The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 1/11/2017 at 3:53 PM, J.R. said:

More NHL ready/ready body but lower ceiling.

I wouldn't.

Me either. I might be convinced to go Sergachev after the WJs (even if he wasn't dominant I think he showed more than Juolevi and certainly Bean) but I wouldn't rush to look at McAvoy that high in the draft.

Even as suitup covered in response to your later post, McAvoy may have some strong suits but he seems to be second best to each player (Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun) in their area of strength. He may have a strong, well-rounded game, but might not surpass any of them at the top end. Of course, each of them might not make their top end and struggle as a result, where McAvoy could excel purely on his all around strengths.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:38 PM, Squamfan said:

thachuk got a goal meanwhile ollie is in the oho

OK, that makes slightly more sense, but clearly isn't any more intelligent of a comment - starting your weekend early with several brews?

Edited by elvis15

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Me either. I might be convinced to go Sergachev after the WJs (even if he wasn't dominant I think he showed more than Juolevi and certainly Bean) but I wouldn't rush to look at McAvoy that high in the draft.

Even as suitup covered in response to your later post, McAvoy may have some strong suits but he seems to be second best to each player (Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun) in their area of strength. He may have a strong, well-rounded game, but might not surpass any of them at the top end. Of course, each of them might not make their top end and struggle as a result, where McAvoy could excel purely on his all around strengths.

That's my assessment as well. Good player, love to have him. Doesn't have as high of a ceiling. 

7 hours ago, elvis15 said:

OK, that makes slightly more sense, but clearly isn't any more intelligent of a comment - starting your weekend early with several brews?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

That's my assessment as well. Good player, love to have him. Doesn't have as high of a ceiling. 

But high Ceiling isn't based on being elite in one area if that was the case Megna and his speed would make him a star.

Subban may be more offensively gifted than Weber but Weber's all around game makes him a more valuable player. 

What area is Petroangelo elite in?  What about Hedman? OEL? Suter? Giordano?  These D all have one thing in common, they are work horses that can play in all zones, just like McAvoy.  None of them are going to dangle and score highlight real goals but they all have strong enough all around games to be difference makers. 

Right now all of the top D in the 2016 draft project to be a top 2, D pairing in the league and I would say McAvoy fits right into that projection. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Except we know the dangers of basing anything off of a single 10 day tournament as Canucks fans all to well.

• Upvote 2

On 1/12/2017 at 1:19 AM, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Okay and who would be your #1D in a couple years? That's what I thought. Forwards are easier to get than defenseman.

We have a Tkachuk in Virtanen albeit Tkachuk is better right now but JV has that potential.

lol, are you calling Juolevi a No. 1 D in a few years? Define "few"

I think it might be stretching it for him to be getting 18-20 minutes a night in the NHL in a few years. 

He's a decent prospect, but I don't see Juolevi being much more than a No. 3 defenceman, and I think that's about five years away. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Jagr scored a goal and assist the other day and where is Nedved?

Retired....

:picard:

Not even comparable. If you've ever heard Burke talk about the '89 draft, he says, everyone knew that Jagr was a generational talent and by far the best player in the draft. But because there was so much political uncertainty around if they could get him out of Czechoslovakia teams passed. A lot of Gms were surprised he even went in the first round because no one thought they could get him out of Czechoslovakia.  

Another great Jagr story from Burke, Burke asked him if he'd ever been a Captain or Assistant Captain. Jagr said No, which is generally a real big red flag with a player because you'd think elite talents such as Jagr would have been a Captain at some point. Burke asked why? Jagr replied, I've always played with kids 4 ond 5 years older than me, so they served as the Captain. And...that's a pretty good reason. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Not even comparable. If you've ever heard Burke talk about the '89 draft, he says, everyone knew that Jagr was a generational talent and by far the best player in the draft. But because there was so much political uncertainty around if they could get him out of Czechoslovakia teams passed. A lot of Gms were surprised he even went in the first round because no one thought they could get him out of Czechoslovakia.  

Another great Jagr story from Burke, Burke asked him if he'd ever been a Captain or Assistant Captain. Jagr said No, which is generally a real big red flag with a player because you'd think elite talents such as Jagr would have been a Captain at some point. Burke asked why? Jagr replied, I've always played with kids 4 ond 5 years older than me, so they served as the Captain. And...that's a pretty good reason. 

It's actually very apt.  We drafted player Y but omg look at player X

We could have had Jagr, Karlsson, Sakic, Kopitar, Larkin, Nylander, Ehlers, Keith etc etc etc.

Squams posting of Matthews scored a goal, where's OJ only highlights the point I've been posting the last few weeks about people wanting instant gratification.

Hindsight is always 20/20

41 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

What are you saying? Why are you bringing up Kopitar?

You must be a fanboy of OJ. I don't think he will be a bad player but we need more top 6 help as well. OJ will NOT be the top pair dman as advertised. 

Tkachuk will NOT be the top 6 player he was advertised as.

See how that goes?

We currently HAVE top 6 showing potential forward prospects.  What we don't have is top 4 or even better top 2 potential showing D prospects.  We can draft or trade for those forwards far easier than we can defensemen.

That's not being a fan boy that's being factual ya muppet

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See how that goes?

We currently HAVE top 6 showing potential forward prospects.  What we don't have is top 4 or even better top 2 potential showing D prospects.  We can draft or trade for those forwards far easier than we can defensemen.

Isn't Tkatchuk already producing, and impacting games, like a top six forward?  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Exactly,

I have seen so many people here complain about that draft and how we 'missed' on Jagr. I remember that draft as I was AT it at BC place and was a young kid. I also recall as you mentioned, that EVERY team had Jagr is the best player and sure fire #1 if they knew they could get him out. No one knew they could and even Pittsburgh who drafted him did not know but they did have political connections (somehow) via Ivan Lendl the famous Czech tennis player - he was a key part of getting Jagr out.

No one 'missed' on Jagr in the 4 picks prior they just didn't want to take the risk of drafting a player that high that they may get to the NHL or may not EVER, especially given the quality of players in and around him. All of the top 5 had strong NHL careers even Nedved.

1 minute ago, HotDogHorvat said:

Exactly,

I have seen so many people here complain about that draft and how we 'missed' on Jagr. I remember that draft as I was AT it at BC place and was a young kid. I also recall as you mentioned, that EVERY team had Jagr is the best player and sure fire #1 if they knew they could get him out. No one knew they could and even Pittsburgh who drafted him did not know but they did have political connections (somehow) via Ivan Lendl the famous Czech tennis player - he was a key part of getting Jagr out.

No one 'missed' on Jagr in the 4 picks prior they just didn't want to take the risk of drafting a player that high that they may get to the NHL or may not EVER, especially given the quality of players in and around him. All of the top 5 had strong NHL careers even Nedved.

If we have Jagr, I'm pretty sure we win the .Cup in '94.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we have Jagr, I'm pretty sure we win the .Cup in '94.  

Yes of course but we didn't 'miss' is the point - reality was no one knew they could EVER get him out of the Czech republic - unless one could have predicted the fall of the soviet union (which controlled czech) and had political clout in eastern europe at the time

So making such comments as a 'snipe' against the canucks drafting is idiotic

And clearly the fact he FELL to FIVE should tell people something given he was considered a unanimous generational talent (which he lived up to)

Edited by HotDogHorvat
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See how that goes?

@Warhippy he's messing with you and you're taking the bait. Make some coffee, relax, and laugh a little my friend.