The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Apologies if it's been posted before but it's the first time I've come across this GIF (Juolevi is #48). Concerning. I hope he's ready to start taking on some minutes next season though for the good of the org. 

2018-10-24-JuoBiegaCoverage1.gif

Let's try to not over analyze a momentary lapse. It happens to the best of em. When it becomes a constant issue then we can be concerned 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

Apologies if it's been posted before but it's the first time I've come across this GIF (Juolevi is #48). Concerning. I hope he's ready to start taking on some minutes next season though for the good of the org. 

That’s nothing, and one of the easiest things to correct.  The coach will just take this video, sit down with Olli and just go over this sequence with him.  We do that all the time.

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You're saying Juolevi isn't?

Did I say that?  Horvat got to work on his skating when he found out it just wasn’t good enough to be the player he wanted to be.  Juolevi is playing in the AHL, hopefully he is good at self-assessment, and that he is learning what he needs to get better.  Then we will get to see if he will do what it takes.  Even then, there are no guarantees.  A guy may be fit, he may have the skating, he may even be good with the puck, but it still doesn’t mean that he can process the play fast enough to be an NHL player.  At this point there are big holes in Juolevi’s defensive game.  We’ll see how he deals with that.  He struggled at first in the Finnish league, but by the end of the year he led his team in defence men’s  Icetime.  But this is once again another level - we’ll see how he develops.  And then there is the big jump to the NHL.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:41 PM, guntrix said:

Why is that concerning?   If he is the strong side D he did what he was supposed to do.  He was hoping the puck would come back.   His center should have had the guy out front.   He wasn't supposed to keep pursuing.    

Wow, if this is what you call "concerning" you really have less hockey background than I even suspected from your previous posts.   15 and 54 were so far out of position.   That is why OJ will do better with players who play  their position (as he did last year in Finland).   

• Cheers 2

On 03/11/2018 at 5:41 PM, guntrix said:

A 20 year old defender blowing one play is "concerning" to you? Seems like most reports coming out of Utica are positive, and the small sample size I have been able to personally watch in Utica would back that up. But you do you, concern away.

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

A 20 year old defender blowing one play is "concerning" to you? Seems like most reports coming out of Utica are positive, and the small sample size I have been able to personally watch in Utica would back that up. But you do you, concern away.

Lol i hear you! The kid is so young with a lot of talent, it's going to happen it just takes time. He could well be down in Utica next year too but as long as he makes progress that's all i care about.

Trent Cull on Olli Juolevi:

"Juolevi didn't have as good a game last game, but we like his progression. People can have off-games, and that's part of the development... its not an easy league. He's playing lots of minutes for a young d-man. Positive progress and we like how he's contributing."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

What do you mean if he is the strong side d?    Do you know what "strong side" means?   Biega was on the strong side and he was chasing, Olli should never have abandoned his post in front of the net, and it was more so the lack of intensity/effort he shows on the play.  I'm not cherry picking one bad play he's made, I'm just trying to hear more of your insight of defensive zone play/   

Yes, I know what the "strong side" means.   If you watch the entire play develop back a ways not the cherry picked segment, you will see OJ looked off his center and started pursuit but was squeezed off.   It happens.    Called hockey.

On 2018-11-03 at 5:41 PM, guntrix said:

And you somehow don't think his move was part of the overall strategy that he's been told? Edler does this stuff as well so it's pretty evident what he was doing was likely by the book.

Rob is also right that he was clearly squeezed off by his teammate and, no matter what he'd do at that point, it wouldn't have changed the outcome (unless if you'd prefer him to have injured the teammate squeezing him or something.

If you bring up a legitimate concern then I'd listen. It's not like I'm the highest on Juolevi to begin with. However, this is meaningless without any context including what was happening before, etc. The next step would be to take just a picture and blow it out of proportion due to a lack of meaning in the picture (like how memes are made).

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1