The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Watched the Giants vs Cougars game on Monday and I can see why some people are really high on Popugaev. He has some really slick hands, passes are almost always on point, and he skates well too (needs to work on his acceleration though). He does disappear for long periods of time and holds on to the puck too long because he wants to score himself. Doesn't use his size to his advantage enough and makes some careless mistakes. Good positioning in defensive zone but doesn't really try to defend. Reminds me of Virtanen in a lot of ways except Popugaev can play on the boards and is better at using his linemates. Even with his issues, it's hard not to salivate at his potential. Should be a top 15 pick just based on what he could become but not sure if Canucks can afford to gamble on another top pick. How cool would it be to have another huge Russian in the lineup though (Nikita2

The other guy that looked really good was James Malm. You could see that he was reading plays much faster than his teammates; created quite a few scoring chances. He's patient with the puck and had some great passes that his teammates couldn't finish. Only problem was his size. Could be a good late round pick (6th/7th).

If I had to gamble on a prospect, it would be this year, considering it's a much weaker draft. Next year is the year that's going to be a strong draft. If we're going to do poorly, it's next season :P

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If I had to gamble on a prospect, it would be this year, considering it's a much weaker draft. Next year is the year that's going to be a strong draft. If we're going to do poorly, it's next season :P

We won't be $&!# hot next year we will have no scoring. Sedins will be lucky to notch 40-45

Patrick, Yamamoto, Comtois, Vilardi, Hischier and many others have made strong cases so far in tonight's top prospects game. Looking forward to how this year's draft will play out. With the lottery, we have a chance of going up if we barely miss the playoffs

Edited by Beary Sweet

27 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

How'd the prospects game look? Anybody got some scouting reports? Screw qualifications, I just wanna hear a different opinion from what I can read other places.

Overall, very fast-paced, hard hitting game where both sides were just hitting everything that moves. Yamamoto, Hischier, Vilardi, Patrick, Cale Fleury, and Cody Glass stood out for me the most. Yamamoto and Hischier played excellent together. Both were setting each other up, Hischier had a highlight reel goal. Yamamoto looked dynamic, quick, and showed elite level skill. Vilardi showed strength down the boards and scored a greasy goal in front of the net on a rebound. Tall, strong, smart, and very tenacious. His skating seems a bit off as his explosiveness just wasn't there. Looked kinda choppy with his strides. Cody Glass looked very good. There was a lot of talk about this kid because he's improved so much and looks to be a top 15 pick whereas in the beginning of the season he was kinda under the radar. Patrick also had a strong game but did take a bit for him to get going. Turned the puck over which led to Hischier's highlight goal.

As for defence, Henri Jokiharju and Mackenzie Entwistle really stood out for me. Entwistle for a big guy had very smooth skating and played great in his own end. Jokiharju looked absolutely dynamic. Very fast, smooth skating, and piled up 3 assists, quarterbacked the PP. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 2

Vilardi in my opinion had the strongest individual game,  Hischier and Yamamoto were great too.  Patrick had a slow start to the game but it turned around and finished strong.  Glass and Comtois also very noticeable. Other strong games.. 

Rasanen 

Fleury

Popugaev 

Jokiharju 

Just now, cyoung said:

Vilardi in my opinion had the strongest individual game,  Hischier and Yamamoto were great too.  Patrick had a slow start to the game but it turned around and finished strong.  Glass and Comtois also very noticeable. Other strong games.. 

Rasanen 

Fleury

Popugaev 

Jokiharju 

Considering we are going to likely draft 10-20, will any of these guys be there for us?

16 hours ago, Odd. said:

Yamamoto, Comtois, Glass, Popugaev to name a few.

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering we are going to likely draft 10-20, will any of these guys be there for us?

By all accounts this is a wide open draft after pick #2.  Scouts have the same players ranked anywhere from #3 to late first round.  I'd say any players other than Patrick or Hischier have a realistic chance of being available at 10.

26 minutes ago, mangosteens said:

By all accounts this is a wide open draft after pick #2.  Scouts have the same players ranked anywhere from #3 to late first round.  I'd say any players other than Patrick or Hischier have a realistic chance of being available at 10.

That's excellent to know.  I bet JB will find us a really good player, even later in round one.  Maybe we get another Boeser?  Here comes the Cup!!!!

Kostin might be someone who has a chance of falling far. If we got him with our 2nd it would be a steal similar to the Oilers getting Tyler Benson in the 2nd last year. 

I'm really warming up to Foote. He looks like a beast defensively that is good offensively. He still has room to fill out but is already a monster. He could be a Gudbranson lite. 

I think this year might be a good year to trade up to the top-3 of its there. The prices might be a bit lower this year as the top end isn't viewed as super elite. If we could trade for 2nd or 3rd overall and land one of Liljegren or Hischier it could be a great move. 

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Kostin might be someone who has a chance of falling far. If we got him with our 2nd it would be a steal similar to the Oilers getting Tyler Benson in the 2nd last year. 

I'm really warming up to Foote. He looks like a beast defensively that is good offensively. He still has room to fill out but is already a monster. He could be a Gudbranson lite. 

I think this year might be a good year to trade up to the top-3 of its there. The prices might be a bit lower this year as the top end isn't viewed as super elite. If we could trade for 2nd or 3rd overall and land one of Liljegren or Hischier it could be a great move. 

Foote has size 16 feet. His arms must be so long lol. Definitely will be a good defender, and is putting up good numbers offensively.

Still hoping we can get Middlestadt, but liked what I saw from Rasmussen as well.

@S N Y P E R S 7 How does Elias Pettersson compare to Alexander Wennberg?

And who would be a good player comparable for Nick Suzuki? Someone like Devin Shore (very underrated prospect)?

I have a feeling Benning will take a flyer on a skilled playmaker type who isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas to make plays - the kinds of qualities he likes in a guy like Baertschi.

I know he didn't dominate last night but I've seen foote play a handful of times and if we stay in playoff contention and picking in the teens I pray he falls to us. The guys a beast. I don't see any weaknesses in his game and he plays a pro style that would translate well. A potential foote/oj top paring could be our version of weber/suter playing 30 minutes a night dominating both ends

It sounds like Yamamoto will be right in the Canucks wheel house if they are to pick 10-12. The more I read about the kid I like.

Smallish forward with a great skill set and has an incredible work ethic? Small or not, I'll take a player who shows up night in night out.

I have a soft spot for Hague or Foote, as well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

this kid is pretty exciting to watch, not sure how he'll be in the NHL, could be a Johnny Hockey-ish player......I think his ranting is 17-19ish in this years draft.

He's also grown 2 inches and is now 5'9. Late bloomer.