The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Hutton/Clendening could be a solid option considering our current prospects, or Subban could be someone who really matches with him. He could also be matched with a Tanev or Corrado to give a more responsible 5 on 5 presence.

Cederholm doesn't make much sense, although Tryamkin's style of play (and even Pedan's) as bigger, but good skating defenceman with shots could work. Cederholm isn't as known for his skating or his shot, but would be more of a strictly stay at home type that probably won't have much impact on any sort of offensive pairing at the NHL level. Maybe as a PK type of pair, but again they play the same side.

Hutton/Clendening could be a solid option considering our current prospects, or Subban could be someone who really matches with him. He could also be matched with a Tanev or Corrado to give a more responsible 5 on 5 presence.

Cederholm doesn't make much sense, although Tryamkin's style of play (and even Pedan's) as bigger, but good skating defenceman with shots could work. Cederholm isn't as known for his skating or his shot, but would be more of a strictly stay at home type that probably won't have much impact on any sort of offensive pairing at the NHL level. Maybe as a PK type of pair, but again they play the same side.

I hope I'm wrong about Clendening but he strikes me as a Weber replacement (good 6/7, complimentary offensive guy), not an all out top 4 offensive guy. I don't think he has as high of a ceiling as Hutton (hopefully) does (second pair IMO). There's nothing wrong with that but it's not where I hope Hutton gets to.

I'd say Subban (offense, offense, offense!) or Tanev (good all around pair)...maybe Corrado would be his most likely partners but that will depend largely on how high Subban can climb.

Edited by J.R.

I agree on the limitations for the ceilings of Hutton's potential D partners, but they'd be good options during his development while he gets to his ceiling. And I'd rather that than considering Cederholm as a suitable partner for him to play with at most of the levels they'll both encounter.

I agree on the limitations for the ceilings of Hutton's potential D partners, but they'd be good options during his development while he gets to his ceiling. And I'd rather that than considering Cederholm as a suitable partner for him to play with at most of the levels they'll both encounter.

Fair enough ;)

What the hell else is there to talk about anyway? :lol:

Yes he is the best out of are PMD prospects. Could have a Very high ceiling

That's debatable. Subban's faster and has more outright offensive skill IMO. McNally's also pretty skilled, has good "battle/compete level" and decently sized. Hutton's got pretty good offensive instincts and good size though.

He might be the safest bet as he has possibly the most well rounded package but either of those other guys could win the race. None are by any means sure things though...

Then there's whoever we draft this year...

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I think he has very good potential to be a top 4 d-man in this league. of all of our prospects, he's the biggest bet in my opinion. Though, like all of our d-prospects, far from a sure thing, but i've always had high hopes for him. Feel he's our most underrated prospect.

Edited by Supra

• 2 weeks later...

He had Werenski and Hanifin-like numbers the last couple of seasons, only problem is he's about 4 years older than those kids. I don't see Hutton as a first pairing defenceman, but depending on how he does in Utica next season, he could fill out to become a nice 2nd pairing left handed defenceman. We still need a future stud top pairing guy on the left side to play ahead of Hutton and Sbisa when Edler gets older though.

If Hutton had Subban's skills and wheels though...

Better yet, Tryamkin...

Someone needs to watch the highlights. Hutton scored in his first AHL game. Blasted up the wing alone, scored short side. The number of times he uses a drag move to get past sprawling players and the way he fires across his body from the goal line to the opposite top corner is unbelievable. He's not insanely fast but he does have speed and he can move laterally quite well.

Someone needs to watch the highlights. Hutton scored in his first AHL game. Blasted up the wing alone, scored short side. The number of times he uses a drag move to get past sprawling players and the way he fires across his body from the goal line to the opposite top corner is unbelievable. He's not insanely fast but he does have speed and he can move laterally quite well.

Sorry the comment I was trying to make was more to the sentiment that if only Subban had (insert tall player)'s body so he could have their height with his skill set. Which is why I brought up Tryamkin, not that Hutton and Tryamkin had a comparable amount of skill, but because they're both tall players.

But yes, I do agree that Hutton is skilled in his own right.