The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

When Kesler game into the game, he was originally thought of as a 3rd line center.  He worked his way up to be an elite 2nd line center, and in some cases even a 1st line center.

When Horvat came into the league, hopes were high but he was considered a 3rd liner by many.  I believe it was even mentioned by WD that he was a 4th line center although I cannot recall the context of that statement.  Now he is a solid 2nd liner and I expect he will end up an elite 2nd liner.  However, maybe a complete game as he is striving for will allow him to thrive in the 1st line center role.  Even as an elite 2nd liner he has lived up to expectations but I hope I'm wrong and he is able to make that extra step.  If he has Pettersson (eventually) and Boeser on the wings, maybe he will end up in the same situation as Morrison back in the day whereby he was clearly the less effective his linemates, but good enough to to maintain the role.  (Difference being, of course, that their playing style is completely different.)  

I think he's right in focusing on his skating. While not slow, he has the ability to drive to the net so if he could just get that extra step on the defender he should increase his effectiveness dramatically.

Edited by kloubek

43 minutes ago, kloubek said:

When Horvat came into the league, hopes were high but he was considered a 3rd liner by many.  I believe it was even mentioned by WD that he was a 4th line center although I cannot recall the context of that statement. 

Bruh :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Those comments from Bo remind me of Marcus, right after Messier left.  Marcus said that it was time for himself to take on a bigger leadership role.  Bo, like Marcus, will be an excellent Captain and leader.  

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

When Kesler game into the game, he was originally thought of as a 3rd line center.  He worked his way up to be an elite 2nd line center, and in some cases even a 1st line center.

When Horvat came into the league, hopes were high but he was considered a 3rd liner by many.  I believe it was even mentioned by WD that he was a 4th line center although I cannot recall the context of that statement.  Now he is a solid 2nd liner and I expect he will end up an elite 2nd liner.  However, maybe a complete game as he is striving for will allow him to thrive in the 1st line center role.  Even as an elite 2nd liner he has lived up to expectations but I hope I'm wrong and he is able to make that extra step.  If he has Pettersson (eventually) and Boeser on the wings, maybe he will end up in the same situation as Morrison back in the day whereby he was clearly the less effective his linemates, but good enough to to maintain the role.  (Difference being, of course, that their playing style is completely different.)  

I think he's right in focusing on his skating. While not slow, he has the ability to drive to the net so if he could just get that extra step on the defender he should increase his effectiveness dramatically.

I do think Horvat will be our Jonathan Toews.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I do think Horvat will be our Jonathan Toews.

And 30 pounds heavier. :towel:

God!  Bo is so good already!!  He's going to be unbelievably fabulous, when he's fully matured.  

#Go Bo Go!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I'd give Bo the captaincy for next year. Gudbranson and Edler would wear the A for me. I don't like the rotating A, it just feels like teams do it just so that they don't hurt someone's feelings.

Edler and Sutter for me.

Elder, Sutter, Guddy, Tanev if we are rotating.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Solid first WC for Bo.  He seemed to be getting a lot of ice time in the few games I watched

I heard our coach say that McDavid was getting Ozone starts, while Bo was taking care of the heavy lifting in the Dzone and tougher match-ups.  

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I'd give Bo the captaincy for next year. Gudbranson and Edler would wear the A for me. I don't like the rotating A, it just feels like teams do it just so that they don't hurt someone's feelings.

I'm not a fan of rotating roles either, but I could see the team doing so, or instead just having alternates. 

I'd prefer the C for Bo next year as well. He seems very ready in my estimation. I'd too would also prefer two alternates, but I'd give them to Edler and Sutter.

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Edler and Sutter for me.

Elder, Sutter, Guddy, Tanev if we are rotating.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not a fan of rotating roles either, but I could see the team doing so, or instead just having alternates. 

I'd prefer the C for Bo next year as well. He seems very ready in my estimation. I'd too would also prefer two alternates, but I'd give them to Edler and Sutter.

Yeah that's fair. I was torn between Sutter and Gudbranson but I like Guddy as a leader on the backend a little more than Sutter. Either way, they would both look good wearing the A.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I agree. I hope they don't the whole post-captain "it's too soon" thing. Stick a C on someone and make the rebuild official! Get the fans excited about a new future. If they don't, it'll feel like another throw away season right from the start. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Agree.  Sutter not Edler though.  But that's quibbling.

It seems like Horvat grew up a bit at the Worlds.  He's ready imo

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Agree.  Sutter not Edler though.  But that's quibbling.

It seems like Horvat grew up a bit at the Worlds.  He's ready imo

Agreed. Giving him the C this year shows that we are fully committed to the youth movement, and the young guys coming in have someone to lead the way for them. It's an acknowledgement from the club that we are moving on from the Sedin's era. It's not too soon.

The leadership group is Sutter, Edler, Gudbranson and Tanev imo, so really any of these 2 would work but I would not want to give it to Edler and Tanev because they're both quiet in the locker room based on reports. It's fine to have them leading by example, but you also need leaders to hold the team and themselves accountable behind closed doors. Although Edler answering media questions after every game could go wrong...

On 5/24/2018 at 1:24 PM, -AJ- said:

For me, it's been clear since the 2015 playoffs that Bo Horvat is the player who drives this team.  It will be very interesting to watch the start of the year without the Sedins, as I think it will be quite visible who the leaders are.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Horvat is one of those players who seems like he won't peak in his development until his mid-20's.   I see a player who keeps pushing up the ceiling for himself.   If he keeps doing that, the WC he just played in may be his last as he will be leading teams on playoff runs when the tournament is on.   I think the more people keep saying he "can't" do things, the more it seems to fuel him.

On the other topic underway, making him the captain is a bit risky given his age (I know younger players get it given to them) but I believe he is more than ready and has respect in that room.   I would consider an A for LE (no one mentioned him yet) as I believe he also has a lot of respect on the team and he has the reputation for being a very strong and positive presence in the room.  Sutter, Guddy, Edler are all worthy too - in addition to LE I would throw in another name that will surprise people as they keep trying to trade him but that is Tanev.   I think he plays the game in a "lead by example" way and when you go undrafted and become a top 4 (arguably top pairing) Dman in the NHL, you didn't get there easily....that gains massive respect and younger players who may have a lick of entitlement could get a reminder everyday when they look across the room to a guy like Tanev with a letter on his chest.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I think Bo Horvat's offensive game can develop now that he doesn't have to carry so much of the defensive burden. I'd like him to develop his IQ game. Seems he's always rushing the puck alone and trying to force his will. I think he has the smarts and the talent to study opponents defensive schemes now, how to break down the coverage, by using the whole zone with his wingers or trailing Dmen. This is going to be fun for Bo especially off someone like EP now too. The PP1 and PP2 are going to be full of young talent.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

NHL hockey top 200 fantasy players for 2018 season have Horvat # 108..

The Canucks are 'his" team now Sedins have retired. Horvat has elevated his point per game total every season and should do this one more time..He's a two-way guy then a power house scoring threat.

• Like 1