The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Points aren't the issue, ice time and deployment are.  Some people will do and say whatever it takes to defend our prospects, Virtanen was defended with a long list of excuses and now all of those people who defended him are starting to look foolish.

Or expectations.  When they said that power forwards often take longer to develop than some others, people just disregard that and start going off on Jakes troubles.  He's only 20.

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Virtanen was playing in junior on the 2nd and 3rd line, and he was their best prospect at the time. I don't think he ever played on the first line. He was also never used on the first PP unit, always the second. People would see Virtanen's floating and coasting problems which he had in junior and quickly blamed the coach for the way he was being used, let alone his minutes. Virtanen STILL has these issues, and now it's clear that it was never a coaching problem. 

Point is, coaches will play the players they can trust. There's gotta be a reason why Juolevi isn't getting his minutes. People are quick to blame the coach whenever a problem arises, much like here in Vancouver. Hell Juolevi isn't even London's top minute munching defensemen. 

Appatently Travis Green has taken Jake into the video room and shown him exactly this and told him that he has to move his feet.  It's a bad habit and will take time to break but I've heard his fitness is improving and he's doing what he's told and getting better.  As of now he's 4-2-6  -2 in 17 games.

There's a TG interview out there.  He speaks well of the prospects but not glowingly.

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Yep and when Virtanen struggled in Calgary it was the coaches fault as well.  Blah blah blah

Can always count on the 5th line to point out all the negatives.  Do you really not think Juolevi is a good prospect.. Or are you smelling some negativity and wanted to join the fun. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Points aren't the issue, ice time and deployment are.  Some people will do and say whatever it takes to defend our prospects, Virtanen was defended with a long list of excuses and now all of those people who defended him are starting to look foolish.

And you will say whatever it takes to run them down. I'm sure you've been following Virtanen closely in Utica though. Thanks for all of the valuable insight. You're the smartest, most interesting poster on this forum. Are you flexing in the mirror with your shirt off?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Stamkos only had 6 points in his last WJC....6 points in 7 games.

Bust.

OMG Lidstrom only had 6 points in 7 games in his last WJC....bust

Did I do that right?

You sure did. People are starting to get annoying in this thread. Juolevi is our best prospect and wasn't a reach at #5. He won the WJC and was the best dman last year and won the memorial cup. This season he has been "just good" and his WJC team blows. What do you expect? He's about 2 years away from the NHL and then he will be a fixture on the blue line for 10 years. If you wanted Tkatchuk that's fine but it's way to early to say who was the best pick. I honestly had Tkatchuk before Juolevi as well but had Juolevi at #6 so I was good with the pick. The impatience is unreal around here. 

Edited by messier's_elbow
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, two drink minimum said:

I'm starting to feel that JB goofed when he passed on MT at #5. I still like Jake over Ehlers or Nylander if he develops into a top 6 forward. I've always felt that Finnish players tend to leave something to be desired at the NHL level. Forwards more so than d but overall they seem to have mildish careers

Really? What about:

Rk Born   Name Pos GP G A P PIM +/- PPG SHG GWG G/GP A/GP P/GP
1 1970 FI Teemu Selänne F 1451 684 773 1457 660 95 255 7 110 0.471 0.533 1.004
2 1960 FI Jari Kurri F 1251 601 797 1398 545 298 155 39 72 0.480 0.637 1.118
3 1974 FI Saku Koivu F 1124 255 577 832 809 10 79 11 46 0.227 0.513 0.740
4 1978 FI Olli Jokinen F 1231 321 429 750 1071 -132 97 13 54 0.261 0.348 0.609

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay there you go throwing words like "terrible" and "bust" out there for some reason.   Yep i'm tearing him down with no real reason..  it's not like a former 5th overall pick should be a go to guy in the last minute of a 2-1 game or anything, a 5th overall pick definitely should be getting outplayed, outscored and out used in London by a player who was drafted in the same year but 95 spots behind him.

I should be excited for another soft spoken European player who won't be physical or drive the play.  But his good manners and dashing good looks will be great for the City of Vancouver.  Yay.

I'm only half serious but for the love of god can we please have a prospect turn out and be something special?  Don't blame or judge me for being pessimistic

Your concerns are valid but stop acting like being a soft spoken European is a bad thing. It isn't.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

A team should always take the BPA.  The player can always be traded later to fill a specific need.  

Alf, if you were to run a team it would end up like the Doug Maclean Columbus Blue Jackets, probably even worse.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

OJ is a good top 4 defensemen. good at everything but great at nothing. and he doesn't have the physical edge and dynamic aspect to his play. 

OJ, if you know what to look for, is outstanding at reading the play. His hockey IQ is far ahead of most D man his age. He is not going to be a monsters hitter, but his positioning and stick work are what make him a excellent defender. If people really watch him closely he really does drive the play with smart first passing and knowing when to rush the puck up the ice. Like all players he has to work on his play to reach the NHL, but his understanding of the game is a star in the making if he gets the right mentoring and coaching. 

People need to stop stat watching and looking for highlight hits with this kid he has something that only come naturally and that's reading the play a step ahead of his peers.

Too bad he was not developing with the Sedins when they were younger, because he is exactly the D man they needed to complement their game. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

Comparing Juolevi to Tkachuk is silly. They don't even play the same position, let alone style and role.

The comparison is going to happen their whole career around here. Tkachuk has the the style of game that the average fan eats up, Juolevi has a style of game only the fine eye can appreciate. Tkachuk will more than likely be a 40 to 70 point forward that annoys other players. Juolevi should turnout to be an all situation leader that will put up 30 to 50 points a year. Have to wait and see anything could happen both could be bust (highly unlikely).

You Know most people only care that tkachuk is producing in the NHL now and Juolevi is still only in the CHL.

Edited by vancan2233
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

Alf, if you were to run a team it would end up like the Doug Maclean Columbus Blue Jackets, probably even worse.

You do know that Columbus is the best team in the NHL right now? Nevermind I get it Doug Maclean.

Edited by vancan2233

On 12/26/2016 at 8:18 AM, messier's_elbow said:

So you think Juolevi was a bad pick at 5? When your wrong in 3 years can I say I told you so?

Absolutely,

Just remember that whether he becomes a regular NHL player is beside the point, it's whether he was the right pick for the Canucks at #5 in the year he was chosen

for that to happen he would need to have greater TANGIBLE  impact on the Canucks moving towards cup contention than any other player that should have reasonably been on their radar, including the guy the Jackets mugged us for

If he becomes a star and the other are meh, you win and the reverse applies as well.

My gut forces a  #4 defenseman 15-25 pts 25 PIM 18:00-20:00 TOI a decent but unspectacular, #5-6 on a really good team I do not see this guy as the 2nd coming of Mathias Ohlund and I definitley think time will show the pick could have been better spent in a number of different places.

• Upvote 2