The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEATH] Multiple sources reporting Gordie Howe died this morning

Stix

Just a thought

Maybe the NHL should now change that silly name of the Metropolitan Division to the Howe Division

Awards[edit]

Records[edit]

• Most NHL regular season games played: 1,767[1]
  • Most NHL regular season games played with a single team: 1,687[1]
  • Most NHL and WHA regular season games played: 2,186
  • Most NHL and WHA regular season and playoff games played: 2,421
  • Most NHL seasons played: 26 (tied with Chris Chelios)[1]
  • Most NHL and WHA seasons played: 32
  • Most NHL regular season goals by a right winger: 801
  • Most NHL regular season points by a father/son combo (with son Mark): 2,592
  • Most consecutive NHL 20-goal seasons: 22 (1949–1971)
  • First player to score over 1000 goals (WHA and NHL, regular season and playoff combined)
  • First player to reach 1,500 games played in NHL history.
  • Most times leading NHL playoffs in scoring (six times)
  • Oldest player to play in NHL: 52 years, 11 days (no other player has played past the age of 48)
  • First in Red Wings history in points, goals and games played, second in assists
  • Most NHL All-Star Game appearances: 23

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

gordie and colleen together again..he was part of one of the best lines in hockey, along with ted lindsay and my favourite player alex delvecchio...i believe he was the best all around players in the game.

back in the six team league, goalies prior to plante, didn't wear masks...johnny bower tells the story, how he had saved a shot by howe...but it trickled out a foot from his head as he lay on the ice  gordie came barreling in for a rebound...seeing the situation, he gently tapped the puck under bowers pads...he told bower later, that things have a way of evening out....

when lou fontananto of the vancouver canucks got called up to the ny rangers,,,he decided to make a name for himself by scrapping and beating mr. howe..he was never the same player after the beating gordie gave him...r.i.p. old man.

Wasn't the line Sid Abel on that line with Howe and Lindsay, Joe? That was the "Production Line" as I recall it.

In any event, the loss of another giant. We'll never see his like again... 

I remember reading his biography when he released it a couple of years ago and thinking that he truly was an amazing person. I never had the chance to get to watch him play, but he is undoubtedly one of the greatest ambassadors for the game. May he rest in peace... 

When you are skilled enough to play with your sons in the pros, and still be one of the best players on the ice that says something.

If the league is giving the Hurricane's money they should donate a million or two to the Howe Estate, and maybe to grass roots hockey to try and raise more Gordie Howe's. 

That picture of Howe fishing shows what a tank the guy was. He and Bobby Hull in an era before dieticians, trainers, were monsters built by hard work on Canadian farms and icy ponds in winter. 

A guy who played top flight hockey for 4 decades is incredible. RIP Mr. Hockey. Wayne may have better stats, but I still put you and Bobby Orr as my 1,2 all time. I just wish I was around to see him play in his prime. 

Archived