The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Search for boy snatched by alligator turns to recovery effort at Disney World

RUPERTKBD

Just now, Gooseberries said:

You can't assume that last part. It's pretty offensive tbh. Do you know if they have another child? It only takes a second for these things to happen. It's kind of ironic that you likely posted this from a cell phone...

I agree.  It is very offensive and there is nothing to indicate that that was the case. What a terrible assumption the poster in question has made. Is he even a parent? Had to ever look after a two year old? I'm thinking, judging by his post, that he is/has not.

32 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

You can't assume that last part. It's pretty offensive tbh. Do you know if they have another child? It only takes a second for these things to happen. It's kind of ironic that you likely posted this from a cell phone...

Computer, but thanks for coming out.  Point stands.  Proper parenting would have prevented this.  So would common sense.  It's not like this is an ongoing issue at Disney World.

Though I get it, as I stated, common sense is long dead so obviously the Park is to blame.

32 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I agree.  It is very offensive and there is nothing to indicate that that was the case. What a terrible assumption the poster in question has made. Is he even a parent? Had to ever look after a two year old? I'm thinking, judging by his post, that he is/has not.

Yes I have, but I get it, the mentally weak and the unaccountable are taking over the world. Looking for someone else to blame.  This forum is being taken over by people looking to be offended over, just like the rest of the World.  Soon we will need bubble wrap and warning labels on everything to keep the fragile safe.

9 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Yes I have, but I get it, the mentally weak and the unaccountable are taking over the world. Looking for someone else to blame.  This forum is being taken over by people looking to be offended over, just like the rest of the World.  Soon we will need bubble wrap and warning labels on everything to keep the fragile safe.

Well that was a wild, arms flailing, leap into over-generalization. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Just keep putting yourself up on a pedestal. Never been caught on your phone, never taken offense to anything. How about this; this world has been taken over by people who unrightfully think they are better than others. Take a.long look at yourself man. Believe it or not you've made a mistake or two in your life and you definitely will again. The next time you do make a big mistake  I hope some coward across the world is behind a computer pointing a finger at you.

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Just keep putting yourself up on a pedestal. Never been caught on your phone, never taken offense to anything. How about this; this world has been taken over by people who unrightfully think they are better than others. Take a.long look at yourself man. Believe it or not you've made a mistake or two in your life and you definitely will again. The next time you do make a big mistake  I hope some coward across the world is behind a computer pointing a finger at you.

gasp.

My understanding is the dad was close enough to his son that he was able to fight with the gator and get all scraped up to no avail. Those gaters can be quick. I don't think this was parent negligence. And gators are apparently like rats in terms of numbers in Florida, so it's hard to blame Disney too much. It's just a devastating scenario. I mean, who would suspect that would happen? I sure wouldn't have. When you're in the "Disney bubble" like this family probably was, your guard is probably lowered.

2 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

Well that was a wild, arms flailing, leap into over-generalization. :lol:

So?

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I've made tonnes of mistakes, and I've owned every one of them.  Something people choose not to do nowadays.

13 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

This was so avoidable.  People really friggin' have to get their heads out of their arses and take responsibility for their children and protect them.  His parents knew that the child was playing in alligator infested waters but still let him do it.  They can't deny it because they gave a second by second account of what happened. 

This kind of crap p*sses me off to no end.

And it happened at 9:16 pm. Isn't it dark there by that time?  What kind of parent lets a toddler play on the shore of a swamp in Florida after dark?  Baffles me. 

11 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

You can't be hurting people's feeeeeeeelings nowadays, man.  :lol:   Have you seen this?

I used to live in the panhandle of Florida.  If there is a body of water, there are signs warning of gators.

I remember hearing about people's dogs getting eaten by them at Hurricane Lake.  I always would be mad for someone being so stupid to let there dog swim in the lake and at the same time still felt bad for the owners.  I can't imagine the terror of your child being killed by a gator.  Very sad.

11 hours ago, Slegr said:

My understanding is the dad was close enough to his son that he was able to fight with the gator and get all scraped up to no avail. Those gaters can be quick. I don't think this was parent negligence. And gators are apparently like rats in terms of numbers in Florida, so it's hard to blame Disney too much. It's just a devastating scenario. I mean, who would suspect that would happen? I sure wouldn't have. When you're in the "Disney bubble" like this family probably was, your guard is probably lowered.

That's my understanding as well. Add to that, alligators are strong and you're in their territory...

I'm not surprised he was unsuccessful.

4 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

And it happened at 9:16 pm. Isn't it dark there by that time?  What kind of parent lets a toddler play on the shore of a swamp in Florida after dark?  Baffles me. 

An idiotic one who will end up suing Disney for millions.

4 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

The family was invited by the resort to watch a movie. Here's what the area looked like:

beach-view-from-our-balcony.jpg

No warnings about alligators, just a small wooden sign that said no swimming. Alligators are also capable of leaving the water. This is hardly comparable to the gorilla cage incident. Just a bad set of circumstances, where you had an alligator small enough to slip by restrictions, yet big enough to kill a small child. 

2 hours ago, taxi said:

The family was invited by the resort to watch a movie. Here's what the area looked like:

beach-view-from-our-balcony.jpg

No warnings about alligators, just a small wooden sign that said no swimming. Alligators are also capable of leaving the water. This is hardly comparable to the gorilla cage incident. Just a bad set of circumstances, where you had an alligator small enough to slip by restrictions, yet big enough to kill a small child. 

Really, although stats would be almost nil, this sad event is bound to happen at some point.

a simple case of human/wild predator interface

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Really, although stats would be almost nil, this sad event is bound to happen at some point.

a simple case of human/wild predator interface

In a state of 20 million people, the alligator attacks are actually quite rare. The odds are lower than getting attacked by a bear or cougar in Western Canada. Very sad indeed. I just think people are way to quick to blame the parents here. Anyone who's ever been around a 2 year old knows how much they typically love water. If the resort is inviting them to that beach, you can guarantee the kid is going to get into the water. The parents were only a few feet away.

38 minutes ago, taxi said:

In a state of 20 million people, the alligator attacks are actually quite rare. The odds are lower than getting attacked by a bear or cougar in Western Canada. Very sad indeed. I just think people are way to quick to blame the parents here. Anyone who's ever been around a 2 year old knows how much they typically love water. If the resort is inviting them to that beach, you can guarantee the kid is going to get into the water. The parents were only a few feet away.

Kids have been grabbed by Cougars in Squamish and van isl for example, in the exact same way - broad daylight and with parents all around.  

We we share the land. That's all it is.

Horrible tragedy for the family.

Although don't really understand the idea behind killing 5-6 alligators though. Will that truly bring closure to the issue? Is that how simple we've become as a species?

The animals were just doing what nature dictates they do.

Archived