The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Would be really sad to lose Garland if it happens. Has some of the best metrics on the team at only 4.95 mill.

Him and Petey had good chemistry together, would be smart to keep him as our 1RW moving forward.

Might be a nice idea, but if Garland is a 1RW, we have serious problems with our first line unless he improves. As it currently stands, he's about a 50-point guy and we should hope for more for a 1st line guy, especially if we want to be a playoff team. That said, if we're sort of mixing and matching our top guys, it might still make sense to have Garland with Petey and Miller with Boeser or something like that to sort of make two decent top six lines.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think Allvin would much rather keep Bo than Boeser or Garland, if it came to that.

Imho, it will be based on dollars and team identity and position of the other players. Rutherford and Allvin have been really harping on cap flexibility since they came in. They've also been talking about the team needing more speed and skill. Garland seems to fit the bill there. If they see Petey as a C and want to keep JT Miller, then it'll be tough paying a 3C anything above 5M.

16 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Imho, it will be based on dollars and team identity and position of the other players. Rutherford and Allvin have been really harping on cap flexibility since they came in. They've also been talking about the team needing more speed and skill. Garland seems to fit the bill there. If they see Petey as a C and want to keep JT Miller, then it'll be tough paying a 3C anything above 5M.

It would be, but I can't see Bo as a 3C. 30 goal scorers aren't 3Cs in today's NHL and the vast majority of them are actually 1Cs. We have very strong depth at C, if you consider JT a centre. It's far more likely that we use Miller or Petey as more of a winger to more appropriately use our forwards than play Horvat like a 3C.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Might be a nice idea, but if Garland is a 1RW, we have serious problems with our first line unless he improves. As it currently stands, he's about a 50-point guy and we should hope for more for a 1st line guy, especially if we want to be a playoff team. That said, if we're sort of mixing and matching our top guys, it might still make sense to have Garland with Petey and Miller with Boeser or something like that to sort of make two decent top six lines.

I disagree, Garland was playing at a 65 point pace on a poor Arizona team last season and is close to 50 points with close to no PP1 time pacing third line minutes throughout the season. Currently second on the team in 5on5 production behind Miller.

Analytics have him as a legit top 6 play driving winger. He is so good at creating opportunities and makes his line mates better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:49 PM, Locke Lamora said:

I still think Bo is a 2C myself, but he’s an elite 3C thats for sure. Bo’s only a couple of goals back from “The Messiah” JT Miller (I love Miller like every one else) and could very well overtake him for team lead in goals by the end of the season. Bo is becoming a sneaky good goal scorer and I never really thought he’d be looking more advanced in this aspect of the game than Brock. 

I agree Horvat is a very good #2 C should score 25-30 G--56-61 points plays a solid 200 foot game very strong, 6'0, 218 lbs need to sign Horvat 26 years old to long term contract...Say 6 yrs X avv 6.3 million-- Horvats contract expires summer 2023

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree.  I was thinking he and Brock will be in the 6-6.5M range, with Bo getting longer term.

I'm not worried about Brock's QO as it's so clear that he is undeserving of a bigger raise.  He

probably wouldn't want to go to arbitration anymore that the GM would.  Hopefully it can be

worked out fairly and amicably.

Yeah. You’d hope so. I think JT gets moved this summer, because I cannot see this braintrust extending him to an 7 or 8 year deal when everyone seems to think that’s not a wise decision to do for a player who is entering into their 30’s, and where players - for no fault of their own - generally decline. The Rangers could have a bad contract with Zibenajad in a few years, assuming that narrative that players in their 30’s start to decline.

Bo’ll sign here, for 7-8 years. He’ll get the max contract in term. I suspect his cap hit will probably be higher than the 6M he’s made in his previous deal. Probably, like you’ve said, between 6-6.5M. 

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think for me, Garland seems to be the odd man out. If the rumors are true with LA, I suspect that’s probably where he’ll land this off-season. The Kings have a plethora of RHD prospects, so we could nab one or maybe even two, out from their system for Garland. Most likely one RHD prospect and a pick for Garland? Is that reasonable and fair? Or should we be asking for more. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think for me, Garland seems to be the odd man out. If the rumors are true with LA, I suspect that’s probably where he’ll land this off-season. The Kings have a plethora of RHD prospects, so we could nab one or maybe even two, out from their system for Garland. Most likely one RHD prospect and a pick for Garland? Is that reasonable and fair? Or should we be asking for more. 

I think that’s what I’ve heard too.  Garland has good value, so will return a top D prospect and a pick.  Whereas Boeser’s value (because of his contract situation) is lower, so if he goes it’s more of a hockey trade - money out and money in.  

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. You’d hope so. I think JT gets moved this summer, because I cannot see this braintrust extending him to an 7 or 8 year deal when everyone seems to think that’s not a wise decision to do for a player who is entering into their 30’s, and where players - for no fault of their own - generally decline. The Rangers could have a bad contract with Zibenajad in a few years, assuming that narrative that players in their 30’s start to decline.

Bo’ll sign here, for 7-8 years. He’ll get the max contract in term. I suspect his cap hit will probably be higher than the 6M he’s made in his previous deal. Probably, like you’ve said, between 6-6.5M. 

Looking at the Ranger's # of long term NMC signed, makes me think they will be in trouble in

a few years.

I've given up on the idea that the Nucks will be able to sign Miller, which will leave a hole in the

top 6.

I can see that for Bo.  I know that some fans don't agree, but I think he's a solid and durable 2nd C.

If the team can develop a scrappy power forward (Podz or trade for one), to play alongside Pete,

we'd have a decent 1C + 2C  scenario.  Still require a strong, 2-way 3C + a couple of scrappy

bottom 6 guys.  Re-sign Lappy as 4th C. 

Then onto the Defense...

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think that’s what I’ve heard too.  Garland has good value, so will return a top D prospect and a pick.  Whereas Boeser’s value (because of his contract situation) is lower, so if he goes it’s more of a hockey trade - money out and money in.  

If we can get a top D prospect and a pick, then I say we do that move. He doesn’t seem to fit the style that we’re playing, or the mixture of players, there just doesn’t seem to be the right mix of players for Garland. 

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Looking at the Ranger's # of long term NMC signed, makes me think they will be in trouble in

a few years.

I've given up on the idea that the Nucks will be able to sign Miller, which will leave a hole in the

top 6.

I can see that for Bo.  I know that some fans don't agree, but I think he's a solid and durable 2nd C.

If the team can develop a scrappy power forward (Podz or trade for one), to play alongside Pete,

we'd have a decent 1C + 2C  scenario.  Still require a strong, 2-way 3C + a couple of scrappy

Then onto the Defense...

Oh, the Rangers will absolutely be in trouble in a few years. But they’ll need to swing for the fences eventually, sooner rather than later. 

I personally think that Miller’s keeping quiet because he’s more interested in testing free agency, which doesn’t surprise me. Last pay day, I don’t blame him whatsoever for wanting the largest deal financially that he can get, for as long as he can get it (7 years if not signed with us). Plus, does he enjoy living in Canada? A lot of American born players just do not like living in Canada, and prefer moving back to the US. So that’s another factor. Miller’s also a competitive player - he wants to win. Can he win here

Yeah. I think Bo’s been here for such a long time, and he’s also a family man, so I can’t really see him uprooting his family if the deal he’s getting is relatively close to the one that the Canucks are offering. I suspect he’ll probably get some kind of NTC in his upcoming deal as well, or at the very least a M-NTC. 

The defense is something that concerns me. If we moved out Myers, we’d need to sign someone at free agency to fill his shoes. Is that player going to cost the same as Myers if not more expensive? And what could we get for Myers?

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Oh, the Rangers will absolutely be in trouble in a few years. But they’ll need to swing for the fences eventually, sooner rather than later. 

I personally think that Miller’s keeping quiet because he’s more interested in testing free agency, which doesn’t surprise me. Last pay day, I don’t blame him whatsoever for wanting the largest deal financially that he can get, for as long as he can get it (7 years if not signed with us). Plus, does he enjoy living in Canada? A lot of American born players just do not like living in Canada, and prefer moving back to the US. So that’s another factor. Miller’s also a competitive player - he wants to win. Can he win here

Yeah. I think Bo’s been here for such a long time, and he’s also a family man, so I can’t really see him uprooting his family if the deal he’s getting is relatively close to the one that the Canucks are offering. I suspect he’ll probably get some kind of NTC in his upcoming deal as well, or at the very least a M-NTC. 

The defense is something that concerns me. If we moved out Myers, we’d need to sign someone at free agency to fill his shoes. Is that player going to cost the same as Myers if not more expensive? And what could we get for Myers?

I think there might be a chance to trade Myers to Seattle.  They are desperate for a middle RD

and cap won't be an issue for the remaining 2 yrs of his contract.

Myers to Seattle for Donato

I also think Brock will be signed and traded.  He may be young, but he sure ain't fast.  Perhaps

they can find a decent young RD in a trade for Brock. 

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree Horvat is a very good #2 C should score 25-30 G--56-61 points plays a solid 200 foot game very strong, 6'0, 218 lbs need to sign Horvat 26 years old to long term contract...Say 6 yrs X avv 6.3 million-- Horvats contract expires summer 2023

As mentioned in many previous posts, this isn't true.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I think there might be a chance to trade Myers to Seattle.  They are desperate for a middle RD

I also think Brock will be signed and traded.  He may be young, but he sure ain't fast.  Perhaps

I’m thinking we sign and keep Brock.  Garland is the guy traded.  

Bo we will extend?

a few years.

top 6.

Then onto the Defense...

The thing is, with Petey and Miller, they're defensively responsible and make their wingers better, so it doesn't matter who you put them with.

Bo being more of a complementary piece, you have to make sure he's with at least one strong 2 way forward and one playmaker that can get him the puck to shoot.

And replace him with who on D

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo’s 200 foot game is not as good as Petey’s, but it’s way better than Miller’s.  

Not that Miller is amazing defensively, but I wouldn't say Bo is better than Miller. IMO Miller's got a better stick and reads in the d-zone and has been relied more on the PK.

It's more when Miller gets frustrated or careless that turn into weak defensive plays.

10 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Not that Miller is amazing defensively, but I wouldn't say Bo is better than Miller. IMO Miller's got a better stick and reads in the d-zone and has been relied more on the PK.

It's more when Miller gets frustrated or careless that turn into weak defensive plays.

Bo is way better than Miller defensively.  It’s not just D zone.  It’s all over the ice.  Bo makes better decisions and is more often on the right side of the puck than Miller.  Miller is a great player, but he’s not smart defensively.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo is way better than Miller defensively.  It’s not just D zone.  It’s all over the ice.  Bo makes better decisions and is more often on the right side of the puck than Miller.  Miller is a great player, but he’s not smart defensively.  

Disagree.

• Cheers 1