The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I think Gudbranson did exactly the right thing when he went back at Larsson.

I love his physicality and refusal to back down. 

He is also a smart and funny guy... you can pick up his sense of humour and intelligence just from the short clips when they interviewed him.

I think he is a huge addition to the team.  :)

i agree. 

i think Guddy's a big addition to the team :)

the team is out of the gate pretty good in four games, we haven't lost at all yet. it's a very good start. but let's see what happens against tougher opponents. 

65 points is extremely low. i think we will finish probably 70's to 80's in points. see what happens in the month of November, but so far so good. 

this ruins our chances of getting Nolan Patrick. noooooooooooo

Love Gudbranson's physicality but he is a pretty smart player on top of it. Makes a lot of safe plays. People are saying he talks a lot to team mates as well which spreads the attitude. Same old culture reared its head last night when Markstrom was ran. Nobody launched themselves at the Sabre player. I believe Tanev and Edler were on the ice.

Edler is still the best d-man on the team. I say that because of his offensive upside plus his physicality. That said I do often question his hockey IQ. Many fans like to point fingers at Virtanen but seriously some of the plays Edler makes has to make you scratch your head.

12 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

What did you guys think of Gudbranson's physicality and feistiness out there tonight? He had that big hit against the Buffalo player along the boards to separate the player and the puck, and then went after Larsson after the slewfoot attempt.

Tough time of the game to take a penalty like that though. 2 points is more important than sending a message 99% of the time, especially for a defenceman you'd want killing the penalty.

Just wanna chime in on how people are generally saying Gudbranson is our Bieksa replacement. I don't necessarily agree with that and have a different take which I mentioned in the PGT last game:

15 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

He's a lot more similar to Mitchell than Bieksa imho.

Not as stupid and aggressive as Juice in terms of jumping up in a play. More of a calming influence just hovering and guarding the blueline like Willie used to B) 

Guddy is a lot more similar to Mitchell than Juice.

He's not as motivated/careless/risky as Bieksa in the sense of pinching up in the offensive zone. He much rather likes to just sick back alongside the blue paint and guard it. Towering fella too like Mitchell was. He's 6'5" 215lbs compared to Mitchell's 6'3" 210lbs, versus Bieksa's 6'1" 200lbs. 

Not a coincidence he plays similarly to Willie too considering Willie was the one who mentored him in Florida when Guddy was entering the league. Mitchell was the captain at the time and played a full season alongside Gudbranson in which Gudbranson has openely expressed how much he learned playing with him.

...I'm hopeful that's the type of player Guddy can turn into for us. Would go a long ways. Not the most impactful of players in terms of the scoreboard but an excellent safety blanket to have back there knowing he just makes the right plays and has the toughness to him to crash and bang when need be. 

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Cv51GWJVIAAq-7G.jpg

... some Fangs on that mouthpiece might even be more intimidating ;)

Hope T88 can get in very soon to support the physical play on D that Big G is packing on his shoulders..

.. some one like Shattenkirk with Edler,..  would be nice too, but that's on the wish list. I was tired of watching C Tanev being targeted to hit night in and out last season, it's happening again.

That situation has to change.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those are two guys, who don't relish the fighting part of hockey, but ball up because they know it's important.  Thanks for giving up on Kassian JB.  

I really think Kass was a tough desicion for JB,.  thick skulls are hard to get through sometimes Alf ;)

Im not saying that with any disrespect to Zack , I am very happy that he has found the discipline to change things around for himself and stay in the game he loves.

The short Habs stint was probably a big eye opener for him, actually injured himself physically.. sometimes when we draw our own blood, it opens the door to understanding our own mortality, and wakes us up from the immortal dream.

JB was part of that process, and Zack is alive and well, I'm sure their relationship in this matter is a humbling one.

We all have Soul Family,. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

... some Fangs on that mouthpiece might even be more intimidating ;)

Hope T88 can get in very soon to support the physical play on D that Big G is packing on his shoulders..

.. some one like Shattenkirk with Edler,..  would be nice too, but that's on the wish list. I was tired of watching C Tanev being targeted to hit night in and out last season, it's happening again.

That situation has to change.

The look on Kassian's face cracks me up. I hope Tryamkin is racing his poorly conditioned ass up and down the ice so the next time he IS in the lineup he'll stand out for something other than being tall. If he can get himself up to average NHL conditioning we could have a decent D prospect, and I think it's just a matter of time.

Agreed on Tanev taking too many hits, but when you play a lot of minutes in your own zone thems the breaks.   

Guddy_Copy.jpg

Edited by Green Building

Hey GB,.   I don't think Nik was AS out of shape as everyone thinks.  I really do think they have been working on his "edge".

.. AND taking advantage of getting there hands on him to SHOW him what the Canucks expect. 

An athelete in average shape going on a "program" for 4 weeks will be flying over the boards to perform 12- 20 mins a game, and feel fantastic doing it.  Playing in an anaerobic sport like hockey is tough,. But training is far tougher.

I really hope we see Nik tonight.   ... and hope he is given the time and opportunity to make mistakes and succeed as every other rookie we have..

Edited by SilentSam

35 minutes ago, Green Building said:

The look on Kassian's face cracks me up. I hope Tryamkin is racing his poorly conditioned ass up and down the ice so the next time he IS in the lineup he'll stand out for something other than being tall. If he can get himself up to average NHL conditioning we could have a decent D prospect, and I think it's just a matter of time.

Agreed on Tanev taking too many hits, but when you play a lot of minutes in your own zone thems the breaks.   

Reveal hidden contents

Guddy_Copy.jpg

Hey GB,.   I don't think Nik was AS out of shape as everyone thinks.  I really do think they have been working on his "edge".

.. AND taking advantage of getting there hands on him to SHOW him what the Canucks expect. 

An athelete in average shape going on a "program" for 4 weeks will be flying over the boards to perform 12- 20 mins a game, and feel fantastic doing it.  Playing in an anaerobic sport like hockey is tough,. But training is far tougher.

I really hope we see Nik tonight.   ... and hope he is given the time and opportunity to make mistakes and succeed as every other rookie we have..

20 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I found Gretzky's comment on his retirement interesting. He said he thought he could have played another 10 years if it was just playing the game, travel wasn't a problem either. He said he quit because he could no longer handle the time for conditioning and training that was required.

• Upvote 1

On October 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Green Building said:

Guddy_Copy.jpg

Time to try Trymakin with Tanev. Give Tanev some protection and give Trymakin a fantastic d partner. 

Keep Stecher with Edler and Guddy with Hutton. Young emerging players with experience.  That's our path to success if not this season, next year. It has to start now.  

These are 5 on 5 pairings that can shift depending on special teams and match ups. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Buckeye Fruit said:

Love the guy  but he came off kind of snippy with the dinosaur prank...."thats why you come to the rink early"?  

Yeah I seen that. part of me is like chill man it was a joke. the other part of me likes how upset he is losing.