The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Hasn't been the case. More than handful haven't worn a visor since Manny's injury the last 5 years. 

I remember when I was a young guy playing, we didn't ever wear helmets.  That's the fifties and sixties though.  I don't see why guys wouldn't wear a shield these days, even if they are Boppers.

7 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Hasn't been the case. More than handful haven't worn a visor since Manny's injury the last 5 years. 

Now that he's 'coaching staff' he may have a more powerful influence.  Why else would the players you mentioned suddenly start wearing visors?

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember when I was a young guy playing, we didn't ever wear helmets.  That's the fifties and sixties though.  I don't see why guys wouldn't wear a shield these days, even if they are Boppers.

If you are a fighter (not many left though) you should not being wear a visor. 

• 3 weeks later...

He needs to step up the intensity and physicality of his game.  Been fairly unimpressed giving his play so far and what we gave up to acquire him.  I hope there is more to his game then just pushing people away and ontop of the goalie after the whistle.  I've seen more people blow around him than getting blown up by him, we had D that could do that already.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He needs to step up the intensity and physicality of his game.  Been fairly unimpressed giving his play so far and what we gave up to acquire him.  I hope there is more to his game then just pushing people away and ontop of the goalie after the whistle.  I've seen more people blow around him than getting blown up by him, we had D that could do that already.

Canuck fans should be very excited about the d-core this year. IMHO Gudbranson is a big part of that. One of the youngest groups in the NHL. We might all want a more overtly physical game but the reality is that the team has a real problem with scoring which leaves the d-core with less flexibility with the higher risk associated with physical play. It exposes them to missed assignments, missed contact or penalty. I am excited about what this group evolves into even as soon as next spring. The group as the potential of a CUP quality d-core. I include Gudbranson in this group.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Canuck fans should be very excited about the d-core this year. IMHO Gudbranson is a big part of that. One of the youngest groups in the NHL. We might all want a more overtly physical game but the reality is that the team has a real problem with scoring which leaves the d-core with less flexibility with the higher risk associated with physical play. It exposes them to missed assignments, missed contact or penalty. I am excited about what this group evolves into even as soon as next spring. The group as the potential of a CUP quality d-core. I include Gudbranson in this group.

But will fans be excited at what he brings when it'll cost us at least $5MM per for 6 years for a dman that brings zero offence?