ISS - 7/4

Future Consideration - 16/6

McKeen - 13/6

CSS - 6/7

TSN's top 15 consensus (from NHL scouts) - 9/6

Cool. Doesn't tell me much. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Virtanen was not really off of the charts..he was picked pretty much except where he was projected to be (except by Craig Button..who obviously doesn't like shoot first wingers,,he's already got Owen Tippett at 20th or something like that)..

Joulevi was also projected around the range he was picked..Although,there wasn't a single reputable mock draft (that I saw) that didn't have Tkachuk ahead of Juolevi...These are the reasons why Benning gets criticized for these top picks...How some posters here are recommending picking Liljegren with the top 5 (who's rated in the teens by some) is just staggering to me...There is absolutely zero room for error this year.

Most mock drafts actually had us taking Juolevi if I remember correctly. 

On 2017-05-05 at 2:26 PM, baumerman77 said:

Who's interested in Benning taking the 18 year old 5'7" 139 pound Russian - Artyom Manukyan - with a pick in the later rounds? No doubt he is an incredibly long shot to make the NHL, but I'd rather take a shot with him in a late round than another CHL grinder - if for nothing else but the entertainment factor.

This is a joke right?

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

Glass/Tippett:

Pronman - 12/4

Hockey prospect - 7/11

ISS - 7/4

Future Consideration - 16/6

McKeen - 13/6

CSS - 6/7

TSN's top 15 consensus (from NHL scouts) - 9/6

Tippet honestly doesn't look that bad. I don't know why some people(fans)have him rated so low. Button has him low is that why? Vertigo Virtanen. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

He definitely can become a good nhler. I'm sure glad I'm not JB with this pick. It's going to be difficult to seperate the fake potential from the future stars.

I think Vilardi, Heiskanen and Mittelstadt are the surest bets to be top NHL players.  

11 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I have read so much negativity on Vilardi (on this forum) and I think he is going to surprise a lot of people.  I'm very confident that he'll be one of the best players in the draft.

I will be SUPER excited if we pick him.  

People will be mad at first but I think they'll disappear just like the Nichushkin crowd who ripped on Horvat 

I don't think some of CDC can use the eye test to judge some players. They only see stats. Vilardi is a lot like Horvat, how could we pass up on that? Has size,skill and leadership. We need winners. Vilardi seems like a winner to me. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Tippet honestly doesn't look that bad. I don't know why some people(fans)have him rated so low. Button has him low is that why? Vertigo Virtanen. 

A lot of post has stated high scoring winger, NS player w low hockey IQ (whether its true, I have no idea)... Virtanen springs to mind.

Also more importantly JB has stated he wants a C or puck moving D...

Just now, spook007 said:

A lot of post has stated high scoring winger, NS player w low hockey IQ (whether its true, I have no idea)... Virtanen springs to mind.

Also more importantly JB has stated he wants a C or puck moving D...

Yeah we need a centre but Tippet looks like a legit prospect. I'd be ok with Vilardi,Heiskanen or Mittelstadt. They all seem to have a lot of things going for them. I wasn't sold on Glass until I heard about his 5 on 5 scoring but now I'm cool with him as well. So there are 4 guys I'm ok with taking. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah we need a centre but Tippet looks like a legit prospect. I'd be ok with Vilardi,Heiskanen or Mittelstadt. They all seem to have a lot of things going for them. I wasn't sold on Glass until I heard about his 5 on 5 scoring but now I'm cool with him as well. So there are 4 guys I'm ok with taking. 

I honestly don't have a clue, who to pick, or in what order....

There are pros and cons with every single one of the top 10-15 players in this draft, and as the pages clearly shows, its anybodies guess, who will be the diamond in the rough.

Just our luck, to pick so low, when we might as well had been picking 10th and still walked away with same quality of player.

JB will be judged in the future on this years pick. This is, where his ability to scout players should be our advantage. The long knives are already being sharpened....

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I honestly don't have a clue, who to pick, or in what order....

There are pros and cons with every single one of the top 10-15 players in this draft, and as the pages clearly shows, its anybodies guess, who will be the diamond in the rough.

Just our luck, to pick so low, when we might as well had been picking 10th and still walked away with same quality of player.

JB will be judged in the future on this years pick. This is, where his ability to scout players should be our advantage. The long knives are already being sharpened....

At least it makes losing the lotto sting less. The 5th overall could end up the best player in the draft if JB doesn't screw it up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WeatherWise said:

Tunnel vision is the reason why people are not keen on Owen Tippett. He has the best shot among his peers and skates very well, but he possesses no cycle game whatsoever, is lost defensively, makes poor decisions with the puck, and is fixated on trying to rush the puck up and put it on net, or otherwise put it into the middle of the ice for a teammate. He will take shots from everywhere, even in areas where he is unlikely to score from. He is a one-dimensional project. There is no complexity to his game; plays die on his stick. He is a gifted, but low-IQ player.

Scenario: Arizona sits at 7th with their pick, and Tippett is still available, with his dad sitting with him in the crowd. Is their hand forced into taking him? Or do they stiff the kid and their coach?

11 minutes ago, WeatherWise said:

If the Coyotes pass on him, Dave will be as conflicted as Stan Smyl was every time he had to play the Winnipeg Jets and face his brother, Doug Smail.

If the Coyotes draft Owen, Dave will be as happy as Peter Forsberg was when an NHL team drafted his son, Filip.

Either way, I think he'll feel pretty similar to how Doug MacLean felt when Sportsnet hired his brother, Ron.

Woah sir, i liked your initial edit better, it was subtle. It's late and I thought they were related so be it. 

On 5/4/2017 at 6:03 AM, messier's_elbow said:

He might play a physical game but he's still small for a centre. Especially when we have a plethora of smaller guys already. Vilardi and Glass  give us some size up the middle with Horvat. If I'm wrong at the draft I'll admit I'm wrong but I don't see that happening.

See below.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:59 AM, messier's_elbow said:

If your right then we will take Vilardi or Glass. I don't see us taking Necas. We have too many smallish forwards as it is. 

We have Horvat who plays near 220 lbs. Sutter is not small. Gaunce is a big boy. If we need size up front, it's on the wing (in a big way)? Gaudette is 6'1''.

What we need at pivot is someone with wicked speed, agility & puck skills. The most obvious guys then appear to be Necas & Mittlestead? But that again is based on need. If you go BPA Vilardi, Glass & Heskainen remain, heavily, in the debate.

7 hours ago, WeatherWise said:

Tunnel vision is the reason why people are not keen on Owen Tippett. He has the best shot among his peers and skates very well, but he possesses no cycle game whatsoever, is lost defensively, makes poor decisions with the puck, and is fixated on trying to rush the puck up and put it on net, or otherwise put it into the middle of the ice for a teammate. He will take shots from everywhere, even in areas where he is unlikely to score from. He is a one-dimensional project. There is no complexity to his game; plays die on his stick. He is a gifted, but low-IQ player.

I would argue that Yamamoto has the best shot in the draft class.

9 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Tippetts skating is worst than Vilardi imo.. 

15 hours ago, cyoung said:

Most mock drafts actually had us taking Juolevi if I remember correctly. 

No they didn't...Most mock drafts last year had the Canucks picking PLD or Tkachuk at 5...Matthews, and the two big Fins (Laine,and Puljijarvi) were universally forecasted to go 1-2-3........

I have no problem with Juolevi being the Canucks pick,but saying most mock drafts had us picking him is completely false..Who's making up this narrative?...He wasn't the BPA...

• Upvote 1