The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

Of course he is he has 1 more year of development than juolevi... 

Of course he is he has 1 more year of development than juolevi...

Don't get me wrong, I like Juolevi a lot but I take 2015 Provorov over 2016 Juolevi without much struggle.   

Juolevi by age 18.07

OHL: 9G 33A 57GP

Playoffs: 3G 11A 18GP

WJC: 9A 7GP

Mem Cup: 7A 4GP

Provorov by age 19.38

WHL: 21G 52A 62GP

Playoffs: 3G 10A 21GP

WJC: 8A 7GP

Mem Cup: 2A 3GP

------------------

Provorov age 18.25

WHL: 15G 46A 60GP

Playoffs: 2G 11A 19GP

WJC: 1A 7GP

Mem Cup: DNQ

As you can see from basic scoring stats Juolevi has the better numbers at a younger age. Goal totals are not close as Provorov is a very good shooter, but Juolevi has a lot of room to grow in that area of the game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

Juolevi by age 18.07

Provorov by age 19.38

------------------

Provorov age 18.25

As you can see from basic scoring stats Juolevi has the better numbers at a younger age. Goal totals are not close as Provorov is a very good shooter, but Juolevi has a lot of room to grow in that area of the game.

so OJ in his 18 year has 5 less points in regular seasons (3 less in playoffs) to Provorov's 19th year. The part that stands out too me is when the going gets tough and stuff is on the line OJ's stats skyrocket and even exceed that of Provorov which is very exciting.  We have one heck of a special player in OJ> 

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

so OJ in his 18 year has 5 less points in regular seasons (3 less in playoffs) to Provorov's 19th year. The part that stands out too me is when the going gets tough and stuff is on the line OJ's stats skyrocket and even exceed that of Provorov which is very exciting.  We have one heck of a special player in OJ> 

You're looking at games played...

• Upvote 1

I would guess pronman prefers olli's steady intelligent approach to provorov's higher risk style. Both fantastic players. 

The fact we have a guy being measured against provorov as one of the best junior defensemen in the world is incredible

for the orgs future. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

As good as juolevi is I still think provorov is a slightly better prospect at this point. He has been tearing up the WHL for two years now and drives the offence as good as any defencemen in the CHL. We will have to see how juolevi follows up last years performances though.

What about Provorov's lack of defensive understanding?  Offensively, yes he's very good, but should we not factor in defending too?

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about Provorov's lack of defensive understanding?  Offensively, yes he's very good, but should we not factor in defending too?

Provorov is actually very solid defensively and has very few holes in his game except for maybe physicality. I believe his +\- for the last two years are very good as well.

I hope Juolevi can add an element of physical play to his game. I know he doesn't play that way now, but I think as he adds some weight to his frame he may discover he can play that way when he needs to.

I remember Edler early on wasn't a very physical player, until Ohlund took him under his wing. Then he seemed to almost model his game after him. Maybe some of Gudbranson's game can rub off on Olli a bit.

It doesn't matter if he doesn't, it would just be nice if he can learn to play that way for when we go against the big teams in the pacific. Sometimes a big bodycheck here and there is necessary.

Anyone know what weight Edler was listed at when he was drafted? Just curious.

20 hours ago, Derp... said:

Juolevi by age 18.07

Provorov by age 19.38

------------------

Provorov age 18.25

Yep my thoughts exactly. Prov is a better shooter but other then that I think I like Juolevis game better. 

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I hope Juolevi can add an element of physical play to his game. I know he doesn't play that way now, but I think as he adds some weight to his frame he may discover he can play that way when he needs to.

I remember Edler early on wasn't a very physical player, until Ohlund took him under his wing. Then he seemed to almost model his game after him. Maybe some of Gudbranson's game can rub off on Olli a bit.

It doesn't matter if he doesn't, it would just be nice if he can learn to play that way for when we go against the big teams in the pacific. Sometimes a big bodycheck here and there is necessary.

I don't think Juolevi will ever scare his opponents but he doesn't shy away from contact at all. He's too smart to get hit often anyways.

26 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I don't think Juolevi will ever scare his opponents but he doesn't shy away from contact at all. He's too smart to get hit often anyways.

Opponents were never exactly scared of Edler when he played physical either, but they knew he could put them on their butts if they tried to cut around him.

Edited by DeNiro

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I could only find him listed at 6'3 201, He is currently billed at 215 and 216 on a couple reputable sites.

On 2 September 2016 at 8:39 AM, DeNiro said:

Physical?  Why force it.

He could end up playing the defensive side of the game lIke Lidstrom?  Ok let's tone that down. Like Tanev???

But add substantial ability to control the offensive corridor from the point.  With a crafty shot and a willingness to rush the puck.

Plus we will have Tryamkin, Gudbranson, possibly Pedan and maybe even Brisbois for the physical side. If OJ adds the big hit to his game I'll be excited. And he'll at least be big enough to hold his own jousting with forwards in front of our net. I'm not holding my breath for more....

On 8/26/2016 at 11:13 AM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

As long as we keep Hutton and Tanev, I think Edler should be moved for a young forward with potential if we could swing that deal. I know we won't get a top 3 guy under the age of 25... But maybe a top 6-9 player that has potential to be a game changer 3-4 years down the road.

Unless we have a surprising year we should be able to land a decent forward in 2017 with a #5-10 pick.

I agree, but we should wait until the trade deadline to see how Tryamkin is coming along. If he shows he's the real deal and if Pedan can show he can provide depth, Edler becomes redundant and a valuable trade chip

Edited by Nuckles80
  • Upvote 1