The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Once his team is eliminated he's free to play in the AHL.

Definitely should, even if he doesn't get in any games.  Gives him the chance to experience the pro game, and the Comets might not even make the playoffs anyway.  The Canucks have certainly not written him off starting with the big team in the Fall either.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Same people who compare Virtanen to Ehlers, Nylander, and Ritchie? :o

Yes. But that debate is different from Juolevi vs Tkachuk debate.

Ehlers has shown that he is a top line winger, Nylander has shown that he is a top 6 winger. No one denies that Ehlers (or Nylander) would have been the better pick based on the performances up to this season. 

Juolevi has not played a single game for us so comparing Tkahuck to Juolevi is really pointless right now. If those people start complaining about it after Juolevi struggles to transition to the NHL then that's acceptable. As a fan, you have the right to complain. In fact, it is your job is to complain but complaining that we missed the boat on Tkachuk now when we've seen nothing from Juolevi so far? That's just immature.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Once his team is eliminated he's free to play in the AHL.

That would be huge.  That would go along way for him to prove he is capable of contending for a roster spot next season.  If he can be a steady and reliable D in Utica. omg so exciting lol :D DD

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

nah, I'm thinking Benning fast tracks him here for the last 5 games

Well they said he wasn't strong enough for the NHL in preseason. Not sure he's gotten a whole lot stronger yet.

I think he'd be more suited for the AHL level right now. We'll see if Benning is motivated to try and sell his young prospects to fans to end the season though.

I hope we see him at one level or another.  #excitinghockeyifso! :D

Edited by Rush17

Well they said he wasn't strong enough for the NHL in preseason. Not sure he's gotten a whole lot stronger yet.

I think he'd be more suited for the AHL level right now. We'll see if Benning is motivated to try and sell his young prospects to fans to end the season though.

Yeah I agree the AHL would be great for him.  But if you don't want to disrupt the AHL team and if Juolevi needs too see what the nhl is like in full force.  A callup to the NHL to kind of show him why strength is so important.  Might help him and the team next season.  You can tell someone something but until they experience it.. it is something all together.  He looked really bad on that 1st goal against but his teammates were not helping him in tonights game.

3 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

I hope the Canucks keep Juolevi around for atleast 9 games next year. Maybe keep him for a couple months but don't play him more than 9 gms

Unless he shines & somehow out plays our top 6 & earns it, I hear you,

Hutton, Stecher & Tryamkin have surprised us all in the past 2 years, so, there's that you never know scenario. But with them doing so it has made that jump now a little more difficult in a good way.

Is overseas a possibility playing with men rather than back to Junior if he doesn't make the NHL?

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Joulevi should start fresh in rookie camp and go from there. Too bad he's not eligible for Utica playoffs. 

Why is he not? CHL players can come up and play in the AHL playoffs. It happens a lot actually. 

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Why is he not? CHL players can come up and play in the AHL playoffs. It happens a lot actually. 

I am pretty sure he is eligible. Utica is fighting hard for that last playoff spot with 9 games to go so I am not sure Green will be very liberal with ice time. It will be nice to get him in the games in a sheltered role though.

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Juolevi cant' play for Utica next year, he is still to young, it is the Canucks, Europe or back to junior, so I don't think he could play there this playoffs.

Dude. You've no idea what you're talking about.  If London gets eliminated he can play for Utica for the rest of the season and their playoffs. Similar to what Hodgson and Jensen did back in the day. Pretty sure virtanen did it a couple years ago too.

Said nothing about next year. 

CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their junior team not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Dude. You've no idea what you're talking about.  If London gets eliminated he can play for Utica for the rest of the season and their playoffs. Similar to what Hodgson and Jensen did back in the day. Pretty sure virtanen did it a couple years ago too.

Said nothing about next year. 

Well that seems wrong ....they won't let him play next year because he is too young but he can play this year...?  I don't think so.....

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Well that seems wrong ....they won't let him play next year because he is too young but he can play this year...?  I don't think so.....

I think so...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chl-no-intentions-changing-underage-rules-ahl-exemptions/

When a player's CHL season ends, they are allowed to join an AHL club on an amateur tryout contract for the remainder of that AHL season. But when the next season begins, the player's options fall back to the NHL or CHL if he's under 20.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DallasDrake said:

Been reading this forum for years now and as I am from Finland I decided to share my opinion of Juolevi since I follow our players closely.

Ive read here that Finland was supposed to "defend the championship" at u20 and were big flop. Thats really not the case. The team had lost all the core players of gold team and was among the youngest on the tournament  and consisted mainly of 17 year olds. Nobody here expected them to do much more than qualify from the group stage and that they didnt even achieve because of horrible coaching and how they built the team and how unexperienced it was.

People bash Juolevi of his play in WJC but the team was built in stupid way that there were too many pure offensive d-men and not stay at home guys. So the coach decided to play those od in offensive roles and Juolevi earned more of a shutdown role as he was the only guy to be trusted heavy defensive duties in every situation. And thats why he was the captain not because of his character he was just million years more experienced and better than other guys.
Their forwards were thrash. Altough former 1st rounder Borgström and this years prospect Tolvanen are making some noise in NCAA and USHL they werent really game changers. At least not at the time.

Now to the point. Every game Juolevi was steadiest d-man of the team and his passing and decision making were just one level above everybody else on the team and thats where the problem was. His passing was top class but their forwards usually just simply didnt have the skill level to catch them on center ice or make the right plays which made the whole team look bad. He didnt seem to have problems coping with other teams top players on the d-zone either. His shot selections made clear he was playing hockey in NA and rest of the team in Europe. He was looking to get rebounds and directions in front of the goal but there never really was anybody so even the Finnish announcers thought it was just a bad shot. And afterall that was just a short tournament where unexperienced and nameless team didnt do much.

I think Juolevi has much similarities with Sami Salo. After Salos playing days I havent really seen Finnish d-man who is so poised with the puck on the own end and always seems to make that easy and obvious play which is the hardest thing to do. Not physical but makes up to it with good hockey IQ and positioning. His shot is underrated and I think he has bit more offensive creativity than Salo. That makes him in my opinion potential #2 d-man on a good team. Absolutely not a game changer in offensive zone like Karlsson but really reliable all around d-man. I see prime-Edler(not the current one) with more agility and way better decision making. I was in the Tkachuck train at the draft and thought he was the obvious choise after Dubois wasnt there but I understanded the decision shortly after since Benning thought Juolevi were best d-man available and thats where our needs were. And we already picked grit with high pick in Virtanen.

Welcome to the forum

Here's a +1 for a decent read

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

http://prospectsannex.blogspot.ca/2010/04/nhlchl-agreement-why-juniors-have-to-be.html?m=1

And on a related topic, CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over even if they don't yet meet the age criteria listed above. So you could see 18 and 19-year-old juniors in the AHL late in the season. They can and do return to junior the next year.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

http://prospectsannex.blogspot.ca/2010/04/nhlchl-agreement-why-juniors-have-to-be.html?m=1

And on a related topic, CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over even if they don't yet meet the age criteria listed above. So you could see 18 and 19-year-old juniors in the AHL late in the season. They can and do return to junior the next year.

Thanks for the info....giving them a whiff of the Pro's before they can actually go there I guess,  still seems not right to me.