The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

When Burrows comes back that's when things will become even more interesting, my guess is:

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian

Dorsett - Horvat - Vey

Hansen

I still hope to see:

Burrows, Bonino, Vey

Higgins, Richardson, Kassian

And two of Matthias, Hansen or Dorsett with Horvat. A good player is going to have to sit.

But yeah the depth is a lovely problem to have.

Literally everyone is playing amazing lol. But it'll be tough to sit Horvat after he had a pretty much perfect debut. My guess is Hansen.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian

Dorsett-Horvat-Burrows

I expect Burrows to win his spot back from Vey though. Either way, that's a deep, deep roster

True, but it's also not that good on a top team like Anaheim. I loved Kesler in Vancouver, he's an elite-player on a level above Bonino, especially come playoff time. But tbh i'm kinda glad that he's gone. I think our 2nd line got better when we got Bonino, cuz a lot of nights, Kesler tried to do everything on his own. Bonino can at least pass the puck.
I wasn't totally sold on the trade at the point it accured. People thought we would get 2 out of Shea Theodore/Etem/their top10 pick + more good assets. Bonino had his first good season last year, at the age of 25 on a good team, so i was skeptical. Sbisa was Anaheim's scapegoat, even though he had some potential. And we also got that 1st round pick from Anaheim - though a 25th pick, which is nice, but you're not getting a spectacular prospect at that spot. But now when the season has started, i can definitely live with the trade. I like it. Bonino has been great so far. Sbisa hasn't been amazing exactly, but i think he's getting better, and i like his toolset. I wasn't stoked about the McCann pick: "Ahh well, another 2-way 2nd line center.." But it didn't take me that long to like the pick. Doesn't seem to have any major weakness.
Season is young, but i like it so far.

I am in total agreement with you.

Literally everyone is playing amazing lol. But it'll be tough to sit Horvat after he had a pretty much perfect debut. My guess is Hansen.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian

Dorsett-Horvat-Burrows

I expect Burrows to win his spot back from Vey though. Either way, that's a deep, deep roster

I was thinking a roster like this too, only thing is I feel bad for the rookie playing between agitators Dorsett and Burrows. There will be lots of stuff happening after the whistle.

Vey looked really good on the second last night, him and Bonino seem to compliment each other.

Vey has looked good everywhere he has played even when not at his natural centre position.

The old rule was, "you don't lose your spot to injury"; but that seems to have gone out of fashion.

So, do you give Burr his spot on the 2nd back? That Higgy-Bonino-Vey line produced!

Bump Matthias or Kassian off the 3rd? That line is finally shaping up.

Sit Horvat after a fine initial showing?

Dress and sit a 13th forward?

Well, even though Hansen is playing (his style) very well, he is still not lighting the lamp.

Edit: had Vey on 2 lines.

Edited by Goal:thecup

Vey has looked good everywhere he has played even when not at his natural centre position.

The old rule was, "you don't lose your spot to injury"; but that seems to have gone out of fashion.

So, do you give Burr his spot on the 2nd back? That Higgy-Bonino-Vey line produced!

Bump Matthias or Kassian off the 3rd? That line is finally shaping up.

Sit Horvat after a fine initial showing?

Dress and sit a 13th forward?

Well, even though Hansen is playing (his style) very well, he is still not lighting the lamp.

Edit: had Vey on 2 lines.

Huh? Hansen has 3 goals..

Yikes. Our regular 4th line has a combined 6 goals (excluding Vey's 3 power play tallies) in 13 games - what more do you want out of a 4th line?! Our 4th line already had a lot of skill to score goals. Sure, adding Burrows brings more skill than Hansen, but adding Bo subtracts some skill (offense) from Vey. Our 4th line has been good all year and the pressure is on Bo to keep that up when he's in the lineup. Last night - he did great on both ends of the ice and needs to keep this up.

It was in the recap of the game on SN as well, and Cheech, even the biggest homer of them all, saw and commented that the pass was not intended for the recipient on that play - but good on Bo for having the presence of mind to throw the puck to the front of the net where good things happen.

Are you kidding? The adrenaline of playing his 1st NHL game would cancel out whatever nerves or lack of sleep he had the night before due to excitement. I do think he'll be more composed and improved, but these next three games are on the road against some very tough teams, so it may not show as such.

Ryan Kesler has 3G5A8P -2 in 13 games while going 53.9% on faceoffs.

Nick Bonino has 6G5A11P +6 in 13 games while going 44.6% on faceoffs.

I'd rather have Bones like I'd rather have Vey's offense over Bo's faceoff prowess.

Faceoffs are great, but once you win possession, you have to be able to do something with it. Even though Vey loses more than he wins them, he can do a lot more with the puck once he has it than Bo offensively.

Obviously, Bo isn't going up against Vey alone in trying to make this team (we can move others - Matthias, Hansen, Dorsett), but if Bo is just good at faceoffs, we don't need him. He has to bring other things, which like he did last night.

The 4th line has been good. But I thought Horvat made Hansen look better on that line which is why I think Burrows should replace him on the 4th line and Vey can bring his skill to the 2nd line with Bonino.

The problem I have with Vey at center is his inability to win faceoffs. With Bo on that line if he keeps winning draws and use his vision like he was last game that line should continue to score while giving a boost to the second line with the injection of Vey.

Edited by Chip Kelly

People thought we would get 2 out of Shea Theodore/Etem/their top10 pick + more good assets.

Those people were delusional. Of course everybody would want those things, but I don't think anybody not wearing rose coloured glasses actually believed we'd get it.

All those things people say to justify why we didn't need Kesler (injury prone, old, doesn't use his line mates well, etc.) are all reasons why Anaheim wouldn't give us all those assets.

Plus, Anaheim was the only team Kesler would waive his NTC to go to (Chicago didn't have enough cap) so Anaheim didn't have to out bid anyone.

Benning did well to get what he got and it's worked out for both teams.

The 4th line has been good. But I thought Horvat made Hansen look better on that line which is why I think Burrows should replace him on the 4th line and Vey can bring his skill to the 2nd line with Bonino.

The problem I have with Vey at center is his inability to win faceoffs. With Bo on that line if he keeps winning draws and use his vision like he was last game that line should continue to score while giving a boost to the second line with the injection of Vey.

I have little to no problem with Vey at center because faceoffs are only a small part of the game and he's our best option there right now.

For example, Bonino is in the 40% zone with his faceoffs while Kesler is above 50% - but that and a slightly better defensive game is just about the only thing Kesler is better than Bonino at. Everything else - it's Bonino right now. So I'm okay with losing a few possessions due to faceoffs because when Bonino has the puck, he can do a lot more than Kesler does with it.

It's the same with Vey and Horvat IMO - although Vey will lose a few possessions, he can do a lot more with the puck than Horvat can. So even if Bo does win a few more draws, he's less effective since he can't create as much even if he does have the puck.

And honestly, the only time I would be concerned is if Vey gets caught out on an icing. 4th lines don't take that many draws so it's hardly a concern to have Vey out there as the 4C.

you didn't know? i thought it was common knowledge, i'd be surprised if the rookies don't know it's going to happen.

Gotta think they know its gunna happen, then the adrenaline kicks in and you forget everything. Probably why he kinda smiled when he caught on. Always entertaining to see, and giving him the opening faceoff was just the icing on the cake of class that is WD.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

Gotta think they know its gunna happen, then the adrenaline kicks in and you forget everything. Probably why he kinda smiled when he caught on. Always entertaining to see, and giving him the opening faceoff was just the icing on the cake of class that is WD.

i know people forget, but Lain was also supposed to take the opening faceoff in that torts debacle, until bieksa stepped up and stepped in, knowing full well what was going to happen.

I have little to no problem with Vey at center because faceoffs are only a small part of the game and he's our best option there right now.

For example, Bonino is in the 40% zone with his faceoffs while Kesler is above 50% - but that and a slightly better defensive game is just about the only thing Kesler is better than Bonino at. Everything else - it's Bonino right now. So I'm okay with losing a few possessions due to faceoffs because when Bonino has the puck, he can do a lot more than Kesler does with it.

It's the same with Vey and Horvat IMO - although Vey will lose a few possessions, he can do a lot more with the puck than Horvat can. So even if Bo does win a few more draws, he's less effective since he can't create as much even if he does have the puck.

And honestly, the only time I would be concerned is if Vey gets caught out on an icing. 4th lines don't take that many draws so it's hardly a concern to have Vey out there as the 4C.

funny, looks like bonino is out for burr's return:

No Bonino on the ice for the #Canucks. Lines in skate: 22-33-17/20-53-14/27-15-9/51-7-36. All D on the ice.