The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Never rush prospects. I think the 9 games with the Nucks and then the world juniors would be good for him, but sending him back to junior for half a season wont hurt him.

Agree completely! No reason whatsoever to rush this kid!

9 Games with Vancouver, plus the time in Utica, will give him a really good taste of what to expect at the next level.

That said, if he can consistently win draws in the bottom 6, I think the Canucks will do everything they can to make room for him and keep him up here.

I get the feeling though, that the ability to send him to Utica for a couple of weeks, thus postponing his 9 games here, has worked out well for Vancouver. They may very well be able to stretch this out to where they could just loan him to the National team and then make a decision in January on keeping him in Vancouver vs sending him back to the OHL. January is usually when we get hammered with injuries, so that might really work out!

In the end, the best thing for him might be to spend the season with the Canucks, and then start next season in Utica. Time will tell.

The number one thing for him is to continue to play well on the defensive side and to win draws. If he can show that, then he's got a chance.

Definitely. I had quite a few back and forths over the summer with Gooseberries about where Bo should play. The more I think about it, the more I think he may be right. I don't remember the last time I heard someone say that keeping a guy back in junior one more year really hurt his development. Moving a guy into the lineup early, that's been used many times as a reason why a guy didn't develop as expected.

Would it hurt his development to send him back to junior? No it wouldn't. But is he going to be put in a position with London to put up the kind of point totals that people here seem to be concerned with seeing? I don't think so. Hunter is going to make him the 2nd line shutdown center, because he knows that Bo is a stud defensively, will take defensive zone draws and his time spent on the penalty kill is going to negate time spent on the powerplay. I base this on nothing of course because I don't have any insight into Hunter's coaching, but that's what I would do.

Of course all the speculation surrounding Bo is just that. He was the last cut as an 18 year old. He has yet to be cut from the team as a 19 year old and the only way to know for sure if he can play in the NHL this season is to give him the games and see the results of the team when he is in the lineup. He doesn't have to put up points at all as long as the team is better in the faceoff circle and he doesn't have a huge minus stat beside his name.

wuut?

that bonino goal last night doesn't happen without Higgins. Instead of a 3-1 game in the second it wluld have been 2-1. Much different game. Ill say it again. Higgins doesn't have any tools that set him apart from the rest. Yet he is consistently one of our best forwards. He makes simple smart plays that lead to offensive chances. Those chances lead to goals.

If Horvat can turn into a center higgins with slightly better offensive numbers and dominates his end of the ice. Then im pretty thrilled.

Bo has skills; the question is, do we want to fast track him? The obvious drawback is that we burn a year off his contract; meaning he will be a UFA that much sooner and his salary may escalate unnecessarily. Because of those variables, I see him being sent down before the 9 game limit.

There is more benefit in burning a year intentionally by playing him for 10 games and then sending him back to junior.

Bo has a good very heavy shot, he just needs to use it more and that will come with more confidence. I would like to see him go back to junior after his 9 games unless he really impresses, it would be cool to see him go head to head with mcdavid in an ohl playoff series!!!

• Upvote 1

Horvat doesn't really have any offensive tools that set him apart from the rest.

First of all, Matthias hasn't exactly been stiff competition in that regard as yet either. If Horvat can better his and/or Vey's 40% FO percentage and play a responsible d-game, he's already an improvement over either in the 4th C spot.

And while it may take some time (while he adjusts to NHL level), he's shown to be exceedingly good at breaking up plays and getting the puck in to the O zone and to his wingers, has a solid, heavy shot and a nose for the net. That won't win likely him many scoring titles or highlight reel/dangle recognition but it will eventually lead to offensive production.

there's a snake in my boot!

Somebody poisoned the water hole?

Edited by J.R.

Hank and Bones will help reel in the goals on their lines. They will supply most of the offense.

We need more of a defensive presence down the middle to help out our D out in their own zone. Horvat can supply that and win draws.

Seems like the glove fits Bo in this case. Matthias hasn't really impressed me at C or wing. Hopefully Bo will get his shot.

You guys should temper expectations when it comes to his face offs this season. There's. A big jump from juniors to rhe NHL, that being said, Id expect him to be our best face off man in 3 seasons.

I'd probably guess he goes about 45% this year, for the 9'games at least

Which again, is still an improvement over Vey's/Mathias's 40%. I don't need to temper anything :lol:

You guys should temper expectations when it comes to his face offs this season. There's. A big jump from juniors to rhe NHL, that being said, Id expect him to be our best face off man in 3 seasons.

I'd probably guess he goes about 45% this year, for the 9'games at least

Some of his biggest strengths are his defensive play and ability on the faceoff dot.

He was winning draws against NHLers during the preseason so I don't think it will be much of a problem for him.

He is still better than Vey and Matthias on faceoffs in my mind.