The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I believe he could once his season ends. 

It was so exciting to see Boeser for those final few games at the end of last season.  If this season goes south, it would be exciting to see Juiolevi, Pettersson, Dahlen, And Gaudette all get games at the end.  I really think our team will look a lot different next season, especially the PP.  Juiolevi is going to be our PP saviour. 

1 hour ago, BillfromVan said:

Sure hope that was a blazingly fast snap shot , not just a bad goal 

I think it was mostly the screen. Four defenders all make an attempt to block/deflect the shot and two TPS forwards cross over just as the puck's coming through. Doubt the goalie saw it.

EDIT: not taking anything away from Olli here. Good play getting the shot through and taking advantage of the traffic/screen. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I think Olli will still be a solid nhl player for many years, but his D+1 year was a clear indication that his game likely won’t change all that much.  He should turn out as a cerebral 25- 35 point puck moving dman. 

See him being that #3 guy on a good d-core. 

We we really need to hit a homerun on a offensive dman this upcoming draft, and hopefully one that can make the jump sooner than later.

Thank gawd that Pouliot looks like he’ll be a successful reclamation project.  When he hits full confidence and gets another year or two experience, he could very well end up being a legitimate top pair.

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, but the bolded part might be putting too low a ceiling on Juolevi and putting too much emphasis on his D+1 points totals.

Those numbers also need to be considered within the context of Juolevi's usage that season and how he was moved into more of a shutdown role in his D+1 and also played senior partner to a 17-year-old on his pairing.

And when you consider his surge in production this season with TPS (a scoring rate that currently projects at around 45 points per season in the NHL), there's still a chance that Juolevi develops into the future top pairing D he was drafted as.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. Just that the book hasn't been written yet. And that suggesting "his game likely won't change all that much" and that he's a future #3, based only on his D+1 performance, is likely a bit premature.

Especially given how well he's playing right now.

Exactly on the bolded. Hunter said as much in London. London did not have the offense after graduates from the MemCUP moved on. Had to play Joulevi more on the defensive side. Last year in playoffs Joulevi was the go to d-man for the Knights at both ends of the ice and on the PK and PP. 

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

I think Olli will still be a solid nhl player for many years, but his D+1 year was a clear indication that his game likely won’t change all that much.  He should turn out as a cerebral 2535 +/- point puck moving dman. 

See him being that #3 #2 guy on a good d-core. 

We we really need to hit a homerun on a offensive dman this upcoming draft, and hopefully one that can make the jump sooner than later.

Thank gawd that Pouliot looks like he’ll be a successful reclamation project.  When he hits full confidence and gets another year or two experience, he could very well end up being a legitimate top pair.

FTFY

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, but the bolded part might be putting too low a ceiling on Juolevi and putting too much emphasis on his D+1 points totals.

Those numbers also need to be considered within the context of Juolevi's usage that season and how he was moved into more of a shutdown role in his D+1 and also played senior partner to a 17-year-old on his pairing.

Lets not forget that the London team lost some key players that next year. Tough to put up points when your team is scoring at a slower pace. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And when you consider his surge in production this season with TPS (a scoring rate that currently projects at around 45 points per season in the NHL), there's still a chance that Juolevi develops into the future top pairing D he was drafted as.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. Just that the book hasn't been written yet. And that suggesting "his game likely won't change all that much" and that he's a future #3, based only on his D+1 performance, is likely a bit premature.

Especially given how well he's playing right now.

I wouldn’t say my opinion is solely based on the D+1 season at all, but see how it could have come across that way for sure.  Moreso what I watched in person at prospects tourney and pre season sort of cemented what I’d seen his trend on paper looked like.  His second WJHC was also a disappointment though I get it’s a nothing tournament to judge a players projection and they lost a lot of their gold medal team to the nhl. 

Im glad he’s playing for Sami Salo.  That’ll be a huge mentor in taking the next step.  I just see more of a vanilla player here than what I’d like to see in a top pair dman.   If he ends up putting up 45+ points in the nhl I’ll be pleasantly shocked.  That’s not the commonality it used to be.  

And hey, a solid #3 dman that can fit into today’s nhl ain’t nothing to sneeze at, I’m sure you’d agree there.  

Edited by 70seven
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I wouldn’t say my opinion is solely based on the D+1 season at all, but see how it could have come across that way for sure.  Moreso what I watched in person at prospects tourney and pre season sort of cemented what I’d seen his trend on paper looked like.  His second WJHC was also a disappointment though I get it’s a nothing tournament to judge a players projection and they lost a lot of their gold medal team to the nhl. 

Im glad he’s playing for Sami Salo.  That’ll be a huge mentor in taking the next step.  I just see more of a vanilla player here than what I’d like to see in a top pair dman.   If he ends up putting up 45+ points in the nhl I’ll be pleasantly shocked.  That’s not the commonality it used to be.  

And hey, a solid #3 dman that can fit into today’s nhl ain’t nothing to sneeze at, I’m sure you’d agree there.  

That's fair. And again, I mostly agree.

Just felt the part about his D+1 giving a "clear indication" of what he is (and will be) was something I'd challenge. Or at least try to add some context to.

Personally, I see Olli becoming something in the 2-3 range on a good D order. So we're really not far apart. 

But I don't see it fixed yet. He still has 1/2 upside IMO, and his current run supports this. If he maintains his current Liiga production over the whole season, I'd say he's charting close to #1 territory (as a 40+ points, high minute munching, all situations guy--basically what I consider a 1D). 

I'm not necessarily banking on it. Need to see a bigger sample of sustained Liiga production, and springboarding from that into some NA pro success next year. Lots still to prove. But I'm also not ruling it out.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That's fair. And again, I mostly agree.

Just felt the part about his D+1 giving a "clear indication" of what he is (and will be) was something I'd challenge. Or at least try to add some context to.

Personally, I see Olli becoming something in the 2-3 range on a good D order. So we're really not far apart. 

But I don't see it fixed yet. He still has 1/2 upside IMO, and his current run supports this. If he maintains his current Liiga production over the whole season, I'd say he's charting close to #1 territory (as a 40+ points, high minute munching, all situations guy--basically what I consider a 1D). 

I'm not necessarily banking on it. Need to see a bigger sample of sustained Liiga production, and springboarding from that into some NA pro success next year. Lots still to prove. But I'm also not ruling it out.

Do you have any specific comparables of LIGA to NHL production for dmen?

Is that metric generally weighted the same for dmen vs forwards? 

How does age change the metric?

Just curious how that all works exactly.  We all know that lower level production has little quantification for what an nhl production looks like, save the exceptional talent. 

For the most part, my opinion is based on the 6 times I’ve seen Olli live, combined with the 12-18 times I’ve watched him play on TV.  Yup the dreaded eye test lol.  

I’ve noticed some concerning factors regarding decision making quite honestly, and that’s supposed to be his bread and butter.  Whether it was puck retrieval, breakouts, or working the PP...  and this was for the most part vs his peers....

I have yet yet to see him in a liga game, but  hopefully I just watched too small of a sample size at the junior level. He has the tools for sure...  great skater, good outlet passes, defends well with his stick, which is something that’ll have to evolve with physical maturity. 

Edited by 70seven

15 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Do you have any specific comparables of LIGA to NHL production for dmen?

Is that metric generally weighted the same for dmen vs forwards? 

How does age change the metric?

Just curious how that all works exactly.  We all know that lower level production has little quantification for what an nhl production looks like, save the exceptional talent. 

I'd have to have a closer look. Maybe if I get some spare time later.

The numbers I mentioned were quick and dirty estimates extrapolating a projection  for Juolevi's current pace from his previous weeks' SEAL (Situational, Era, Age, League adjusted scoring) factors and expected NHL points.

EDIT: a quick way to get a list of comparables would be to open Elite Prospects' Liiga scoring page, filter for "all time season," defensemen, and U20, and then see how Juolevi compares to Liiga players who went on to the NHL.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'd have to have a closer look. Maybe if I get some spare time later.

The numbers I mentioned were quick and dirty estimates extrapolating a projection  for Juolevi's current pace from his previous weeks' SEAL (Situational, Era, Age, League adjusted scoring) factors and expected NHL points.

EDIT: a quick way to get a list of comparables would be to open Elite Prospects' Liiga scoring page, filter for "all time season," defensemen, and U20, and then see how Juolevi compares to Liiga players who went on to the NHL.

Oh cool.  Actually wasn’t aware you could sort player stats by age on that site.

cheers!