The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Callan Foote with the 2nd rounder?

Currently 6'4 and 212lb RH defenseman.  57 points in 71 games.  He has the pedigree being the son of former NHLer Adam Foote, and a product of the Kelowna Rockets program which has been churning out top NHL defenseman in the last couple of decades. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

I think people are underestimating how good of a goal scorer Tippett has been this year. Here is a look at every CHL player over the past 15 years (2002 draft) who scored at least 0.50 goals per game 5v5 in their draft year. 

Crosby           0.65

McDavid        0.64

Huberdeau    0.63

Drouin           0.59

Couturier       0.59

Debrincat      0.58

Grigorenko    0.56

Tavares         0.54

Seguin           0.54

Mantha          0.54

P. Kane         0.53

Tippett         0.52

Jurco            0.52

Fabbri           0.50

J. Gauthier    0.50

That's not a very long list. Especially considering Tippett is 6'2" and isn't a late birthday.  

Apparently, we don't need anymore scoring wingers.

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's my thought...it's not worth the pain only for us to end up missing out on the top 3.  Might as well be a bubble team, get some excitement from the season and hope for the best like the flyers did this year

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

To those of you saying that "tanking" shouldn't be done - let's face it, the Canucks were just terribad this year - finishing 29th guaranteed the Canucks a top 5 pick. If they got a few more points on the board they could be picking at #7 or #8 with tonights outcome.

One more point this year and they would have picked #1.  One win against Winnipeg last year and they would have had Laine at #2.

The more I look into it the more I feel like Glass is the 3rd Best Centre in the draft. I just wish we had some more information on shot assists though. I have a feeling the Mittelstadt has his fancy stats in a mess because of his linemates.

Mittelstadt has been my guy all year, but his 5v5 scoring, shot volume, and GF%Rel numbers a just too low compared to Glass.

Most of the top NHLer's score 2 Even strength points to every 1 PP point they get. Glass is right where he should be with that stat 33% of his points on the PP, and Mittelstadt is the opposite with about 1 even strength point to every 2 powerplay points (63% PP points). Vilardi is a bit high middle with 38% if his points on the PP

Once you factor in the age difference, and the potential for Glass to still grow taller and stronger based on his family and current height weight it seems like he has the most potential to be the best all round player. 

I do think Mittelstadt is going to score a lot, he's just so skilled with the puck. It didn't help that he played most of his minutes with crappy linemates either.
His two most common linemates had 15 goals combined this year, in 60 games!! CM was on the ice with them for about 71% and 59% of his shifts. If we had more shot assist data on Mittelstadt I have a feeling it would tell us that he is setting up his linemates much more than they are scoring. Still torn but either Glass or Mittelstadt are great pickups at the C position. Still not that high on Vilardi honestly, need more convincing!

Mittelstadt: http://prospect-stats.com/USHL/2016/player/821/
(Terrible Linemates)

Glass: http://prospect-stats.com/WHL/2016/player/26958/
(Average Linemates)

Vilardi: http://prospect-stats.com/OHL/2016/player/7156/
(Great Linemates)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I like mittlestadt but he is going the college route. I'd hate to lose one of these college kids and if we get him that will be 4 high quality prospects  from the college route.

Demko Boeser gaudette mittlestadt 

I'm worried were rolling a roulette wheel. but in all honesty it's more likely for a Russian player to go to the k..

I'm being paranoid lol

No, not really.

I have the same concerns. If you pick further down in the line, you can maybe accept there is a certain uncertainty. Boeser was picked 23, so there wasn't a lot of alternatives to his quality. So you gamble.

With pick no.5, you don't really want to gamble too much unless the player is off the chart.

26 minutes ago, Derp... said:

The more I look into it the more I feel like Glass is the 3rd Best Centre in the draft. I just wish we had some more information on shot assists though. I have a feeling the Mittelstadt has his fancy stats in a mess because of his linemates.

Mittelstadt has been my guy all year, but his 5v5 scoring, shot volume, and GF%Rel numbers a just too low compared to Glass.

Most of the top NHLer's score 2 Even strength points to every 1 PP point they get. Glass is right where he should be with that stat 33% of his points on the PP, and Mittelstadt is the opposite with about 1 even strength point to every 2 powerplay points (63% PP points). Vilardi is a bit high middle with 38% if his points on the PP

Once you factor in the age difference, and the potential for Glass to still grow taller and stronger based on his family and current height weight it seems like he has the most potential to be the best all round player. 

I do think Mittelstadt is going to score a lot, he's just so skilled with the puck. It didn't help that he played most of his minutes with crappy linemates either.
His two most common linemates had 15 goals combined this year, in 60 games!! CM was on the ice with them for about 71% and 59% of his shifts. If we had more shot assist data on Mittelstadt I have a feeling it would tell us that he is setting up his linemates much more than they are scoring. Still torn but either Glass or Mittelstadt are great pickups at the C position. Still not that high on Vilardi honestly, need more convincing!

(Terrible Linemates)

(Average Linemates)

(Great Linemates)

You're not the only one. 

Vilardi is not someone I'd want us to draft. I feel like he has the lowest upside out of Mittlestadt/Glass despite being the 'safer' pick. As Benning mentioned, we need a playmaking center with 1st line potential and I see MIttlestadt/Glass as that.

Mittlestadt brings a much needed element of excitement and enthusiasm with his electric offensive presence which can be felt every time he touches the puck. 6'1 200lbs (heavier than Patrick), blend of size, speed, skill, very creative, and he's also the type player to translate to the NHL much faster etc etc etc. I've kept saying this over and over that whoever drafts this kid, they've got a massive steal. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Derp... said:

(Terrible Linemates)

(Average Linemates)

(Great Linemates)

Mittlestadt is a great player but i see him in the NHL as a great LW'er 

Glass looks like a safe pick for a second line center. Maybe first. 

I think having a first line of 

Mittlestadt Horvat Boesser 

Would be a really good line. Heavy enough to compete with the big teams. 

Edited by kenhodgejr

Do we still have an outside chance at Vilardi if Dallas decides to pick Glass and Colorado picks Makar or Hieskanen? Colorado really needs young defensemen badly and Glass provides a lot of what Dallas is looking for. 

Edited by TheHitman

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

That line would destroy, especially when you factor in the shiftiness and playmaking ability of Mittlestadt along with his speed. He would compliment Horvat and Boesser well while at the same time being able to move down and center another line. 

25 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Do we still have an outside chance at Vilardi if Dallas decides to pick Glass and Colorado picks Makar or Hieskanen? Colorado really needs young defensemen badly and Glass provides a lot of what Dallas is looking for. 

I would take Mittlestadt at this point just because of his skill and hockey IQ which are higher compared to Villardi

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

I could see him as a winger on a team that's deep down the Middle. I don't think that's us, but maybe 4 years from now we have a different Centre to plug in with Horvat that Pushes CM to the wing. It would be nice to have that Versatility especially on the Left side where we are a bit weaker with prospects.

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I would take Mittlestadt at this point just because of his skill and hockey IQ which are higher compared to Villardi

My only problem with Mittlestadt is that it's probably going to be at least two seasons before his rookie season. Vilardi is most likely going to be in the NHL in the 2018-19 season. 

6 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

I think people are underestimating how good of a goal scorer Tippett has been this year. Here is a look at every CHL player over the past 15 years (2002 draft) who scored at least 0.50 goals per game 5v5 in their draft year. 

Crosby           0.65

McDavid        0.64

Huberdeau    0.63

Drouin           0.59

Couturier       0.59

Debrincat      0.58

Grigorenko    0.56

Tavares         0.54

Seguin           0.54

Mantha          0.54

P. Kane         0.53

Tippett         0.52

Jurco            0.52

Fabbri           0.50

J. Gauthier    0.50

That's not a very long list. Especially considering Tippett is 6'2" and isn't a late birthday.  

Too bad he plays like he's 5' 10".  He's got good numbers but he's not even the best player on his team right now and he hasn't been the one pushing the play in the playoffs either. He's not on the top line or the go to guy on the team. That's one thing you have to look for because it tells you a lot about how the coach truly feels about the player helping them win at pivotal points of the game. Dude's a passenger; hard pass at 5th overall. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

You mean the team that already got a first in MacKinnon, second in Landeskog, and third in Duchene? 

I really don't care how they feel.

Awwww don't be a whiner....

My point was Col finished dead last and still ended up picking 4th

Welcome to the league LV....you pick 6th. I'm wondering if Foley is going thru his old black ops roladex after Bettman had probably hinted they would get a higher pick with their first ever selection.

19 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

My only problem with Mittlestadt is that it's probably going to be at least two seasons before his rookie season. Vilardi is most likely going to be in the NHL in the 2018-19 season. 

Why the love for Vilardi? You know he played LW most of the season right? He also only won under 150 faceoffs according to OHL stats.

I don't care if it takes these guys 3 years to get here thru development, as long as they perform when they do get here. 

You wanna know why I'm not so disappointed we didn't take Tkachuk? Because when he is 25 and a UFA, he will possibly bolt while Juolevi will be an established top pairing D and locked up longgggg term