The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning 1040 Friday June 17

cuporbust

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

1040 said his own coach was quoted saying he's not a natural centre and should play wing yesterday 

This is what Pierre-Luc Dubois himself said about playing center compared to the wing: "I enjoy playing center better. You see the game better, you're more implicated in the [defensive] zone, you're battling in the corner to get the puck out of your zone and attack on offense. I enjoy the center part a lot. ... I had to learn fast but I think I was pretty good...I played how, when I was a winger, how I wanted my center to play. I like when my center communicates with the winger, supports them when the [defenseman] is pinching. He tells him what to do. I tried to be the guy that I wanted to play with when I was a winger." 

Apparently, he's very much a student of the game as well.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-pierre-luc-dubois-a-complete-package/c-280970424

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

How good is PLD with faceoffs? 

If he comes here, people will make sure he's the worst.

If he goes anywhere else, people will make sure he is the best. 

This is, after all, CDC. 

I like what I'm hearing. Interesting that the calls he's receiving include players he was previously unaware may be available. Incredibly curious who that could be. Regardless I personally hope that JB keep the pick unless someone knocks his socks off. I think Dubois is our guy. 

I actually like the Vey comment. I have always been a strong Vey supporter and I like to hear that Jim is seemingly trying to do the right thing for him as a person and a hockey player. I would much rather see him in the system and come back when things have cooled down with a new found confidence then traded.

As for the 2 players my gut tells me it's Eriksson/Lucic and Brouwer/McGinn/Neilson. I would be ok with these signings and putting them on 2nd and 3rd lines. Personally I'd love to see the following. 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Sutter-Eriksson

Burrows-Horvat-Brouwer

Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Rodin

Injuries happen. IF Rodin earns a spot he would see ice time and could switch out for any player who needs a game to think or heal. Could in theory see him playing on any line this year, the guys a unknown. Gaunce and Virt playing in Utica getting top line minutes. 

3 minutes ago, PlanB said:

If he comes here, people will make sure he's the worst.

If he goes anywhere else, people will make sure he is the best. 

This is, after all, CDC. 

With rookies in Vancouver, I would say the opposite is true. You're talking about veterens right?

19 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Sergachev should be at 4, he could be the best player of this entire draft.  Yes he is that good!!!

I was thinking about this as well....... whether JB saying he didn't see an elite Dman in this draft was just him blowing smoke to hide the fact he really likes that kid ... i wouldn't be surprised if he flipped that pick, picked up Sergachev who's built like a brick shythouse and can score (plus for Tryamkin too) and also added a prospect at forward - then added a couple guys like Brower and Erikkson at free agency.

This team could make the playoffs next year if he does this right. 

The kid only turns 18 next week and is already 6'3" 206 lbs. He had 57 points in 67 games with Windsor last year. 

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

I was thinking about this as well....... whether JB saying he didn't see an elite Dman in this draft was just him blowing smoke to hide the fact he really likes that kid ... i wouldn't be surprised if he flipped that pick, picked up Sergachev who's built like a brick shythouse and can score (plus for Tryamkin too) and also added a prospect at forward - then added a couple guys like Brower and Erikkson at free agency.

This team could make the playoffs next year if he does this right. 

I really like Sergachev too.  If JB can trade with the Habs or Arizona, and come out of the draft with Sergachev and ?+?  I would be VERY :towel:

Just now, Alflives said:

I really like Sergachev too.  If JB can trade with the Habs or Arizona, and come out of the draft with Sergachev and ?+?  I would be VERY :towel:

Seriously. He only turns 18 next week and he's already 6'3 206 lbs
57 points in 67 games with Windsor last year.
He is gonna be a helluva (pro) defenceman.

1:30 sweet moves

31 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

This is what Pierre-Luc Dubois himself said about playing center compared to the wing: "I enjoy playing center better. You see the game better, you're more implicated in the [defensive] zone, you're battling in the corner to get the puck out of your zone and attack on offense. I enjoy the center part a lot. ... I had to learn fast but I think I was pretty good...I played how, when I was a winger, how I wanted my center to play. I like when my center communicates with the winger, supports them when the [defenseman] is pinching. He tells him what to do. I tried to be the guy that I wanted to play with when I was a winger." 

Apparently, he's very much a student of the game as well.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-pierre-luc-dubois-a-complete-package/c-280970424

Makes me think about leadership and hockey IQ......checking 2 boxes

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Wonder if Benning calling PLD and Tkatchuk foundational is a tactic to drive the price up for a trade.

I mean they are good but if they were foundational players they would be considered for top 3 not 4-5, despite the talent in front of them.

im not saying we have to trade the 5th but If the package is huge, I'm all up for it 

Saying a player is foundational doesn't automatically make other people give more in a trade to get them. That would just be silly. Look at linden vey and luca sbisa. They are our other foundational players.

God I hope it's not eriksson, I can't see him as a fit on the team. A soft lefty perimeter player? That's not a fit for the west nor the powerplay with the sedins 

here's hoping for brouwer and okposo! Brouwer would be a fit on any line...my only worry with okposo is can he put up 60+ points without Tavares 

Thanks    darkpoet, Sergachev is going to be a star. Got a rocket shot, good hands, size. Liked that end-to-end. 

A Sergachev-Gudbranson pairing would be awesome.

Great interview, thanks for posting. Lots said by Benning.

Looking to sign A COUPLE of free agents, 20-30 goal scorers. He mentioned regarding Eriksson and Lucic, that it's difficult and they're looking to add players like that. The 20-30 UFA wingers are:

LW - Ladd, McGinn and Lucic

RW - Eriksson and Okposo

I'm also really curious who these "interesting players" are. Draft day is going to be fun. Benning said he wasn't looking to move the 5th, BUT...

He does a very good job keeping his cards close to his chest.

51 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I like what I'm hearing. Interesting that the calls he's receiving include players he was previously unaware may be available. Incredibly curious who that could be. Regardless I personally hope that JB keep the pick unless someone knocks his socks off. I think Dubois is our guy. 

I actually like the Vey comment. I have always been a strong Vey supporter and I like to hear that Jim is seemingly trying to do the right thing for him as a person and a hockey player. I would much rather see him in the system and come back when things have cooled down with a new found confidence then traded.

As for the 2 players my gut tells me it's Eriksson/Lucic and Brouwer/McGinn/Neilson. I would be ok with these signings and putting them on 2nd and 3rd lines. Personally I'd love to see the following. 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Sutter-Eriksson

Burrows-Horvat-Brouwer

Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Rodin

Injuries happen. IF Rodin earns a spot he would see ice time and could switch out for any player who needs a game to think or heal. Could in theory see him playing on any line this year, the guys a unknown. Gaunce and Virt playing in Utica getting top line minutes. 

Rodin will get a chance. Burrows may sit in press box 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

....on International ice with more time and space.

This is by far the biggest misconception in hockey. Instead of 1 or 2 guys in the neutral zone it's the whole team. It's extremely painful hockey to watch. The bigger ice surface turns hockey to soccer.

didnt you watch the Olympic's?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So is he a GOAL SCORING WINGER, or an elite number one (two way) centre, that is needed to win the Cup?  Look at the list of the last Cup winners, and how their top centres play the game.  They are TWO WAY players, who contribute offence, but NOT AT THE EXPENCE of defence.  Crosby is the perfect example of this in this playoffs.  

I do like Stamkos, and would be excited if we signed him, but I don't see him as a number one 200 foot guy, who wins Cups.  I see him as an OV.

He's a 60 goal scoring, young Canadian captain who costs nothing but cap space... You really would pass on the biggest free agent superstar in 10 years because he isn't Crosby? 

Sedins are probly retired in 2 seasons, but you don't want stamkos ... Why again? Because only 2 way centre captains win cups? This is really ludicrous and I'm done, you win or whatever.

14 minutes ago, billabong said:

God I hope it's not eriksson, I can't see him as a fit on the team. A soft lefty perimeter player? That's not a fit for the west nor the powerplay with the sedins 

here's hoping for brouwer and okposo! Brouwer would be a fit on any line...my only worry with okposo is can he put up 60+ points without Tavares 

People are crying for goals and trying to sign one of the best UFA goal scores isn't a fit?

Archived