in the NHL. He doesn't strike me as that sort of player or person. He's been a leader his entire career and plays a 200 foot game. We're a fringe playoff team as it is and the time has come to put a pure rookie into the lineup. Our last 19 year old rookie was Trevor Linden and we all know how that decision paid off.

My thoughts exactly - ditch Matthias already, for God's sake, and get Horvat in there!!! It's about time. Why play a lumbering never-will-be when we have an up-an-comer like Horvat who is known for his responsible 200-foot game? That's the safest sort of rookie to play. Sure, he won't be playing the minutes he would in Junior, but isn't NHL ice time twice as valuable as Junior? Clearly we have a gaping vacancy on our fourth line. Matthias is a liability. He doesn't make use of his size, so size is no justification for keeping him in there. I think Horvat at age 19 could be more intimidating than Matthias.

I like the Canucks strategy of having him conditioned with the maximum of allowable games in the AHL before calling him up for his real pro tryout. My guess is he sticks.

Our bottom 6 at the center position is Richardson, Vey and Matthias. There is no dropoff if Horvat takes one one of those spots. Richardson is the most steady of those 3 and is good on faceoffs. Vey and Matthias are below average in the faceoff circle and both can play wing. I really don't see the drawback of playing Horvat, other than the reasoning that he's 19 years old and his confidence may be hurt by making mistakes in the NHL. He doesn't strike me as that sort of player or person. He's been a leader his entire career and plays a 200 foot game. We're a fringe playoff team as it is and the time has come to put a pure rookie into the lineup. Our last 19 year old rookie was Trevor Linden and we all know how that decision paid off.