The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Interesting list by Button,

-Not surprised by Button not picking Patrick as #1..Injury problems,lackadaisical play,and a bit of an attitude could be the reasons.

-Button obviously thinks that Makar is the real deal...

-Vilardi drops,which is not surprising..Have heard very little about Canucks interest in him

-Mittelstadt I think will go higher..He's not good at pull-ups ,but great at hockey.

-Button has been cold on Tippett all year..probably citing low IQ hockey player

One thing to note is Craigs final list isn't based on where he thinks players will get drafted, it's a projection list of where players will be in their careers. 

So it's not like he's saying vilardi will drop to 6 or milttelsadt will drop that far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Makar is 5'11'', still time to put an inch or so, Karlsson is 6 feet, so not much difference

Karlsson was listed at 5'10.5" and 157 lbs at the time of his drafting in 2008. McGuire says in the clip that Karlsson was "one of the fastest climbers of the draft. Some had him rated as high as number 5." Sounds pretty similar, but Makar will definitely be heavier than Karlsson, so I don't think size is really the issue with him because he is already 5'11.25" and 187 lbs and will most likely be playing at 200 lbs when he is done I think. 

He does look extremely young in this clip, but he, unlike Makar, had already played a few games against men having played 13 games in the SHL. This is the biggest question surrounding Makar is the quality of competition. Do you take a chance on that and select him as high as #5? I would. Especially, given that we are looking to develop a player of his skill set into our lineup. I would prefer a center in this draft, but if we can some how swing another pick, then I would take Makar with one of them. 

EDIT: I honestly think in terms of a direct comparison we should be looking at a guy like Kris Letang for Cale Makar. Letang plays at 6'0" and 201 lbs currently and is the driving force of Pittsburgh's offence from the back end (when healthy). I believe Makar will be at least Letang's size once he reaches the NHL and will play a similar type of game as well. I would put Letang like production has his reasonable expectation - potentially more depending on how offensively driven the team he plays for ends up being. I know Karlsson is the flavour of the year because he is absolutely dominating in the rink, but I actually think Letang is a better comparison. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

That's a tough one but I think I'd take Heiskanen just slightly.

Watching Makar in the RBC made the difference for me.  The guy plays the entire game with his head up, is an exceptional skater, has great puck skills, and sees the game really well.  He might be a couple years away, but he will be a dynamic player for whomever gets him.  If JB can turn Tanev into #3, I hope he takes Makar.  Then Colorado takes Hiskanen at 4 and we get Vilardi at 5.  I think those two pieces would make our completed rebuild more competitive.

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

That's a tough one but I think I'd take Heiskanen just slightly.

Yeah, that would probably be my choice as well.  

It does seem like he has a fair amount of interest in Petterson though. I wonder if he is thinking of him at 5.....or trading the 5 down to 8 or 9 and picking up a 2nd round pick...or packaging our 2nds and a prospect to get into the 10-15 range.

Just now, BCNate said:

Yeah, that would probably be my choice as well.  

It does seem like he has a fair amount of interest in Petterson though. I wonder if he is thinking of him at 5.....or trading the 5 down to 8 or 9 and picking up a 2nd round pick...or packaging our 2nds and a prospect to get into the 10-15 range.

I like Petterson but would rather have Vilardi, Heiskanen if available. If not have at er. 

4 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I like Petterson but would rather have Vilardi, Heiskanen if available. If not have at er. 

I think he would have to trade down to take Petterson.  I can't imagine him using the #5 pick on him.  He would likely be there in the 8- 10 range.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I swear if we pass on Vilardi at 5, I will be Bennings number 1 hater. 

I've been reading similar things from a lot of people which is funny because when I first was saying that he was my favorite people were telling me he had a low offensive ceiling and was the one guy they didn't want.  Opinions have changed big time (not specifically you mess but just in general.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nowhereman said:

I'm assuming you haven't been following the recent combine info? Makar has gone through a growth spurt and is pushing 6ft. By the time he's done growing, he'll likely be comparable to the weight and height of Karlsson, Keith, Josi, Letang, etc.

What's wrong with that? This isn't 1998, when sloths like Hatcher ruled the roost. 

What's his exact combine measurements? I haven't found an official one on NHL.com but I found some numbers from TheHockeyWriters. Makar is 5'11" and 187 lbs according to them.

22 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

What's his exact combine measurements? I haven't found an official one on NHL.com but I found some numbers from TheHockeyWriters. Makar is 5'11" and 187 lbs according to them.

187.44 Lbs. and 5' 11.25"....give or take a gram or millimeter....from the same source you quoted.

• Upvote 1

So I promised to add something on Martin Nečas. I tracked some data and watched him play in the Czech Extraliga.

The thing that scares me a little was a context in which he played the season. He started on the first line alongside Martin Erat and Marek Kvapil, two experienced guys and stars in the league. Then he was bumped around a lot. He was not trusted by coaches as he averaged drop more than a minute from period 1 to period 3 in time on ice. Then, he was used mainly in the offensive zone. His team won the title and his possession numbers were above average but considering the context, nothing special in my eyes. He was the creative guy on the ice most of the time, much more in playmaking role (paradoxically he had more goals than assists at even strength). When entering the zone he tried to carry the puck instead of dumping in but his share of zone entries was not big overall. He had 18% shooting percentage which is not easy to repeat. I liked his play in his own end. He was able to escape out of trouble or to find creative passes under pressure when on the puck. He has a quick feet and can use them for his advantage in these situations. 

To summarize, he had a solid season, he was aware in his own end. He showed creative plays resulting in zone exits or creating good position on offense. In my opinion he was not that exciting in zone entries and in offence generally (the question is what was his role on the ice). To compare, I liked Filip Chytil´s offensive game more. Martin is the most complete Czech prospect going into the draft but I can see some uncertainty here.

Edited by pmalina
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, pmalina said:

So I promised to add something on Martin Nečas. I tracked some data and watched him play in the Czech Extraliga.

The thing that scares me a little was a context in which he played the season. He started on the first line alongside Martin Erat and Marek Kvapil, two experienced guys and stars in the league. Then he was bumped around a lot. He was not trusted by coaches as he averaged drop more than a minute from period 1 to period 3 in time on ice. Then, he was used mainly in the offensive zone. His team won the title and his possession numbers were above average but considering the context, nothing special in my eyes. He was the creative guy on the ice most of the time, much more in playmaking role (paradoxically he had more goals than assists at even strength). When entering the zone he tried to carry the puck instead of dumping in but his share of zone entries was not big overall. He had 18% shooting percentage which is not easy to repeat. I liked his play in his own end. He was able to escape out of trouble or to find creative passes under pressure when on the puck. He has a quick feet and can use them for his advantage in these situations. 

To summarize, he had a solid season, he was aware in his own end. He showed creative plays resulting in zone exits or creating good position on offense. In my opinion he was not that exciting in zone entries and in offence generally (the question is what was his role on the ice). To compare, I liked Filip Chytil´s offensive game more. He is the most complete Czech prospect going into draft but I can see some uncertainty here.

Thanks for that!

...several of us have noticed his shot seems a bit weak and I noticed he doesn't seem to take any slapshots at all...is that what you see as well?

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Thanks for that!

...several of us have noticed his shot seems a bit weak and I noticed he doesn't seem to take any slapshots at all...is that what you see as well?

Welcome, yeah, I think it´s more his style. He is not the one taking slaphots from distance. He is rather looking for different solution and can use his speed for that. He really likes to pass the puck back to defenders and I found it as a nice option when playing on a strong team trying to dominate the opponent. In other words, he was not panicking and rather tried to create something instead of taking easier shots.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

One thing to note is Craigs final list isn't based on where he thinks players will get drafted, it's a projection list of where players will be in their careers. 

So it's not like he's saying vilardi will drop to 6 or milttelsadt will drop that far.

I had no idea Casey Mittelstadt looked like this.  That is an incredibly goofy looking kid.  I say hard pass on this guy.  That is a face only a mother would love.

th.jpg

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I had no idea Casey Mittelstadt looked like this.  That is an incredibly goofy looking kid.  I say hard pass on this guy.  That is a face only a mother would love.

th.jpg

So you pass because of his looks? lol

What a legend. Mittelstadt.

Image result for casey mittelstadt

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS