The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Youngstars 2016?

Just now, Coconuts said:

It's really early, but his showing certainly hasn't done anything to temper my enthusiasm for the Juolevi pick.

Exactly.

But my point is no one should be jumping to conclusions after a tournament like this. I saw alot of people jumping on Juolevi saying his game was nothing special. Sometimes guys with excellent hockey IQ actually end up looking better at the NHL level.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

But my point is no one should be jumping to conclusions after a tournament like this. I saw alot of people jumping on Juolevi saying his game was nothing special. Sometimes guys with excellent hockey IQ actually end up looking better at the NHL level.

True that, there's no point in putting much stock in a tournament like this. It's too brief, and the quality of players isn't amped up like it is with the world juniors. Though too much stock is probably put in that tournament.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

This is what I was wondering. I don't see the advantage of sending Garteig to play in a lesser league. He's already better than Bachman and he seems to be pushing Demko.  I'd much rather have him in Utica under Rollie as you say.

Problem is they need Bachman under contract in order to expose him for the expansion draft.

I doubt they send him to Alaska. Maybe they can work out a loan to another team?

Our offense was mashed up PTO's and mid to late round picks.  Our defense was staffed by the same all tournament.  We are playing against teams with multiple forwards drafted in the first 2 rounds.

I see a lot of people commenting while watching a feed or twitter feeds.

I watched the games here in town, I thought we had some solid guys coming out of nowhere who deserve to make the pre-season camp if not a possible AHL contract

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Our offense was mashed up PTO's and mid to late round picks.  Our defense was staffed by the same all tournament.  We are playing against teams with multiple forwards drafted in the first 2 rounds.

I see a lot of people commenting while watching a feed or twitter feeds.

I watched the games here in town, I thought we had some solid guys coming out of nowhere who deserve to make the pre-season camp if not a possible AHL contract

Who?  I'm seeing up front only that Circonni.  Is that his name?  On D Stecher and Juiolevvi.  And both goalies.  Who else stood out to you?  If you say Subban, I stop reading. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who?  I'm seeing up front only that Circonni.  Is that his name?  On D Stecher and Juiolevvi.  And both goalies.  Who else stood out to you?  If you say Subban, I stop reading. 

Valk in the Oiler and Jets game, Roy; Abols and his clueless skating was quite engaged, Brisebois and Laplante didn't look terrible

There's some talent in that mixture of crap for sure.

That was a gross 3rd, like sub-junior quality. Ugly penalties and the inability to punish on the powerplay. Garteig looked great though for his limited role. 

I've been most impressed by some of the invites and recently signed Carcone. There seems to be something with these undrafted guys, real steals and potential projects. Despite the goal today, I was underwhelmed by LaPlante.

I'm looking forward to seeing who gets the main camp invite, who's sent to junior and who gets assigned to Utica camp. 

22 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Plus 1, but overall, there is no reason to rush this kid. If he was 6'3" and 225 lbs, I'd be all for it, but he's got pro level talent, but he's still a Junior frame.

Let him have a really good camp, be one of the last cuts, go back to the O and dominate, pulling 1st pairing minutes for the next year. 

He needs to gain strength to be able to handle the guys that he's going to face in front of the next, every night in our division.

Give him another year of gaining confidence and muscle and then let him make a serious run at a position next season.

Its harder for defense to make the jump to NHL than forwards. Takes a whole other level of strength to handle the guys who are 7 or 8 years older and 40 - 60 pounds heavier.

Yeah I'm not actually saying he will make the team. I agree with you completely. I just find people like to judge the prospects so quickly. 

28 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

I like him! I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks so, but his skating style and play reminds me a bit of Shinkaruk except I think he's more defensive aware instead of goal score mentality. 

Huh, I didn't notice D'aoust skates bowlegged...

1 hour ago, Justdean10 said:

Yeah I'm not actually saying he will make the team. I agree with you completely. I just find people like to judge the prospects so quickly. 

Absolutely. There are very few that really "Should" make the jump the first year, to the NHL.

All too often, they lack the physical toughness to survive playing against established NHL'ers.

I personally think that players should be required to pass a minimum strength testing, before they are allowed to make it to the NHL. Look at the problems Edmonton has had with rushing kids who couldn't physically meet the challenge.

Definitely a path that we don't want to follow.

Archived