The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, Alflives said:

There are 30 number one D, and a lot less Elite number one D.  How many elite number one D?  12-15?

Yes. Alf gets it. I don't know why people are trying to make it so complicated. I think they're trying to mix a defensemans position on a team with their skill level. They are different. 

1 minute ago, Crackers said:

Yes. Alf gets it. I don't know why people are trying to make it so complicated. I think they're trying to mix a defensemans position on a team with their skill level. They are different. 

What do I win?  I really don't like my nose - plastic surgery?  :lol:

1 minute ago, Crackers said:

Being on the first pair 'positionally' on a team does not mean you are a 1 or 2 D. It means you play first pair on your team. Crap team or otherwise.

Nobody else here is speaking 'positionally', we're speaking in regards to evaluation of player skill level. WHy are YOU complicating it?

Just now, J.R. said:

Being on the first pair 'positionally' on a team does not mean you are a 1 or 2 D. It means you play first pair on your team. Crap team or otherwise.

Nobody else here is speaking 'positionally', we're speaking in regards to evaluation of player skill level. WHy are YOU complicating it?

I guess that's where we disagree. Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

What?? So using your logic there is only one #1 d-man in the league? You're saying Keith isn't a #1 d because he'd be behind Karlsson if he went to Ottawa. That makes no sense. 

No, that is not my logic.  

I understand that there is statistically 30 #1 Ds in the league. the term #1 defenseman refers to the very best of those guys.  The guys like keith, karlsson, subban, weber.  People on this forum use that term to describe those kind of guys.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think the what if was, the idea that Edmonton was also looking to trade down with MTL, who would likely had a good offer to move up and grab Dubois at number 4.

Totally looks like a Hall for Subban fell through...

Anyway, I'm editing because I'm in the wrong thread.

EDIT : I'm happy with this 'safe pick' in Juolevi,

Edited by Western Red

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

There are 30 number one D, and a lot less Elite number one D.  How many elite number one D?  12-15?

I think you're getting at the right wording Alf! Like how there are by default 30 number one centremen in the NHL.

Us fans typically use "elite #1 centre" to differentiate between a default #1 centre and someone who is much much better, like a Jonathan Toews vs Travis Zajac kinda deal.

Benning seems to use "true #1 defenseman" to differentiate between a normal, default #1 or top pairing defenseman and someone is a significant talent and one of the league's best, like a Duncan Keith vs Andrej Sekera kinda deal.

Semantics aside, Juolevi's floor is pretty much top-pairing right? With the potential to be a true #1

Edited by Blömqvist

5 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I think you're getting at the right wording Alf! Like how there are by default 30 number one centremen in the NHL.

Us fans typically use "elite #1 centre" to differentiate between a default #1 centre and someone who is much much better, like a Jonathan Toews vs Travis Zajac kinda deal.

Benning seems to use "true #1 defenseman" to differentiate between a normal, default #1 or top pairing defenseman and someone is a significant talent and one of the league's best, like a Duncan Keith vs Andrej Sekera kinda deal.

Semantics aside, Juolevi's floor is pretty much top-pairing right? With the potential to be a true #1

Yup.  The kids going to be in our top pair for the next 12 years.  

I see see you have Ohlund as you little picture guy.  If our new Olli can be as good as our old Olli, we have a beauty.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see see you have Ohlund as you little picture guy.  If our new Olli can be as good as our old Olli, we have a beauty.  

Ohlund was a physical beast. I remember when I was young I wanted to play hockey like him stylistically, but mind you I was little skinny kid so that didn't work out so well for me hahaha

When he moved to Tampa Bay I remember watching one of their games against Toronto on TV and I had a big "HOLY S***" moment. Such a warrior, he did that at the tail end of his career with all the knee injuries too!

Our new Olli very likely won't be a physical beast, but he'll be a real beauty like the old Olli

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Crackers said:

I guess that's where we disagree. Fair enough. 

I think the top 30  defenders in the league should be regarded as #1s or potential #1s. Some of these would be considered elite. Number 2 guys should be 31-60.  But I guess it is just semantics.

There's a lot of talk on here about Juolevi's potential. So I thought I would compile a list of the first defenders to go in past NHL drafts to get a better picture of what type of defenders get selected and the type of careers they go on to have. I decided to include the first four because this year there wasn't really a consensus number 1 defender and because Juolevi was a 5th overall pick similar to some defenders who were the 2nd defender picked in their draft year. Thus I would argue it's relevant to not only look at the defenders picked first but also those selected 2nd, 3rd or 4th in their draft year. 

Here are the first 4 D-men 2000-2010 Drafts:

1st: Kelsa (654), Komisarek (551), Bouwmeester (980), Suter (815), Barker (310), J. Johnson (629), E. Johnson (514), Hickey (245), Doughty (588), Hedman (455), Gudbranson (299)

2nd: Jonsson (8), Hamhuis (853), Pitkanen (535), Coburn (682), Smid (583), Lee (209), Wishart (26), Alzner (492), Bogosian (463), Ekman-Larsson (405), McIlrath (33)

3rd: Hainsey (819), Knyazev (0), Whitney (481), Phaneuf (812), Valabik (80), Bourdon (36*), Mitera (0), Ellerby (212), Pietrangelo (443), Cowen (249), Fowler (396)

4th: Orpik (806), Colaiacovo (461), Ballard (605), Seabrook (829), Thelen (0), Staal (602), Fischer (0), McDonagh (376), Schenn (548), Ellis (267), Gormely (58)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ohlund was a fantastic player and tough as nails. I don't see Joulefty being as physical but can hopefully impact the game all the same 

51 minutes ago, C.Schneider said:

Looks like this will be JB's best draft pick in his Canucks' history.  

People still complaining about this pick can go stuff their behind with meat and potaters.

For the sake for the team of course ,I will like to see him draft other stars too.

i am getting s more Ryan suter vibe from Juolevi.  All poise nothing flashy type of dman.