The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Basically what I see of Juolevi is the lead d man on Petterssens unit.  EP is a play driver and needs smart players to play with.  

Hughes is the play driver for Horvat/Boeser.  

Interesting how you word that, and I absolutely agree. It's nice to have two guys on separate pairs that have elite skillsets in puck movement. It's like having 40-45 minutes of smooth breakouts and transition from the backend. 

Elias Pettersson definitely drives the play and creates offense when he's out there. He'll need someone like Juolevi to facilitate the process -- someone who can transition the puck quickly to Pettersson's stick and maintain offensive pressure along the blueline.

Hughes on the other hand is a one man breakout machine and creates a ton of offense. He'll help Horvat maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone and make space for Boeser's shot. 

Whereas Juolevi gets the puck off his stick to his forwards to generate offense, Hughes maintains possession of the puck and uses his skating to generate instead.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, krutovsdonut said:

first time poster here.  it seems to me that josh morrissey is a good example of a dman who took longer like juolevi has so far.  d+3 he was in the ahl and he is really clicking now averaging 23 minutes a night early in the season.  i wouldn't trade him now for lindholm, who went 5oa in the same draft and made the nhl at 18.

hoping that juolevi plays out the same way.  while guys like morrissey and chabot weren't drafted as high, i don't really see that as a basis of distinction for the fact their nhl debut was delayed and they turned out fine.  the logic of saying juolevi is not doing well for where he was drafted requires that you compare him to manchild dmen who may have been drafted early and debuted earlier but also have lower ceilings.

anyway, it's maybe wishful thinking but that is what i think.

Welcome to the Doh nut shop!

I think you are right...as Oli said...it is a marathon not a sprint...

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Why does Edler get as much 5v5 ice time as Tanev even though he's slow? 

Because he's still decent at defending even though he's pretty slow and has 10 years of NHL experience. Also he's decent offensively and most important he's the best option we have. There isnt a better left defender to take those minutes. 

How does this relate to Juolevi? Personally I see his defensive abilities being very similar to the Edler we have now. Smart, strong and good enough puck skills to make a good breakout pass yet still a little to slow to be elite defensively. 

Most people on here are already hacking on him hard like they do on Edler, I think your proficy will be spot on when Joulevi does eventually make the NHL. He will be our new Edler. Most fans can't see clearly what they both bring to the ice. But NHL GM's do and that's why they want and need guys like this on their blue line. Not sexy, just get the job done and most nights keep the ice tilted in the other direction...but they ain't perfect and they have off games, and can look terrible. But 80 % of the games they play they are solid at what they do. Very good observation!

20 hours ago, JamesB said:

Thought I would weigh in on the Edler/Juolevi comparison.

First I want to agree with aGENT that Edler will be back. The argument that Hughes and Juolevi coming along will make Edler expendable is completely wrong. Benning does not think that way, and I personally am happy about that. Benning is not going to count on rookies to replace the best D on the team.

And Edler is easily the best D on the team. Yes, he makes some mistakes (who doesn't). But he takes the tough minutes AND plays well on PP. Admittedly, on a really good team he would be #2 or #3, not #1, but any team in the league would be happy to have him in the top 4. He likes it here and would sign for a reasonable salary. In terms of performance per dollar no other UFA signing the Canucks have done in recent years or will do next summer would be as good. And it is not obvious Juolevi makes the team next year and it would be a bit early to count on Hughes, although I expect him to be on the team. But, you don't drop a guy like Edler in favor of two guys who have not yet played a regular season NHL game. 

My biggest concern about Juolevi is the quickness of his feet. In pre-season of 2017 he got turnstiled a number of times because he could not transition quickly enough from skating backwards to skating forward with the attacking forward. In 2018 he was better and managed to avoid getting completely turnstiled, but it was close a few times and he just barely managed to keep guys to the outside. Edler is actually very good at making that transition, even though his straight-ahead acceleration and top speed are not that great.

My second concern about Juolevi is his passive style of play. Apparently he is becoming more assertive in Utica this year -- carrying the puck, using his body, getting involved in the offense. He certainly needs to be more engaged and more assertive in these areas than he showed in pre-season. Edler IS assertive in these areas. He can play a physical game when needed, he takes advantage of size generally, and obviously he gets involved with the offense. And he has a heavy shot that is getting blocked less often this year.

Juolevi still has a ways to go before catching up to Edler. I hope it happens, and I hope it happens soon. But we can't count on it happening this year or even next.

These are all great points to make. I think Edler could pass a lot of his skill set onto Juolevi when he does make the team. Could be a very good mentor to him as Salo was over in Finland. It only makes it better that Edler played many seasons with Salo so there is a form of familiarity there too, Edler could resonate well with the youngster.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ohmy said:

I spent to much time on hf boards, probably should have added that to my vent.

WHY...!? I haven't been over there in probably 2 seasons now. I would check in from time to time before that...but I never felt like I could wash that filth off me so I walked away and never looked back. People get right obnoxious over there, and most are "under" educated it seems. And have problems even putting a decent sentence together or making a point for that matter. Just a hack n slash site.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Edler - Gudbranson

Q. Hughes - Tanev

Juolevi - Stetcher

Gudbranson: Oh, God, please make my shoulder better.

God: Okay, but it will cost you foot speed.

Gudbranson: And please, God, let me start every game.

God: I can do that too, but it's going to cost you the ability to handle the puck.

Gudbranson: And can you make sure I stay in the lineup?

God: Who do you think I am? God?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Gudbranson: Oh, God, please make my shoulder better.

God: Okay, but it will cost you foot speed.

Gudbranson: And please, God, let me start every game.

God: I can do that too, but it's going to cost you the ability to handle the puck.

Gudbranson: And can you make sure I stay in the lineup?

God: Who do you think I am? God?

I'm not saying I'm happy with Gudbranson still being here, but that's just what I see. I don't think we'll be able to trade him and I don't think Benning will want to given that he just signed an extension last year. I put him with Edler because I don't want him with any of our young defensemen. I don't think he's complete garbage, but we need an upgrade if we're going to get anywhere. 

Personally, I'd like to see us get rid of Gudbranson and sign Myers in the summer. I'm not sure what kind of contract he'll be looking for or if he'll even want to leave Winnipeg, but I think he'd really help us out. He's making 5.5 million against the cap right now, so he'll probably be looking for something in the 6-6.5 range at least. If we can get him for closer to 6, I think we should:

Edler - Stetcher

Q. Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Tanev

Winnipeg will probably want to keep him and move Trouba, but it's a possibility as of right now. 

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm not saying I'm happy with Gudbranson still being here, but that's just what I see. I don't think we'll be able to trade him and I don't think Benning will want to given that he just signed an extension last year. I put him with Edler because I don't want him with any of our young defensemen. I don't think he's complete garbage, but we need an upgrade if we're going to get anywhere. 

Personally, I'd like to see us get rid of Gudbranson and sign Myers in the summer. I'm not sure what kind of contract he'll be looking for or if he'll even want to leave Winnipeg, but I think he'd really help us out. He's making 5.5 million against the cap right now, so he'll probably be looking for something in the 6-6.5 range at least. If we can get him for closer to 6, I think we should:

Edler - Stetcher

Q. Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Tanev

Winnipeg will probably want to keep him and move Trouba, but it's a possibility as of right now. 

I suggested Gudbranson + 2020 2nd round pick for Cody Ceci and a 5th on HF boards. Did not go over well haha. 

On 10/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, JamesB said:

Thought I would weigh in on the Edler/Juolevi comparison.

First I want to agree with aGENT that Edler will be back. The argument that Hughes and Juolevi coming along will make Edler expendable is completely wrong. Benning does not think that way, and I personally am happy about that. Benning is not going to count on rookies to replace the best D on the team.

And Edler is easily the best D on the team. Yes, he makes some mistakes (who doesn't). But he takes the tough minutes AND plays well on PP. Admittedly, on a really good team he would be #2 or #3, not #1, but any team in the league would be happy to have him in the top 4. He likes it here and would sign for a reasonable salary. In terms of performance per dollar no other UFA signing the Canucks have done in recent years or will do next summer would be as good. And it is not obvious Juolevi makes the team next year and it would be a bit early to count on Hughes, although I expect him to be on the team. But, you don't drop a guy like Edler in favor of two guys who have not yet played a regular season NHL game. 

My biggest concern about Juolevi is the quickness of his feet. In pre-season of 2017 he got turnstiled a number of times because he could not transition quickly enough from skating backwards to skating forward with the attacking forward. In 2018 he was better and managed to avoid getting completely turnstiled, but it was close a few times and he just barely managed to keep guys to the outside. Edler is actually very good at making that transition, even though his straight-ahead acceleration and top speed are not that great.

My second concern about Juolevi is his passive style of play. Apparently he is becoming more assertive in Utica this year -- carrying the puck, using his body, getting involved in the offense. He certainly needs to be more engaged and more assertive in these areas than he showed in pre-season. Edler IS assertive in these areas. He can play a physical game when needed, he takes advantage of size generally, and obviously he gets involved with the offense. And he has a heavy shot that is getting blocked less often this year.

Juolevi still has a ways to go before catching up to Edler. I hope it happens, and I hope it happens soon. But we can't count on it happening this year or even next.

I actually thought he was more aggressive/assertive this pre-season than last, or really than I've ever seen him. Looked like he actually improved that area to me although I only saw 1 full game. Stamina looked to be more of a concern to me.

I was thinking before these things are linked to missed time and being behind everyone else. I do agree his footspeed could stand to improve. Though I don't think he's necessarily a bad or slow skater. I want to wait to see him a month or two down the line. I think he should be with the Canucks come the new year, unless he really doesn't look like he belongs then gets sent back down. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dungass said:

Great night for Olli, great night for our D-prospects as a whole.

I am also watching Utica close with all the good prospects under 23, Juolevi, Dahlen, MacEwen, Briebois, Chatfield, Sautner, Jasek, Lind, Palmu, Gadjovich, ( Demko injury), -- Older player Boucher and Archiebald also playing very well. College Guys Hughes 19 and Lockwood 20, Jr players Woo18, Dipietro 19..

NHL guys under 24, Horvat 23, Boser 21, Pettersson 19, Virtanen 22, Goldobin 23, Gaudette 22, Motte 23.

The Future is very exciting...

• Upvote 2