The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Goalies are going to have it bad enough with Boeser and Pettersson firing one-timers, but once Ollie starts with the no-look passes it's going to be open nets and no chance.

Future 1st unit PP could look something like this:

Horvat as net front presence

Boeser at the right side, Ovechkin spot with one timer

Pettersson at the left side for the left side one timer

Juolevi as the point Dman

Dahlen as the guy who is down the middle receiving and making passes, and retrieving lose pucks.

Horvat (net front)

Boeser (rightside one timer)           Dahlen (in the middle retrieving lose pucks)             Pettersson (leftside one timer)

Juolevi (puck moving point man)

This unit would definitely be one of the top PP units :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I always try to be patient with prospects as they all take there own time to develop.  I've never been concerned that he wouldn't make the NHL or that he wouldn't be a decent player however I was a bit concerned that we picked him too early. In my mind you need to get a very good player at that draft position or you have set your team back a year, now it doesn't have to be the best player as with hundreds of following picks there is bound to be some players better. However with his play this year he is certainly putting my mind at ease that he is indeed going to be a very good player or hopefully great player.  

28 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Dahlen as the guy who is down the middle receiving and making passes, and retrieving lose pucks.

Horvat (net front)

Boeser (rightside one timer)           Dahlen (in the middle retrieving lose pucks)             Pettersson (leftside one timer)

Gadjovich in the middle, then we're set :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gadjovich in the middle, then we're set :)

FYI, I have a similar version of the 2nd unit PP:

Gadjovic (net front)

Lind (rightside one timer)                    Gaudette (in the middle)                         Goldobin (leftside one timer)

Stecher (point man)

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I said it before Olli Juolevi is going to be a player like Alex Pietrangelo.

Not just talking about the game style he plays, but did you know Alex Pietrangelo is leading all Dman in points with 20 pts in 22 games?

Pietrangelo is so silky smooth but goes under the radar.  Isn't excellent in anything by any means, but is solid in all facets of the game, he doesn't get the respect nor the notoriety.  Often over shadowed by those around him especially like in his draft class Drew Doughty in 2008. 

Juolevi IMO is exactly like Pietrangelo.  Is going to get overshadowed by guys like Chychrun in Arizona or Sergachyov in Tampa, but Olli is just as good however, doesn't get the same level of respect.  Juolevi is so smart, so smooth, and so subtle is his game that you won't notice very much but that is exactly why he is so effective.  Can go quiet in a game, where you just don't notice him at all, but when you look at the score sheet, he is racking up the numbers.

Imagine when Juolevi finally figures out to defend more aggressively/assertively and use his full physical tools on top of his already highly notable IQ/awareness?  He is going to be something special.  

Whether the comparison will be accurate or not I don’t know (could see it though), but the only defenceman I’d take over Pietrangelo right now is maybe Hedman. Alex is incredibly under rated. 

43 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Horvat (net front)

Meh on Dahlen... I’d like to see him make the show before I start pencilling him in on the top PP unit. Pouliot could play on a top unit me thinks....

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Horvat (net front)

Jonah Gadjovich for the net presence, Baer for the left side set up player, Lind for the other side and Pouloit and Stecher on points.  Lind can play center and wing. 

Replace Stecher with Dahlin from us wining the lotto this year!  Wicked. 

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Horvat (net front)

How about throwing in Gadjovich instead of Dahlen and have him and Bo wreck havoc around the crease? ;)

I’ve posted an all time chart like this in the Pettersson thread a few times, but gosh darn it, our boy Olli (who is also at #2 in his respective league) really deserves one too. ::D

C2ED763E-694B-475E-A53A-30D4581AFB6D.thumb.png.f4c3583473e06874e66114d99c7d59dc.png

On a side note, re: my earlier post, I’m not saying that just because Juolevi is showing so well on the all time Liiga U20 list that he’s necessarily going to go on to have the kind of career some of those Finnish legends had in the NHL (not that I’m ruling it out). But for the 11 players I mentioned, there are about 60 who just never made it. What I am saying is that, of the Finnish league players who posted numbers as U20s, the guys who made it to the NHL tended to have rather good careers. And that scoring at the kind of rate Olli is currently managing in Liiga, and as his age, projects rather well in terms of future NHL production. Of course, that all depends on him being one of the guys that makes it to the NHL. But on that point, I have a fair deal of faith, as I believe Juolevi’s game is well suited to today’s NHL. He just needed time to mature and develop (which we knew on draft day), and we’re starting to really see signs of his potential (as a professional) now.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Posted better chart image