The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

12 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

WOW, all that time and space on that big ice sure makes him look good. Can he ever skate as well. Looks like the Swedish Puck Bunny disease has finally worn off. Demonstrates great hands, loves to rip the puck and can thread passes. Probably could've had a few more points in that tourney.

If you go back 20 pages, I'm a huge Rah-Rah guy for Cody Glass but thinking more and more, and watching the current D on display in these playoffs, there is a HUGE glaring need on our team for slick D like Makar, Liljegren and Heiskanan. Either way, I'm excited for C or a D.   Heck, we could go into the draft and select 6 D and I would be ok with that.

Poile has quietly gone about selecting a ton of D for many years and just let them develop. Cant wait till Fabbro arrives.

Liljegren would fill a need for us as he is an aggressive, mobile, offensive defenseman. The only real issue with him is if he can learn to make the simple play more often. He can make a great breakout pass and spring a teammate for a chance when he has some time, but he should be better at moving the puck quickly when the other team is forechecking. Hopefully some of those errors can be blamed on either trying to create too much by himself which can be corrected, or due to mental fatigue as he would still be feeling the effects of mono. Of course, everyone makes mistakes, but he makes them a bit too often. 

10 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I really hope we pick this kid.  

He is a straight up sniper who plays defence.   

The kid can score and make plays. No doubt.  He also has sick hands. 

He is also easily one of the best skaters in the draft.  

The first pass is just beautiful. 

We have never had someone who can send the puck up like that.  

We have some really fast young forwards. 

Could you imaging them getting those passes all the time?

Sure, has has some work to do on his decision making skills and his Dgame, but what 18 year old doesn't?

That doesn't concern me at all. 

If you want to play the speed game in this league,  you NEED guys like this on your blue line.  

The speed and the passing skill he has, keeps teams on their heels and forces more mistakes. 

Dont forget he can go straight to the AHL. 

He would bring in that missing element to our team. The sheer amount of ice he can cover on a single rush is pretty amazing. I agree that having someone like that on your team keeps the other team at bay because he can beat them with a single pass. One play that they weren't expecting and failed to adjust to results in a breakaway the other way. We could have someone like that on the ice most of the game with him and Juolevi. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

@Hutton Wink

Or hell, keep the 5th and flip the DAL 3rd OA to ARZ for their 7th and 27th(?). Or Tanev + for the 7th & 27th... so many ways to do this.

From our POV we see a mass of players in the same tier, and while some of us have distinct preferences I would think that most teams would have certain targets that they definitely want more than others.  If JB is sold for example that Makar will be better than and more what they need than Liljegren, if the opportunity is there I think he takes him without further consideration.  Maybe they have a pool of "any of those 5 will do" but I rather doubt it, and much of the distinctions will come out of the combine interviews.  If your boy is there, you take him and don't try to squeeze it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

To add, between Liljegren and Stecher on different pairings we'd have much of the game covered in this aspect.  What we ARE missing however is a guy with the big bomb.  Stecher is decent but Hutton and Tanev launch muffins, and while Gudbranson and Pedan can fire it they aren't really suited for running a PP.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

From our POV we see a mass of players in the same tier, and while some of us have distinct preferences I would think that most teams would have certain targets that they definitely want more than others.  If JB is sold for example that Makar will be better than and more what they need than Liljegren, if the opportunity is there I think he takes him without further consideration.  Maybe they have a pool of "any of those 5 will do" but I rather doubt it, and much of the distinctions will come out of the combine interviews.  If your boy is there, you take him and don't try to squeeze it.

I agree to some extent. And certainly in most drafts. This one is especially flat though.

I think we have a lot of options this draft to get good players lots of places though.

n

1 minute ago, pluralsight said:

Not on topic but man they need to just give this guy a chance or move on, partner him with a stay at home Dman and let him loose.  He can make up for it in offense and if not, maybe time to move on from him.  I think he can deliver if Green gives him the ''green'' light.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

n

Not on topic but man they need to just give this guy a chance or move on, partner him with a stay at home Dman and let him loose.  He can make up for it in offense and if not, maybe time to move on from him.  I think he can deliver if Green gives him the ''green'' light.

partnering up with a defensive dman is such a fallacy for Subban.  Sure it allows him to take chances in the ozone, a bit.  However, his problem is in the defensive zone where he is beaten on a nightly basis and is also too small to deal with big fwds.  His defensive problems have nothing to do with him being an offensive dman, it's that he is just not a good defender and pairing him with a defensive dman doesn't fix that.

• Upvote 1

Subban is still a longshot.  Sure he can fire the puck but so could Weber.  He needs to bring more to the table, most specifically being a net positive contributor on the ice.  Brad Hunt has a cannon but can't stay in the league.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

n

Why tho?   You shouldn't have to partner someone up with another who's job will be to make up for the others mistakes all the time. 

36 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Why tho?   You shouldn't have to partner someone up with another who's job will be to make up for the others mistakes all the time. 

I am no expert here, but wouldn't 1 stay at home Dman partnered up with an offensive Dman be how the pairings are set-up?  The stay-at-home Dman and one of the forwards can fall back if someone like Subban joins the O-zone rush.  I didn't say their job was to make up for the others mistakes all the time lol, maybe you picked that up from someone else.  Like I said I am no expert just a fan chiming in.  

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

13 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

I think I'm back on the Lilgeren hype train. Wouldn't mind any of these guys. 

Glass

Liljegren 

Makar

Glass Liljegren heiskanen for me in any order. 

The more I think about it the less I'm excited for any of these players. I think glass can turn into horvat 2.0.  No other forward outside of he and the top 2 pass the eye test for me. I don't trust makar due tothe lower tier leave he's playing in (not that I'd be upset with him if he was called upon).

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I am no expert here, but wouldn't 1 stay at home Dman partnered up with an offensive Dman be how the pairings are set-up?  The stay-at-home Dman and one of the forwards can fall back if someone like Subban joins the O-zone rush.  I didn't say their job was to make up for the others mistakes all the time lol, maybe you picked that up from someone else.  Like I said I am no expert just a fan chiming in.  

A normal pairing would have 1 of each. 

Absolutely.  

But when one of those people is a complete defensive liability, who can score and that is it, it becomes babysitting for the defensive partner.  

Subban isn't close to NHL ready, and people are saying just pair him with Tanev and let him fly. 

Thats a total waste of tanev and his shutdown ability.  

16 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

A normal pairing would have 1 of each. 

Absolutely.  

But when one of those people is a complete defensive liability, who can score and that is it, it becomes babysitting for the defensive partner.  

Subban isn't close to NHL ready, and people are saying just pair him with Tanev and let him fly. 

Thats a total waste of tanev and his shutdown ability.  

Never mind that they both play right side.

Thing about Liljegren is that he is the only top dman in the draft could see pairing with Juolevi.

His biggest knock is his iq, juolevi his iq is his biggest pro for him.

At this point i wouldn't be shocked or upset with taking any of these 6:

Vilardi 

Glass

Mittlestadt

Heiskanen

Liljegren

Makar

i like all of them now

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Thing about Liljegren is that he is the only top dman in the draft could see pairing with Juolevi.

His biggest knock is his iq, juolevi his iq is his biggest pro for him.

At this point i wouldn't be shocked or upset with taking any of these 6:

Vilardi 

Glass

Mittlestadt

Heiskanen

Liljegren

Makar

i like all of them now

My understanding was that Liljigrens biggest knock is that he doesn't have a very good shot.  I have only seen him a couple of times so I can't judge but most of what I've read isn't glowing.  The positives for him that I keep hearing are that he's an amazing skater but it seems to basically end there

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

My understanding was that Liljigrens biggest knock is that he doesn't have a very good shot.  I have only seen him a couple of times so I can't judge but most of what I've read isn't glowing.  The positives for him that I keep hearing are that he's an amazing skater but it seems to basically end there

I feel like his shot is average but he is very good at finding the open lane and getting the shot on net. This is due to his agility and edge work in the blue line. If he can improve his shot (which he will) it will make him even more dangerous. As of right now Stecher is one of our only 

d-men who can get shots through traffic or change his lane efficiently. I'd be okay with TL if Benning took him. 

Edited by Camel Toe Drag
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

One of, if not the, best skater in the draft in both speed and technique. Stellar puck handling. Calm under pressure and uses his natural assets (skating/vision) to play reasonably well defensively and very well offensively. Adept at moving the puck up ice and once up, keeping it there.

His biggest weaknesses are typical of kids in that he can be a bit of a puck hog and while no slouch defensively (especially given his role), could certainly improve his defensive play.  He also tend to try to force plays. Things that should be relatively coach-able.

He's got the skills/natural ability/smarts to be a dominant player at his position. With proper coaching and development....

Would love to get another pick and grab him.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 2