The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 2016-12-30 at 1:54 PM, Zoolander said:

How is OJ a disappointment? He's captaining a country at the WJC. Not his fault the goalie is a siv and the young offense can't find chemistry.

Also, Virtanen is worth the investment. Ehlers and Nylander can put up all the points in the world, but if Virtanen catches them with their head down it's game over. 

Seriously? Ehlers and Nylander can put up all the points in the world but Virtanen can hit so it's all good? And you say this in a time when we're so void of young elite skill?

Man, the Boston series really scarred some of us... 

39 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Seriously? Ehlers and Nylander can put up all the points in the world but Virtanen can hit so it's all good? And you say this in a time when we're so void of young elite skill?

Man, the Boston series really scarred some of us... 

Sorry Guys, where are we again?

The Virtanen fan club is over there.  Go hate on him over there while we discuss Juolevi :lol:

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

/Cam Robinson/ ‏@CrazyJoeDavola3  2m2 minutes ago

Olli Juolevi has improved his point pace from 0.74 to 0.87 while receiving majority of tough minutes in London. He's coming along #Canucks

Wow, that's really great to hear. From a defenseman no less. Would be interesting to see how he does next year in the OHL as well. 

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

According to CDC, that's disappointing.

Needs to be 2 PPG in juniors and 3 PPG in the AHL in order to not be a bust. Then when he makes it to the NHL he'll need to score 50 goals not per season, but per game. We also need him to be a team player, so that should translate to about 100 assists per game as well. Need to get that goals to assist ratio right. Then we need him to get a shutout every single game, not as a goalie, but as a defenseman. We can't shelter this kid, so he's got to play all 60 minutes per game and 65 including OT. 

No pressure kid. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, suitup said:

Needs to be 2 PPG in juniors and 3 PPG in the AHL in order to not be a bust. Then when he makes it to the NHL he'll need to score 50 goals not per season, but per game. We also need him to be a team player, so that should translate to about 100 assists per game as well. Need to get that goals to assist ratio right. Then we need him to get a shutout every single game, not as a goalie, but as a defenseman. We can't shelter this kid, so he's got to play all 60 minutes per game and 65 including OT. 

No pressure kid. 

Yes, just like Bobby Orr!  ::D

7 minutes ago, suitup said:

No pressure kid. 

If he can do that, and bring back the Grizzlies and single handedly win the NBA Finals I will be impressed.  Until then, totally a bust.

Corey Pronman says he's having a really good season, just not putting up lots of points due to tough match ups and playing a lot of minutes in the defensive zone and playing more than anyone.

He says that he has a great pro style game and should be able to make the jump to the NHL in 1-2 years (17-18/18-19). He sounded disappointed that he can't be sent to Utica next season as he sees no point in him going back to junior but thinks a season in the AHL would be better than Junior or NHL.

4 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Corey Pronman says he's having a really good season, just not putting up lots of points due to tough match ups and playing a lot of minutes in the defensive zone and playing more than anyone.

He says that he has a great pro style game and should be able to make the jump to the NHL in 1-2 years (17-18/18-19). He sounded disappointed that he can't be sent to Utica next season as he sees no point in him going back to junior but thinks a season in the AHL would be better than Junior or NHL.

Same with Jake last year I think. The NHL should really add an exemption rule. Its a tough blow to the CHL teams but its whats best for the players I think.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, shayster007 said:

100% incorrect. Pre draft Benning said he had 4 forwards and 1 defensemen in his top 5. Clearly he had Oli exactly where he took him in the possibility that PLD was no longer available when he was picking. 

Linden has also said he talked with Benning well before the draft figuring that Dubois wasn't going to fall to them.  JB repeatedly said they had a top six with a defenceman in there, and Tkachuk has said that Vancouver didn't ever seem very interested in him.  Put it all together, and Ollie was their guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Same with Jake last year I think. The NHL should really add an exemption rule. Its a tough blow to the CHL teams but its whats best for the players I think.

It's CHL greed. It's archaic and dumb, what would the CHL do if the NHL took that rule out? Not allow CHLers to be drafted? Then there would be less interest, more players would go to college or other pro leagues. Even if players wanted to play in the CHL at age 20 they would be a free agent. Would be interesting though to get high end players for nothing.

47 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

This Tkachuk/Juolevi thing kind of reminds me of the Bo/Nichushkin thing.

Everyone thought Dallas made out better because Nichushkin was in the NHL and Bo got sent back. Now look, Bo is better and still in the league. 

Just because you send a prospect back to junior doesn't mean he's is as good or better than a prospect who made it to the NHL sooner.

But Bo is way better than Juolevi

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

It's CHL greed. It's archaic and dumb, what would the CHL do if the NHL took that rule out? Not allow CHLers to be drafted? Then there would be less interest, more players would go to college or other pro leagues. Even if players wanted to play in the CHL at age 20 they would be a free agent. Would be interesting though to get high end players for nothing.

Just make a rule, every NHL team get's 1 exemption. You can have it managed somehow, but in certain cases it can be a detriment to players development and for the league you want these talented guys succeeding. 

You could maybe make it first round picks only even. Or have it where if you exempt a player you have to wait another year before you can do it again, so you its like 1 for every 2 years in a way. Idk. I'm sure they could come up with something.

1 hour ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

But Bo is way better than Juolevi

I agree in some sense, but Juolevi I think is going to be really good, I don't know if 'way better' is the wording I would use to describe it but.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Taking it out would destroy the chl and Canadian hockey. It's the premier junior league on the planet because the competition level is so high. A guy like Tate Olson doesn't stand a chance if you rip all the Barzal's out of the league. What would have been the point of even leaving Cassels down if he wasn't going to shut down mcdavid? The talent would likely spread into the BCHL and NCAA because major junior would no longer be as attractive to young players. Then you've just lost the best development program there is because it would really benefit one prospect per team every few years.

It would be a devastating blow to hockey as a whole.

• Upvote 1

I'm concerned about this decision we might have to make with Juolevi next year, we got Hutton, Tryamkin and Edler solidly ahead of him on the depth chart, so even if he blows our socks off early on and clearly shows he's ready in all areas of the game, we won't have ice time for him.

I really think he needs to be in the AHL, if he could be one of the top leaders on the blueline (and I think he'll be capable) he could have confidence and develop his overall game, maybe he could work to expand his offensive game. Then be ready to really be a key contributor when he does step in. 

I think the AHL next year is going to be the best place for him to develop his game but we will have to see what happens. I think going to Europe might not be the right way to go either, because its a different style game, if he develops playing to that style, it will just be an adjustment he will have to make when he comes back the year after.