The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At a Juncture .... Decisions need to be Made.

Bertorama

Canucks Hockey and their Fans are approaching a season that has a very real issue with talent and ticket sales approaching and it's about to get real!  

(management) decision  1.  Do we make hard impact trades in off season and draft that cost this organization a lot of money and future prospects to try and make some sort of half hazard un-predicted run in a year that our conference is as unpredictable as Donald Trump. (ownership backs away and lets management work)  

2. Do we start a true rebuild and does this organization actually have the balls to tell Vancouver fans ( The $ money) to suck it up for a few years and dump some historic elements on the current roster. H&D (ownership takes a hit)

3. Keeps going on the same track as today. Nothing major, nothing outlandish or controversial, no risk, seems to be the Benning/linden way. Build the team with purpose and opt out of high risk moves. Grind it out? get some character players  and see what happens. (ownership bank account pleaser) 

I am seriously not siding one way or another. There are legitimate pros and cons to each choice. 

What at are your thoughts??? Or your view of the options or do you have one that's better. ?

Nothing major? Referencing the most recent event, McCann for Gudbranson a minor league move was it? This team has been rebuilt. Hard. Very few parts remain from 3-4 years ago, and the average age is down. Fresh faces, youth movement, and add to this the yet unknown results of the 2016 draft and this team will be completely unrecognizable when compared to what people so strongly desire to be "rebuilt".

You say you aren't siding on way or another but the language you use in the options makes your bias pretty darn clear.

The management is going to do exactly what it has said a hundred times it is going to do.

Get younger and faster and bring the new faces up in a winning environment by doing their best to make the playoffs every year.

The Gudbranson trade was pretty gutsy.  They knew the kind of flak they would get for trading away McCann, yet they did it.  Guess what, it was perfectly timed before all the other D options evaporated from the market.  The price would have been way higher if they tried to pull the same move right now.  We are talking our #5 pick + other assets in order to compete with teams like Edmonton who have been left without a dance partner.

Benning said that they won't be as young as last year (when they had too many kids playing in roles they weren't ready for, mainly due to injuries).  

My prediction is they will draft PLD, sign Eriksson as a UFA, sign Larsen, Etem, Pedan and Zalewski. They will not qualify Vey and he will walk.  They will buy out Higgins and try and trade Burrows and retain half his salary.  That's pretty much it. They've already made a bold move with Gudbranson.  

If there is one more bold move left for JB it will be at the draft. I can see a trade with Columbus for the 3 pick and Hartnell. Probably our 5 and a prospect or draft pick (the 2nd for Torts perhaps). If that happens we can welcome the new #9 for the Vancouver Canucks and our future franchise player, Mr. Jesse Puljujarvi. 

48 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Nothing major? Referencing the most recent event, McCann for Gudbranson a minor league move was it? This team has been rebuilt. Hard. Very few parts remain from 3-4 years ago, and the average age is down. Fresh faces, youth movement, and add to this the yet unknown results of the 2016 draft and this team will be completely unrecognizable when compared to what people so strongly desire to be "rebuilt".

I think when most people think rebuilt.  They're thinking rebuilt into a contender, not simply having different players reaching the same or worse results.  Also, getting a 2nd pairing D is now a major move? 

OP,  I'd say it's a fair question, & had considered making a similar thread recently. Had assumed it had already been done, as this question surfaces here & there, over the past coupla' yrs.

The lousy alternative, that prob most don't want to dwell upon, is we get stuck in no-man's-land(around spots #12~18) for several years. No big runs, & no big studs drafted. Start smelling like Van's 1980's decade, 2.0 version.

We use extreme examples(say Edm) of lousy outcomes one shouldn't repeat, yet there are too many variables to fall back with these cliche answers.

How about an extreme example of good fortune? Early 90's Buff Sabres. Had a few stars(Patty L, Mogilny), but were mostly spinnin' wheels. Then they made a deal for one of Chi-towns depth 'tenders..some guy named Hasek!

Over the next half-decade they weren't THAT great, but they came close to winning it all in '99. Mostly attributable to ONE amazingly lopsided theft.

So who knows? Maybe we'll have one magical player that'll arrive, to help get things rolling in that direction. With so much parity, maybe one perfect deal can get it done?

That's my positive spin for the summer..back to gloom. :^/

5 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

My prediction is they will draft PLD, sign Eriksson as a UFA, sign Larsen, Etem, Pedan and Zalewski. They will not qualify Vey and he will walk.  They will buy out Higgins and try and trade Burrows and retain half his salary.  That's pretty much it. They've already made a bold move with Gudbranson.  

If there is one more bold move left for JB it will be at the draft. I can see a trade with Columbus for the 3 pick and Hartnell. Probably our 5 and a prospect or draft pick (the 2nd for Torts perhaps). If that happens we can welcome the new #9 for the Vancouver Canucks and our future franchise player, Mr. Jesse Puljujarvi. 

This would be the best outcome if JB can pull it off. +1

i think the rebuild is going fine.. we lose burrows, higgins, vrbata, weber, bartkowski and maybe hamhuis...next year...miller,

the sedins in two years, hopefully by then our young, new core can take over...they will lose someone to expansion....

What is a "true" rebuild.   With the new lottery system tanking does not guarantee you 1st overall, it doesn't even guarantee you top 3 pick.

Picking in the top 5 over and over again doesn't guarantee you a contending team.  The best examples is the Oilers.  But they are not alone, Columbus, Carolina, Florida, NYI, Calgary, Colorado, Arizona, Toronto has constantly been picking in the top 10 in the past 10 years.  While some of those teams are having some success and bright future, I don't see a Stanley Cup Champion in any of those teams in the next 5 years.  (Pittsburgh and Chicago were the exception not the rule of tanking)

It's easy to say let's tank and grab top 5 picks, but in reality, if you don't get that 1st overall, in that year where there is a generational talent like Crosby, McDavid, Stamkos, Ovechkin, all that tanking won't get you much closer to a cup than try to rebuild in other ways.

I like what Benning is doing, filling void, yes he's paying the price sometimes, but at least he knows what he wants and goes after it.  Will it work or not, we won't know for at least another 3 years. 

Probably safe to say JB won't bring the Canucks to the promise land, but I believe with his scouting talent, he can build a solid foundation for when the next GM takeover and maybe him will be able to make that next step.

Let's hope our next chance won't be 17 years apart, but it won't be in the next five that's for sure (whatever rebuild method we use).

7 hours ago, Bertorama said:

3. Keeps going on the same track as today. Nothing major, nothing outlandish or controversial, no risk, seems to be the Benning/linden way. Build the team with purpose and opt out of high risk moves. Grind it out? get some character players  and see what happens. (ownership bank account pleaser) 

:picard: 

In the last two years, has there been a GM in the league who has made as many major, and often controversial moves as Benning?

June 24, 2014: Named Willie Desjardins head coach.

June 27, 2014: Traded Jason Garrison and Jeff Costello to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a second round pick in the 2014 Draft

June 27, 2014: Traded the 2014 3rd round pick to the New York Rangers for Derek Dorsett.

June 27, 2014: Traded Ryan Kesler and a 2015 3rd round pick to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Luca Sbisa, Nick Bonino and 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2014 Draft.

June 28, 2014: Traded a 2nd round pick in 2014 to the Los Angeles Kings for Linden Vey.

July 1, 2014: Signed Ryan Miller to a 3-year $18 million contract.

July 2, 2014: Signed Radim Vrbata to a 2-year, $10 million deal.

July 7, 2014: Named Doug Lidster assistant coach.

August 11, 2014: Named Perry Pearn assistant coach.

November 20, 2014: Traded Kellan Lain to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Will Acton.

November 25, 2014: Traded Alexandre Mallet and a 3rd round pick in 2016 to the New York Islanders in exchange for Andrey Pedan.

January 29, 2015: Traded Gustav Forsling to the Chicago Blackhawks for Adam Clendening.

February 12, 2015: Claimed Brandon McMillan off waivers from Arizona Coyotes.

February 23, 2015: Released Tom Sestito.

March 2, 2015: Traded a 2nd round pick in 2015 to the Calgary Flames in exchange for Sven Baertschi.

March 2, 2015: Traded Dustin Jeffrey to the New York Islanders in exchange for Cory Conacher.

June 27, 2015: Traded Eddie Lack to the Carolina Hurricanes for a 3rd and 7th round pick in the 2015 Entry Draft.

June 27, 2015: Traded Patrick McNally to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a 7th round pick in 2015.

June 30, 2015: Traded Kevin Bieksa to the Anaheim Ducks for a 2nd round pick in 2016.

July 1, 2015: Traded Zack Kassian and a 5th round pick in 2016 to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Brandon Prust.

July 1, 2015: Signed Matt Bartkowski to a 1-year, $1,750,000 contract.

July 3, 2015: Fired Assistant General Managers Lorne Henning and Laurence Gilman.

July 28, 2015: Traded Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a 2nd round pick in 2016 to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Brandon Sutter and a conditional 3rd round pick in 2016.

August 4, 2015: Named John Weisbrod as assistant GM, Chris Gear vice president and general counsel of Canucks Sports & Entertainment, Judd Brackett director of amateur scouting, Ryan Johnson assistant director of player development and Mike Addesa amateur scout.

August 26, 2015: Signed Adam Cracknell to a 1-year, $575,000 contract. Cracknell had signed on a tryout basis.

January 8, 2016: Traded Nicklas Jensen and a 7th round pick in 2017 to the New York Rangers for Emerson Etem.

January 12, 2016: Placed Chris Higgins on waivers.

January 19, 2016: Signed free agent Michael Zalewski to a 1-year, $575,000 contract.

February 2, 2016: Waived Brandon Prust

February 5, 2016: Waived Yannick Weber

February 22, 2016: Trades Hunter Shinkaruk to the Calgary Flames in exchange for Markus Granlund.

February 24, 2016: Canucks trade 5th pick in 2017 Draft to the Edmonton Oilers for D Philip Larsen.

May 25, 2016: Canucks trade Jared McCann and 33rd overall pick in 2017 for D Erik Gudbranson.

It's one thing to disagree with Benning`s moves and strategy. But to say he`s just playing it safe is ridiculously far from reality.

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's one thing to disagree with Benning`s moves and strategy. But to say he`s just playing it safe is ridiculously far from reality.

Exactly.

Benning has done a lot of moves. As you said, it's one thing to disagree with those moves. There are very few moves that me, Captain Hindsight, agrees with when it comes to what he has done. But sitting back and not doing anything is certainly not Benning's M.O. If anything, he has been one of the most active GM's.

That said, being active doesn't necessarily equate to "All moves are winners."

6 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

It's insane how much the reality of getting JP has changed in the last 2-3 months. Bringing it up after the TDL that JP might fall to us, everyone loses their mind and says it will never happen. Now its definitely starting to feel like a real possibility. We may not even have to trade for him actually, and IMO I hope we dont because personally I would love to keep the assets and I dont think he is SUSBSTANTIALLY better than PLD or MT like Mathews and Laine appear to be. Just my perspective of course. Friday cannot come soon enough.

Archived