The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

40 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

If he has 5 points and is still minus 6... that is pretty dismal

You actually can determine how a player is playing just from the +/- WOW!!! some team should hire you for your incredible insight!

FYI.. He was -3 in the very first game he played in the AHL vs the Marlies and has been getting better every game since as he adjusts to the pace of the game and his new team mates.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think too much is being made of his +/-.  I'm not any scout or expert, but I have watched most of Utica's games this year, and watched Olli in particular.  Johnson's right, he's been solid.  I've seen him make the occasional mistake, but 95% of the time, he makes a sound decision.  Brisebois, and sometimes even Chatfield on the other hand.....

Now having said all that, and impressed as I am with him, I think expectations should be tempered.  He looks to be projecting as a solid 2nd pairing defensemen, which I think is great. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

When your goalies aren’t playing good and you are Playing big minutes, your plus minus is going to take a beating... the fact that people are basing so much on his is pathetic have you even watched him play?!?!?

The Comets goalies save percentage is largely a result of facing too many grade A scoring chances. The defense in front of them has been rather weak all in every game except one. Odd man rushes, turn overs deep in their own end and countless back door plays.  Now the forwards have to share in some of the blame but the sub .900 save percentages are not all on the goalies.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

When your goalies aren’t playing good and you are Playing big minutes, your plus minus is going to take a beating... the fact that people are basing so much on his is pathetic have you even watched him play?!?!?

The answer to that is 'no'. Plenty of stat watchers 'round these parts.

57 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The Comets goalies save percentage is largely a result of facing too many grade A scoring chances. The defense in front of them has been rather weak all in every game except one. Odd man rushes, turn overs deep in their own end and countless back door plays.  Now the forwards have to share in some of the blame but the sub .900 save percentages are not all on the goalies.

Answer me this do you think goaltending has been good? Other then that 1 game.

21 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Answer me this do you think goaltending has been good? Other then that 1 game.

Kulbokov has been very good but still has a 3.54 GAA and 0.898 SV%. He was the difference maker in the win Saturday against Syracuse. Bachman hasn't been as good. I don't think Demko's numbers would be great either if he was healthy the way that the team is playing in front of the goalies so far this season.

30 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Kulbokov has been very good but still has a 3.54 GAA and 0.898 SV%. He was the difference maker in the win Saturday against Syracuse. Bachman hasn't been as good. I don't think Demko's numbers would be great either if he was healthy the way that the team is playing in front of the goalies so far this season.

Good goalies go long ways when you can make those extra save and look at Bachman he’s lets in softy after

softy

On 10/21/2018 at 1:33 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

+/- is a terrible stat

Great team stat....all the teams who make the playoffs are "+" and most teams who don't make the playoffs are "-".

Have a look at the end of season at the team +/-, it kind of amazing when all the "+" make the playoffs and the "-" do not.

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Great team stat....all the teams who make the playoffs are "+" and most teams who don't make the playoffs are "-".

Have a look at the end of season at the team +/-, it kind of amazing when all the "+" make the playoffs and the "-" do not.

You have answered your own question. +/- is a great TEAM stat. 
It means NOTHING for an individual stat. you can be the best defender in the world and if your team is full of mediocre players playing a contender team, you will end up with a minus. and vice versa.

• Upvote 1

I would think Mceneny would go before Juolevi. I don't see him as being ready. still a work in progress in his own zone. 

The good news is that the comets only have one game on Friday, and only 2 games next weekend. so that should provide the youngsters with lots of practice time and some games before the schedule gets busy again. 

Hopefully, by then, people will get healthy

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm glad. OJ seems to be hitting his stride. This isn't a good situation for him to be walking into with us possibly missing our top 2 defenseman. There is would be nothing to gain as he wouldn't save us. Let biega and mack round out the dumpster fire defence. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah not jumping at the opportunity of throwing this kid to the wolves on that blueline. Defense is the hardest position to play outside of goalie so throwing Juolevi on that blueline gives me pause. At least if we had Edler or Tanev we could slap Juolevi alongside one of them as a safety net. Outside of Stecher this blueline terrifies me for all the wrong reasons. Lol. Let him keep marinating in Utica. 

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm glad. OJ seems to be hitting his stride. This isn't a good situation for him to be walking into with us possibly missing our top 2 defenseman. There is would be nothing to gain as he wouldn't save us. Let biega and mack round out the dumpster fire defence. 

This.

Also Utica's got a tonne of injuries as well and desperately need him to actually stay down there and play.