The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 04/09/2016 at 6:58 PM, Blömqvist said:

I feel slow for bringing this up cuz it was last week's news, but any idea where Sergachev is ranked on this list? Just for giggles lol

Sergachev is #38. He has Fabbro (#21), Bean (#23), Chabot (#26), Chychrun (#32) and Theodore (#34) ahead of him.

But Boeser's #40. So who knows

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, greetingsfrombrazil said:

Sergachev is #38. He has Fabbro (#21), Bean (#23), Chabot (#26), Chychrun (#32) and Theodore (#34) ahead of him.

But Boeser's #40. So who knows

Ohhhhhhh interesting interesting.... especially Theodore's and Boeser's rankings.

15 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Ohhhhhhh interesting interesting.... especially Theodore's and Boeser's rankings.

it seems like whomever wrote the article (I assume you're referring to one as I have not seen the post you guys are talking about), started watching junior hockey last year lol, and thus ranked this most recent draft higher. How anyone could rank Sergachev  and Chychrun (who look good) so close and above (respectively) Theodore. is absurd. Theodore has played in the AHL and played extremely well, in the NHL and looked to be a stud in his 8-10 games or whatever he's played (I watch alot of Ducks games), he is as talented or more than those two (including ceiling).

Edited by Nuckles80
  • Upvote 1

I gotta say my initial thought on the pick was wrong.

I'm glad we selected Juolevi, and I think the idea of trading down looking back at it now is preposterous because Juolevi is totally worth of a #5 selection.

He was thought of early on in the year as an offensive defenseman, and he showed the impact he can bring at the World Junior, while he didn't show it as much early on in London just look at his playoff run and his memorial cup, another couple of big stages that came through in all areas of the ice for his team.

He has the ability to play his best hockey when you need him too, so does Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser seems capable of being a consistent force aswell, and Hutton is the same way always cool. I like these are the types of character guys we are building around.

Honestly for all the flak I've given Benning and Linden. I actually like them alot right now, I think they have a good vision for this team, especially Jim Benning in how he wants this team to play, then Linden kinda is at the helm and he adds that character element and some of his personal beliefs as a natural leader.

I earlier on and at first they badly misjudged some things, in part from knowing how ownership wanted to go it influenced some of the decision making perhaps and stuff and some of their other judgement are off as far as some trades maybe.

But I think now if Lindeninning can just do it there way and if Benning can really just have his vision be the course followed (with other input of course) we will be in good hands going forward.

We don't have the star power of McDavid (Even though I think we have mulitple future stars in our own right) but we have an intangible edge to us and some special talents. That could allow us to compete and be a contender in the West one day I think. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I gotta say my initial thought on the pick was wrong.

I'm glad we selected Juolevi, and I think the idea of trading down looking back at it now is preposterous because Juolevi is totally worth of a #5 selection.

He was thought of early on in the year as an offensive defenseman, and he showed the impact he can bring at the World Junior, while he didn't show it as much early on in London just look at his playoff run and his memorial cup, another couple of big stages that came through in all areas of the ice for his team.

He has the ability to play his best hockey when you need him too, so does Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser seems capable of being a consistent force aswell, and Hutton is the same way always cool. I like these are the types of character guys we are building around.

Honestly for all the flak I've given Benning and Linden. I actually like them alot right now, I think they have a good vision for this team, especially Jim Benning in how he wants this team to play, then Linden kinda is at the helm and he adds that character element and some of his personal beliefs as a natural leader.

I earlier on and at first they badly misjudged some things, in part from knowing how ownership wanted to go it influenced some of the decision making perhaps and stuff and some of their other judgement are off as far as some trades maybe.

But I think now if Lindeninning can just do it there way and if Benning can really just have his vision be the course followed (with other input of course) we will be in good hands going forward.

We don't have the star power of McDavid (Even though I think we have mulitple future stars in our own right) but we have an intangible edge to us and some special talents. That could allow us to compete and be a contender in the West one day I think. 

In my opinion, I think Lindenning (are we actually combining them now? lol) are banking heavily into different aspects of rebuilding a team. We don't have the star power that comes at the top of the draft, but compared to the teams that do (think Edmonton, Bufallo, and Toronto's upcoming team), we might be in a better position to find consistent success. 

I dunno, to me it seems like Edmonton, Bufallo, and Toronto are building a team of stars, especially if you look at Edmonton. Maybe their philosophy was to gain talent and let your star dominate the game, but unless that star is a Crosby or Ovechkin that philosophy might not work out, hence the 2nd rebuild of Edmonton.

Looking at the Canucks, Lindenning seem to be investing heavily into player drafting, player development, and player transitioning. Benning and co have found gems late and in the later rounds of drafts. They've let them develop in their respective leagues, but even then the Canucks will hire consultants to help develop players even more (think Melanson and Cloutier, and most recently Malhotra). The Canucks have also kept a leadership group and gotten other key players that can grow with the new core and provide mentorship but also give immediate help so as to not throw the young players into lions den (think Sutter and Gudbranson). Team cohesiveness and transitioning players into specific roles seems like what Lindenning are going after.

I'm sure eventually we'll get a legit stud (if we don't have one on our hands already), but I really like what Lindenning are doing. I mean, even if we did go the traditional "tank" route it doesn't necessarily guarantee the 1st overall pick and even then the player that you get could bust or the team you get afterwards would still just suck despite the star power (cough Edmonton cough). 

• Upvote 2

On 9/7/2016 at 3:12 PM, Blömqvist said:

In my opinion, I think Lindenning (are we actually combining them now? lol) are banking heavily into different aspects of rebuilding a team. We don't have the star power that comes at the top of the draft, but compared to the teams that do (think Edmonton, Bufallo, and Toronto's upcoming team), we might be in a better position to find consistent success. 

I dunno, to me it seems like Edmonton, Bufallo, and Toronto are building a team of stars, especially if you look at Edmonton. Maybe their philosophy was to gain talent and let your star dominate the game, but unless that star is a Crosby or Ovechkin that philosophy might not work out, hence the 2nd rebuild of Edmonton.

Looking at the Canucks, Lindenning seem to be investing heavily into player drafting, player development, and player transitioning. Benning and co have found gems late and in the later rounds of drafts. They've let them develop in their respective leagues, but even then the Canucks will hire consultants to help develop players even more (think Melanson and Cloutier, and most recently Malhotra). The Canucks have also kept a leadership group and gotten other key players that can grow with the new core and provide mentorship but also give immediate help so as to not throw the young players into lions den (think Sutter and Gudbranson). Team cohesiveness and transitioning players into specific roles seems like what Lindenning are going after.

I'm sure eventually we'll get a legit stud (if we don't have one on our hands already), but I really like what Lindenning are doing. I mean, even if we did go the traditional "tank" route it doesn't necessarily guarantee the 1st overall pick and even then the player that you get could bust or the team you get afterwards would still just suck despite the star power (cough Edmonton cough). 

U can draft top talent and doing so is great, but I think development is such a big part, just as big if not more so than natural ability. And I agree with you about Lindenning taking a different approach. And I think its for the good aswell.

We 100% undeniably have guys that are capable of being front line players if developed right, Horvat and Hutton especially have already taken such strides and are great examples, when they were drafted most thought of as secondary players but I definitely think both have 1st line/1st pairing potential right now.

(Note in Hutton's case I said first pairing, not that he will be a franchise defenseman, I just don't anyone to read that wrong and get carried away in a response :P)

I honestly think Horvat will score 70 points once in his career. Atleast. 

I think Boeser aswell could be one of the better shooters in the league in his prime. And he could have multiple 30 goals seasons in his career.

And Juolevi (who compares himself to OEL) I think doesn't get the full credit he deserves for his potential upside, he's shown he can control games in every area including offensively. He's not just a safe defense first guy he can do it all. 

Physically he's not as far along as some other guys in his draft class which is why I think that is why he doesn't get the credit, but he will get stronger. With his frame & All-around ability to make plays he will make a great top pair NHL defenseman.

And I think his style of game also translates the best out of the 1st round defenseman, if he was 200+ pounds like the others he could probably step in, play a full year and contribute to the team right now. Skill wise he probably already wouldn't look out of place.

Then u factor in Demko and his potential, that alone is something that Edmonton doesn't have a potential elite goalie. Even Calgary (and I know alot of poeple are high on Gillies for good reason) I don't think has anyone with quite the same pedigree as Demko at this stage.

I know I'm being optimistic but I don't think I'm being unrealistic either.

As for the 'Lindenning' thing. :lol: Me and a good buddy of mine (both die hards) we always text about the Nucks & we always refer to the managment group as 'Lindenning' for short lol. So its just out of habit. ::D

Edited by Smashian Kassian

On 9/8/2016 at 6:36 AM, MJDDawg said:

Thinking back to the World Juniors,  Laine and Puljujarvi got all the attention. And rightly so.

But if you were to watch it again,  and I've watched it two or three times, you'd see that almost without exception, it was Juolevi that stripped someone of the puck or got quickly past the forecheckers to start the play up the ice and make that perfect first pass to Laine or Puljujarvi, usually hitting them in stride.

Yes he scored,  but it's that uncanny almost Letang like ability to come up with the puck in his own end then move it out quickly that I noticed most. 

Can't wait to see him in camp.

And to add, its things like that, and players like that, that u need to have in order to win hockey games in the playoffs.