The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

7 hours ago, Visp said:

Also from Pedan:

Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'

— Igor Eronko (@IgorEronko) May 31, 2016

Frankly I'm not sold on Pedan's attitude, so I would not take his character reference for a young 19 year old rookie either.. Go and listen to some of his videos and you might see my point. He has that "if I am not in the team it will not be my fault" attitude.

He's a player who isn't in the team and had played less games than McCann despite being a good bit older. He should keep it buttoned till he has actually done something in the NHL.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is the correct outlook, with respects to @Alflives. In simple terms Hutton / Guddy & Edler / Tanev makes sense from a right side left side outlook. But also stylistically & what they bring to the table?

Edler, while not a mean bastard, is very cable of clearing most forwards from the net at 6'3'' & 212 or 216lbs. Tanev is the body with close out speed, the agility to cut down angles and superb positioning. Which is not elite in either Edler or Gudbranson? Edler / Tanev is just a more complimentary pair than Edler / Gudbranson!

And nothing wrong with that either! We want Hutton, a similar size and speed to Tanev, to learn Tanev's defensive skillset. To add to the offensive creativity Hutton injects. Hutton / Gudbranson has the possibility of being a great second pairing!

Edler and Sbsia were the only D men who could handle the big forwards down low.  With Gudbranson now they have the ability to have each pairing handle the bigger bodies which should help.

I agree that if Hutton and Gudbranson can click, it would be a big boost to the Canucks back end.  Although Canuck fans are always majorly critical, I think Sbsia is a gamer and he is going to push hard to try and make things happen in the bottom pairing.  Will be really interesting to see between Biega/Tryamkin/Larsen/Pedan who can take the ball and run with it

On 8/19/2016 at 4:41 PM, alfstonker said:

Frankly I'm not sold on Pedan's attitude, so I would not take his character reference for a young 19 year old rookie either.. Go and listen to some of his videos and you might see my point. He has that "if I am not in the team it will not be my fault" attitude.

He's a player who isn't in the team and had played less games than McCann despite being a good bit older. He should keep it buttoned till he has actually done something in the NHL.

Batwoman I'm not sold on your attitude.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

I just uploaded Game 4! 

There have been a couple things I have noticed as I have been putting these together..

- He is used almost exclusively against the top guns (Tavares line).

- He plays much better as the series goes on, and consequently the coach (Gallant) gives him more and more minutes.

- He uses his size well, in most instances, and is able to win a lot of battles just with his physicality. You can tell the guys on the other team hate playing against him. It will be nice seeing Guddy and Tryamkin in our lineup next year, instead of Weber and Bartkowski lol. 

- Was used heavily in P.K scenarios, with very little PP time. 

- For the most part his passes were all very accurate, and most of the time he was able to start a successful breakout. 

- His mobility is excellent for his size. He can get caught out of position every once in a while, but does well to get back and break it up.

- Communicates well with his teammates on the ice, and sticks up for them after the whistle. Seems to have great leadership qualities. 

Man, is it just me, or was Ekblad pretty much invisible that game?

Seems like Gudbranson played the whole game.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Man, is it just me, or was Ekblad pretty much invisible that game?

Seems like Gudbranson played the whole game.

:o holy crap you are right! 

We traded for a super-human capable of playing the entire game - not bad, thanks JB ::D

• Upvote 1

I'm absolutely pumped to have Gudbranson on the team. It's been awhile since there was a Dman with his Skill set on the Canucks. Willie was close, but older when he suited up for the Canucks. Not since Jovo has there been a wrecking ball on the backend. 

I am really happy with the young core that JB has constructed, and happy with the pieces he's kept. 

If he signs an extension i will order his jersey. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 11:51 PM, Laheys Liquor said:

Hey all!

So I have been the usual at this time of year: hockey deprived. 

I have always thought that this trade was a great one, and wanted to see more and really get a sense of how he can impact a game, I started watching his playoff series on YouTube and got tired of skipping through.

So naturally, I have decided to create a series of videos with every Erik Gudbranson shift in his 6 game playoff this past spring.

So far I have created games 1-3, they are around 30 minutes each, I will be uploading the rest as soon as I stop procrastinating :lol:

If you would like to check it out, I have the links below!

Oh Man, thx a ton dude !!

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2016 at 4:19 PM, Laheys Liquor said:

I just uploaded Game 4! 

There have been a couple things I have noticed as I have been putting these together..

- He is used almost exclusively against the top guns (Tavares line).

- He plays much better as the series goes on, and consequently the coach (Gallant) gives him more and more minutes.

- He uses his size well, in most instances, and is able to win a lot of battles just with his physicality. You can tell the guys on the other team hate playing against him. It will be nice seeing Guddy and Tryamkin in our lineup next year, instead of Weber and Bartkowski lol. 

- Was used heavily in P.K scenarios, with very little PP time. 

- For the most part his passes were all very accurate, and most of the time he was able to start a successful breakout. 

- His mobility is excellent for his size. He can get caught out of position every once in a while, but does well to get back and break it up.

- Communicates well with his teammates on the ice, and sticks up for them after the whistle. Seems to have great leadership qualities. 

+++Great job, LL.  Erik is going to be a key player for the Canucks; especially during the rebuild.  He will bail out young guys (mistakes) and protect the smaller players.  I don't care if he doesn't score much.  Keeping the puck out of the net is just as important.  The goalies will love him (poor Luongo) is still shaking his head over this trade).

He's already showing leadership and commitment to the team/city, so I'm not worried about him re-signing.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think New additions Gudbranson and Larsen already have more shots on goal than Weber and Bartowski all last season. ;) 

Gudbranson certainly an upgrade on Weber and Bartowski. 

Larsen, jury is still out for him, for me personally. How did he look tonight, though against the 'Canes? 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Larsen, jury is still out for him, for me personally. How did he look tonight, though against the 'Canes? 

Larsen has been "real good." But in all seriousness, he's been smart defensively, and a great skater. Definitely not what I was expecting, but he's been really quite impressive!

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

He is coming to form quicker than I anticipate.  Started to watch the clips from his KHL games when we got his rights from the Oilers. 

He was never given a fair turn in the Oilers whirlpool of poor management and staff. Larsen did the right thing by going to the KHL,. The bigger surface gave him the time and space to work on his game,. His puck skills are superb for a D man, his skating is well above average, his shot is quickly released and he doesn't hesitate to use it. I thought he would have made the adjustment to NA Ice by mid November.  But he has adjusted already, he's here to stay,. and will look primo by the end of the month.

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think New additions Gudbranson and Larsen already have more shots on goal than Weber and Bartowski all last season. ;) 

It was only the strong start last fall that even had the Canucks competitive up till Christmas. Weber and Bart were part of that. B) I agree though the d-core is the strength of this team over the first two games. The Blues game will tell us a lot.