The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Not sure if anyone saw this one defensive play he made in the 3rd I believe. Our LD stepped up outside our blue line on the wall and the puck and a sharks player got past him....As he entered our zone, and there was potential for a 2 on one....Bo came out of nowhere rubbed out the sharks player along the wall...took the puck away did a quick stick handle to avoid another sharks player pressuring him and smoothly chipped the put to Dorseet at the Left wall to start the break out.

It was a beauty of a defensive play. I don't understand people saying he is not ready. To me he is a stud on defensive, as long as his face-off percentage continue. People are concerned about his offensive play but I am not sure what you want from me except create chances, and by my calculations he has had atlas 2/3 per game.

I would be more concerned if he wasn't creating chances and was unable to even handle the puck in the offensive zone, which is not the case. He is playing limited 4th line minutes with Hansen and Dorsett and his line is creating chances regularly while being a less of a defensive liability.

He has been sheltered but I don't think he needs to be.

I was just going to mention this. He took what could have been a tying goal away and I thought it was one of the best defensive plays of the third... SO calm and composed when under pressure like that.

We are lucky to have a prospect with that kind of defensive poise at such a young age.

Not sure if anyone saw this one defensive play he made in the 3rd I believe. Our LD stepped up outside our blue line on the wall and the puck and a sharks player got past him....As he entered our zone, and there was potential for a 2 on one....Bo came out of nowhere rubbed out the sharks player along the wall...took the puck away did a quick stick handle to avoid another sharks player pressuring him and smoothly chipped the put to Dorseet at the Left wall to start the break out.

It was a beauty of a defensive play. I don't understand people saying he is not ready. To me he is a stud on defensive, as long as his face-off percentage continue. People are concerned about his offensive play but I am not sure what you want from me except create chances, and by my calculations he has had atlas 2/3 per game.

I would be more concerned if he wasn't creating chances and was unable to even handle the puck in the offensive zone, which is not the case. He is playing limited 4th line minutes with Hansen and Dorsett and his line is creating chances regularly while being a less of a defensive liability.

Yes it was a hell of a play by a player who is fast enough to execute it.

Please open your eyes if you still think Bo is a slow skater ( not you poster, but many on here think that).

Bo will make the team if they let him.

Bo had 2 take aways and did better in FO circle then he was credited for. I really don't know why his ice time was so low.

Some sort of strategy I guess but he played well, won puck battles and almost broke in on goal around a defenseman who poke checked the puck at the last second before Bo was around him.

Apparently he was bag skated in the morning skate, Kassian's injury didn't seem as serious in the morning skate.

This, I think he's definitely ready for the NHL. I don't get why people keep saying he was invisible, no duh, he barely got any ice time and when he did he always made the right play and looked like a vet out there.

This, I think he's definitely ready for the NHL. I don't get why people keep saying he was invisible, no duh, he barely got any ice time and when he did he always made the right play and looked like a vet out there.

It's crazy that he's only 19 and looks quite poised already. I'm excited to see his progression throughout the year and hopefully he can work his way up to 10-12 mins a game.

YES!!! .. I wondered why they did not show a replay of that take away by Bo .. it was a very good sign .. he dominated physically and took away a potential scoring chance .. it happened so fast, and as soon as Dorsett took the puck down to get a face off in SJS's end, they went to an Ad .. too bad .. I thought everyone had missed that .. key defensive play.

Edited by Tearloch7

My guess is Bo will play 4th line minute to finish this trip (maybe being an healthy scratch in ANA or LA), and then when we get back home, might get a few games at around 12 minutes and more significant shift.

But in the end, IMO I think Bo is OHL bound. I can't see the Canucks keeping Bo around to play 4th line minutes and maybe being an healthy scratch once in a while this season. Willie D. as been reluctant to give Vey a bigger role despite a good start to the season, I can't see how he would give Horvat a top 9 role, unless a major injury happens in the next 7 games.

My guess is Bo will play 4th line minute to finish this trip (maybe being an healthy scratch in ANA or LA), and then when we get back home, might get a few games at around 12 minutes and more significant shift.

But in the end, IMO I think Bo is OHL bound. I can't see the Canucks keeping Bo around to play 4th line minutes and maybe being an healthy scratch once in a while this season. Willie D. as been reluctant to give Vey a bigger role despite a good start to the season, I can't see how he would give Horvat a top 9 role, unless a major injury happens in the next 7 games.

I don't think Willies has been "reluctant" in not giving Vey a bigger role.. It just makes more sense for him to be on the 4th line. We don't need him in our top 6. Our 2nd line is solidified with Higgins/Burrows on the wing, why would you want to change this?

4th line was also pretty much getting the same ice-time as the "3rd" line when everyone was healthy too, so there's not much of a discrepancy there.

Also, you can't just put player with players and hopefully it'll work out. IE: Ovie with the Sedins would be pretty awful.

I personally think that was veys worst game of the season last night and I'm a fan. Didn't do anything offensively and turned the puck over way too much. He was the main reason San Jose scored there first goal, had a couple opportunities to get the puck out and failed

If kassian comes back I think vey should sit for Horvat to play 4th line center

Jensen being recalled is most likely for vrbata

real nice defensive play (i think thats the one you guys are talking about)

Yes, that was the play (was surprised they never replayed it). Comes back to bail out the D who gave the puck away, rubbed out his man and took the puck back, and got it out while in the midst of three Sharks like it was just another day at the office. Impressive for a veteran let along a rookie. Totally SOLID, as he was any time he was on the ice. If that's the way he can play consistently, young jedi has nothing left to learn -- he'll stay.

I don't think Willies has been "reluctant" in not giving Vey a bigger role.. It just makes more sense for him to be on the 4th line. We don't need him in our top 6. Our 2nd line is solidified with Higgins/Burrows on the wing, why would you want to change this?

4th line was also pretty much getting the same ice-time as the "3rd" line when everyone was healthy too, so there's not much of a discrepancy there.

Also, you can't just put player with players and hopefully it'll work out. IE: Ovie with the Sedins would be pretty awful.

When Burrows got suspended, Hansen got the first turn with Bonino and Higgins even though Vey is a much better offensive player. When he finally played with them he played well.

So i'm not forcing Vey to play with Bonino and Higgins, he played well when paired together.

Drouin's playing on the 4th line in Tampa Bay. Horvats more fitted to the role than Drouin is.

We can send Horvat to the WJC and then keep him in the NHL for the rest of the season. Rather have him get comfortable with the league this year instead of waiting another 10-11 Months.

Drouin's playing on the 4th line in Tampa Bay. Horvats more fitted to the role than Drouin is.

We can send Horvat to the WJC and then keep him in the NHL for the rest of the season. Rather have him get comfortable with the league this year instead of waiting another 10-11 Months.

You say that as if Drouin is going to be riding the pine on the 4th line all year.

Drouin's average TOI is 14:40 with an average of 1:27 on the PP. Bo's average TOI through two games is 7:37 with 0:26 on the PK. That's almost double, and Drouin has only one game where he played under 10 minutes by 2 seconds.

Drouin's played the last few games on the 4th line, but that doesn't mean he's a 4th liner. This is rather normal for any young NHLer - there are growing pains and they have to earn their ice time. For example, there are 10 games in Steven Stamkos's rookie season where his TOI was in single digits (1/8 of the season), 23 games where he played below 12 minutes (1/4 of the season), and 39 games where he played under 14 minutes - that's almost half his rookie season.

The point is, Drouin is a top 9 rookie foward who is learning to earn his ice time in the NHL. He'll will be back up in a top 9 role in no time, but that's not the case for Bo.

The difference is, Bo is starting on the 4th line, and he'll remain on the 4th line. His offense is limited and could improve by playing in junior. I think it's far more beneficial for Bo and the Canucks in the long run if Bo returns to junior, play at the WJC and works on his offensive game rather than stay here and stunt his offensive potential playing 10 minutes per game or sitting in the press box.

Edited by Dasein

Yes, that was the play (was surprised they never replayed it). Comes back to bail out the D who gave the puck away, rubbed out his man and took the puck back, and got it out while in the midst of three Sharks like it was just another day at the office. Impressive for a veteran let along a rookie. Totally SOLID, as he was any time he was on the ice. If that's the way he can play consistently, young jedi has nothing left to learn -- he'll stay.

That is his trademark in my opinion, Takeaways, which is also Bergeron's calling card by the way.

Bo will force his way on to the team once he gets some games in, he is just to valuable a player.

Hansen and Dorsett take dumb penalties, Matthias has a good 2 game stretch but how long will that last and he is a give away machine at times.

Horvat provides mistake free defence, clever offence, take aways no give aways, Faceoffs (he will be fine by mid year), puck possesion, penalty killing and by mid season power play ability.

All the players below provide half or less of the above. Fighting is the only skill Bo doesn't have.

Hansen is a penalty killer and good on defence. Bad turnovers, bad penalties

Matthias can skate. iffy hands, hard inaccurate shot. No hockey sense and bad turnovers

Dorsett can check and hit and has more hockey sense then the above 2. Fights, bad penalties

Vey is a power play guy and very good at it, what else does he bring? ave. D at best.

Point being that none of the 4 above can do enough to warrant being in the lineup ahead of Bo.

Hansen could have feed Bo the puck for his first ever goal on that breakaway last game but used his hands of stone to keep Bo from scoring and flub his own attempt. Not nice if on purpose and dumb if not on purpose, Bo was right beside him with an open net and instead Hansen cuts in front of Bo and loses the puck...Bo almost made contact anyway as the puck bounced on off into the corner.

It was a bone head move by Hansen either way.

When Bo makes the team we will start to do as Willie wanted and really roll 4 lines.

Like I said months ago we will see the first line get 17-20 minutes a game and all the other lines get between 12 and 15.

We will have a balanced attack and defence up and down the lineup.

• Upvote 1

You say that as if Drouin is going to be riding the pine on the 4th line all year.

Drouin's average TOI is 14:40 with an average of 1:27 on the PP. Bo's average TOI through two games is 7:37 with 0:26 on the PK. That's almost double, and Drouin has only one game where he played under 10 minutes by 2 seconds.

Drouin's played the last few games on the 4th line, but that doesn't mean he's a 4th liner. This is rather normal for any young NHLer - there are growing pains and they have to earn their ice time. For example, there are 10 games in Steven Stamkos's rookie season where his TOI was in single digits (1/8 of the season), 23 games where he played below 12 minutes (1/4 of the season), and 39 games where he played under 14 minutes - that's almost half his rookie season.

The point is, Drouin is a top 9 rookie foward who is learning to earn his ice time in the NHL. He'll will be back up in a top 9 role in no time, but that's not the case for Bo.

The difference is, Bo is starting on the 4th line, and he'll remain on the 4th line. His offense is limited and could improve by playing in junior. I think it's far more beneficial for Bo and the Canucks in the long run if Bo returns to junior, play at the WJC and works on his offensive game rather than stay here and stunt his offensive potential playing 10 minutes per game or sitting in the press box.

Willie: "no line numbers" ...there is no fourth line.

There is a top line and 3 other lines... there is no 4th line or 3rd or 2nd even.

I noticed the London Knights won a game 11-1 last night...Proving more that Bo just doesn't really need to be there for that. But at the same time we have a very deep bottom 6 this year. I'm glad im not the one making these decisions :P

They've scored 52 goals in their last like.. 8 games haha. Slow start, then BOOM. I think Bo is staying, but if he comes back, London will beat out Erie.

send Horvat to the WJC and then keep him in the NHL for the rest of the season

We can son. Rather have him get comfortable with the league this year instead of waiting another 10-11 Months.

Id be good with that. He might still be sent down for the season. He has more to learn from the pros like the Sedins and Bieksa, then he does in London playing with Domi.