The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

25 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

That Dahlin kids a bloody freak. He might be the mcdavid of defensive prospects.

I would be phenomenally excited to land that kid on the 2018 draft. Atleast we know we will be in contention.

last year when we fell out of Matthews/Laine contention I looked up the 2017 mock draft and thought about how we will get Patrick.  I'm afraid I will spend the next year falling in love with 2018's big thing only to get screwed by the ping pong balls again.   What a vicious cycle it is to be a Canuck fan

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Considering they didn't even interview Liljegren, and Hieksanen isn't exactly the type of player that fits the need, it sounds like he's leaning towards Makar.  Sad sad day in canucks land.  

I don't know about you, but I was pretty ecstatic Jim Benning didn't say, "the wild card in this year's draft is very tall centers who happen to be local boys"...:P

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He can't make it any clearer -- speed and skill, "more than anything", so even if at the expense of size.  Trying to get the bigger picture, it looks like Makar could be the guy if their desired Cs all go, and the "speed" mantra might exclude Vilardi but include Mittelstadt?  Would have probably meant Hischier over Patrick, too.

I'm good with Mittlestadt. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:
He can't make it any clearer -- speed and skill, "more than anything", so even if at the expense of size.  Trying to get the bigger picture, it looks like Makar could be the guy if their desired Cs all go, and the "speed" mantra might exclude Vilardi but include Mittelstadt?  Would have probably meant Hischier over Patrick, too.

That's what I think so as well. Jimbo's trying to target Hischier but probably won't get enough assets to get to number 1. His next guy is Glass but isn't willing to move up to 3 because he thinks one of: Pettersson, Makar, and Liljegren (yes, I think Liljegren is very much in the mix despite the lack of interview) is not a bad consolation prize. Vilardi's out due to lack of speed (but we may end up someday regretting missing out on his strength and spider sense). Mittelstadt could have been a factor but I think there are concerns with compete level.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Bo53 said:

last year when we fell out of Matthews/Laine contention I looked up the 2017 mock draft and thought about how we will get Patrick.  I'm afraid I will spend the next year falling in love with 2018's big thing only to get screwed by the ping pong balls again.   What a vicious cycle it is to be a Canuck fan

Just got to finish dead last next year because that top 5 is a heck of a lot better than this years and the top two are gonna be impact players!

Very interesting... based on what's come out recently in news outlets and interviews Benning and Co's top 5 could look something like:

1. Nico/Nolan

2. Nico/Nolan

3. Glass

4. Makar

5. Pettersson

Which leaves Vilardi, Heiskanen, Liljegren, and Mittlestadt outside of the top 5 maybe?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Considering they didn't even interview Liljegren, and Hieksanen isn't exactly the type of player that fits the need, it sounds like he's leaning towards Makar.  Sad sad day in canucks land.  

How so? Id be happy with Makar! Skating is his best asset, much like Erik Karlsson. He is filled with offensive potential and we need offence from the back end. I'm all about that high risk high reward type. No more safe bet 3rd line centre bull$&!#. I want a game breaker, Makar can be that with time. 2 years in UNI and maybe a year in the AHL. We can always get a UFA forward/Centre. Juolevi-Makar if they both turn out we finally have a true number 1 pairing! Im all for the risk. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

Very interesting... based on what's come out recently in news outlets and interviews Benning and Co's top 5 could look something like:

1. Nico/Nolan

2. Nico/Nolan

3. Glass

4. Makar

5. Pettersson

Which leaves Vilardi, Heiskanen, Liljegren, and Mittlestadt outside of the top 5 maybe?

I would tend to agree here...I could see a lot of malcontent Canuck fans passing up Vilardi (or even Heiskanen for that matter).

• Upvote 1

Benning is right. We need speed and skill. We have Horvat, Granlund, Baer, Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen all in the picture along with Hutty, Stecher, Tanev, and most likely Holm, Chatfield with Sbisa likely Vegas bound. That's why I feel Benning is leaning towards picking a forward. Now say if Vilardi, Glass are gone, they have a couple D options who have Karlsson/Werenski like potential in Makar and Heiskanen respectively but also Mittelstadt, Necas, Pettersson are fine options as well. I believe our D core and depth has to be one of the best in the league and can't forget the return of Tram after his deal is done in Russia. Therefore, I have a feeling we will go with a forward. Vilardi is my pick from the get go and I ain't backing away. Kid has star written all over him. Don't care about his skating issues as it can easily be fixed like with Bo. He's a good all around player and someone you can build around in the future. Makar would be my choice if we have absolutely no choice with the centers and Benning doesn't have any of his targets available. Solid, mobile, aggressive, physical, good in his own end, has the potential to be a good PPQB which is what we need. I like the way the direction the team is heading anyways. Young, fast, skill, meat and potatoes players is the way to go. We're going to be a contender in no time 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

That's what I think so as well. Jimbo's trying to target Hischier but probably won't get enough assets to get to number 1. His next guy is Glass but isn't willing to move up to 3 because he thinks one of: Pettersson, Makar, and Liljegren (yes, I think Liljegren is very much in the mix despite the lack of interview) is not a bad consolation prize. Vilardi's out due to lack of speed (but we may end up someday regretting missing out on his strength and spider sense). Mittelstadt could have been a factor but I think there are concerns with compete level.

Mittelstadt's actually known for his compete level. He may have had a lackluster combine, but on the ice he's a very hard worker. Bigger players don't phase him and he's very good at shielding the puck and moving it up the ice. If he gets stronger and more athletic he could be really good, as he already has the smarts and puck skills. I think he fits the team Benning is building, and would be very happy if we picked him. 

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Just got to finish dead last next year because that top 5 is a heck of a lot better than this years and the top two are gonna be impact players!

So expect us to finish somewhere between 8th and 10th last....

I have a feeling Makar won't make it to 5.  Just checked out McKenzie's list and saw that out of ten scouts surveyed, 1 had him going first overall and 7 of 10 had him going in the top 5.  Apparently there are many scouts who believe that Makar might have the highest offensive ceiling of any of the players including Nico and Patrick which wouldn't be that surprising.  

I see it going Nico, Patrick, Heiskanen/Makar, Makar/Heiskanen...leaving Glass, Petterson or Vilardi for Vancouver. 

5 minutes ago, Hafizzle said:

I have a feeling Makar won't make it to 5.  Just checked out McKenzie's list and saw that out of ten scouts surveyed, 1 had him going first overall and 7 of 10 had him going in the top 5.  Apparently there are many scouts who believe that Makar might have the highest offensive ceiling of any of the players including Nico and Patrick which wouldn't be that surprising.  

I see it going Nico, Patrick, Heiskanen/Makar, Makar/Heiskanen...leaving Glass, Petterson or Vilardi for Vancouver. 

Not the worst case scenario for the Canucks....

2 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Not the worst case scenario for the Canucks....

If there was a chance that they could land the Dallas pick. We could have Vilardi and Glass. Or one of them and our choice of D men.

I would take Glass and Vilardi and worry about D in the second round.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If there was a chance that they could land the Dallas pick. We could have Vilardi and Glass. Or one of them and our choice of D men.

I would take Glass and Vilardi and worry about D in the second round.

Judging from twitter feeds I have seen..Canucks are not getting that 3rd outright from Dallas ...The most Dallas will do is a swap,and theres no justification to cough up an important asset just for that...Its business as usual,just concentrate on the 5OA.

• Upvote 1